BC Boards

Crazy idea

This is kind of crazy but I thought I would throw it out there -

What do you think about us getting a doggy friend for Bindi? A buddy she can run around crazy with in the yard. It would give her something to do...

Good idea or bad? :rolleyes:

I personally don't think it's a great idea. Two dogs can make twice the trouble of one! That's two to train, two to watch, etc. I have two, foster on a regular basis and am getting a new puppy this summer/fall. That being said, none of my dogs really play with each other. They will occasionally play a little tug or something but they don't chase each other around the yard and the certainly don't tire each other out.

I know there are lots of people on here that have multiple dog households that play together but for your situation I think it could be a recipe for an even bigger problem than you already have.

If you are determined to keep your girl I would say it is time for the whole family to really commit to making her a good member of society. If that isn't a realistic option then it sounds like the kindest thing to do is to let her go to another home. I have a husband and the dogs are mine. He will let them out and play with them in the evenings if I'm not home but they are mine to train and show. He can give commands but doesn't do a lot in the way of training. Even though he doesn't do a lot of the work with them he is on my side and we are work together to make sure all the dogs behave.

Olivia

Well, what about an older rescue dog? Say 4 or 5 years old? Could be fantastic. We had a year of HELL with our first Border Collie and we "did everything right" with her. When she was just about a year old (and still a spaz) we adopted a 4 year old Border Collie who had lost her job on a dairy farm. All of the young one's destructive and spazzy behaviors disappeared almost overnight because the older girl stepped in and showed some leadership.

I wouldn't toss the idea of getting a canine pal for Bindi out without more careful thought.

Under different circumstances I might would say go for it... but considering the strain already on your family given the current situation, I would have to say I would not do it. If your DH is already having trouble with one dog, I suspect another dog might just blow the roof off. I'm sorry. :rolleyes:

I have to agree. Getting a second dog means taking important time away from training Bindi. If you're overwhelmed now, it'll be worse with an additional, untrained, dog. However, a trained, older dog is an interesting idea.

Honestly, when I first got Cody I thought he was a terror. It was probably because I wasn't entirely ready to get another dog only 5 months after my beloved Ollie passed away at such a very young age (4 years old). The first couple of weeks I had Cody I was truly miserable. At precisely 9pm every night he would go crazy. He resembled the "flying attack rabbit" in the movie, Monty Python and the Holy Grail. He would literally fly into the air and jump on me. I still have little nail scars to prove it. Once I was opening the fridge, and he jump into it and grabbed an entire Turkey breast. I was fried by the end of 2 weeks. I actually arranged with the breeder to send him back. However, I realized I really loved him and I got some help from my bf at the time. To be successful with Bindi, I think you will need support from the entire family. I think it will work out if you and your family commit to her training. Otherwise, while it is very hard to do, you might have to find her another home. It's a hard decision.

I don't think so.

I have seen that happen so many times - more or less "our first dog is bad so I will get another to make it happy and behave". It hardly ever works. Especially if that is what people really expect - one dog will fix the other's problems. It really takes twice the training. Although dogs may like to have a "friend", it does mean both need to be trained one-on-one. Dogs learn from each other, but usually - you end up with two bad dogs. Maybe a much older, calmer dog, but I still would NOT recommend bringing in a new, untrained dog. Like Laura said, it might just blow the roof off.

Worst thing you could possibly do.

It is your responsibility to give this dog something to do. Why get another dog so you end up with two dogs you need to entertain? I have 4 dogs, they do not entertain one another. That role is mine. If you cannot find the time to raise and train one dog, the last thing you need is another. Take this idea and put it back in the junk drawer where it belongs.

I have dealt with hundreds of people giving up their dogs. HUNDREDS. From the first time you posted I could see you were fighting a losing battle because it's the same battle I see other people fighting all the time before their dogs end up with me. You posted one thread where you were so happy because you had exercised Bindi and she was tired and not being a pest - this is not something that should make you ecstatic, this is LIFE with herding dogs. It's every day. If you can't do it every day, you aren't going to get anywhere.

In my experience, this much waffling ends with the dog in rescue about 97% of the time. Raising puppies is just NOT that hard - it really isn't. If it's that hard for you, maybe you are not cut out to raise a puppy.

Your husband doesn't want her, you're too busy for her, she is too much dog for you. I know some rescuers will tell you to keep the dog and make it work because they don't want to see another dog in rescue. Neither do I. But I'd rather see her in rescue now than a year from now when she is neurotic and so frustrated that she's a basket case, or has finally bitten someone and has a slim chance at a finding home.

JMO

RDM

I was taking care of a bc mix pup for a family member couple months younger than Heidi . They only really played maybe 10-15 minutes out of the day . The rest of the time they planned and worked as a team to break every possible thing in my home and yard . Heidi would actually stand on top of his back so she could reach those higher places . Oh and that all happened when I was home , it only took them 2 seconds to find trouble , sneaky little things . From my experince my dog has only ignored older dogs that I've had stay here . That's just my experince .

I would only get another dog for me , not for my dog .

Laurena and Heidi

If it isn't working out with one dog, I'm afraid you would soon have two dogs to rehome, instead of one.

No offense intended, but that would kind of be like deciding to have another baby to try to fix a marriage that is already having problems. It doesn't really solve the underlying problem, adds more stress and expense and actually makes the problem worse.

Bindi is still a puppy, and puppies bite, chew, and generally misbehave. They do eventually outgrow it. Adding a second unknown dog to the mix really isn't going to help the situation. That dog could turn out to need even more attention than Bindi. If your husband is not a dog person, two dogs will cause twice as much aggravation as one.

Border Collies need a firm hand, lots of time and training. I know you care for Bindi, and if you are unable to get her into a good obedience training class (which is actually a fun family activity), perhaps finding her a new home would be the best solution. However, if you are going to keep her, you will need to have to find her a good positive outlet for her energies and train her to do what you want her to do. Training classes are really mostly for "training" the handler how to deal with the dog.

Worst thing you could possibly do.

It is your responsibility to give this dog something to do. Why get another dog so you end up with two dogs you need to entertain? I have 4 dogs, they do not entertain one another. That role is mine. If you cannot find the time to raise and train one dog, the last thing you need is another. Take this idea and put it back in the junk drawer where it belongs.

I have dealt with hundreds of people giving up their dogs. HUNDREDS. From the first time you posted I could see you were fighting a losing battle because it's the same battle I see other people fighting all the time before their dogs end up with me. You posted one thread where you were so happy because you had exercised Bindi and she was tired and not being a pest - this is not something that should make you ecstatic, this is LIFE with herding dogs. It's every day. If you can't do it every day, you aren't going to get anywhere.

In my experience, this much waffling ends with the dog in rescue about 97% of the time. Raising puppies is just NOT that hard - it really isn't. If it's that hard for you, maybe you are not cut out to raise a puppy.

Your husband doesn't want her, you're too busy for her, she is too much dog for you. I know some rescuers will tell you to keep the dog and make it work because they don't want to see another dog in rescue. Neither do I. But I'd rather see her in rescue now than a year from now when she is neurotic and so frustrated that she's a basket case, or has finally bitten someone and has a slim chance at a finding home.

JMO

RDM

Your message is very honest and wise, even if it's not what one wants to hear. I cannot stress how important commitment is to successful training. People think the dog is the problem, but in reality, it's the relationship between human and dog that requires work. When speaking to the trainer I always say that I am responsible for developing a positive relationship with Cody. Children are not raised over night, and neither can dogs be expected to be well-behaved overnight. It takes time, commitment, and reasonable expectations.

If Bindi isn't "working" for the family the most responsible and caring thing to do is find her a new home.

Guest LJS1993
This is kind of crazy but I thought I would throw it out there -

What do you think about us getting a doggy friend for Bindi? A buddy she can run around crazy with in the yard. It would give her something to do...

Good idea or bad? :rolleyes:

Not to hammer down on this topic but this idea could possibly be the worst thing you could do for this poor dog. You can't handle the dog you have let alone another one. Please get this dog to a good home.

I'm with those who say "not a good idea". Getting a second dog is not going to make your DH like Bindi, nor is it going to make your children cooperate with your training program.

Bindi might benefit from a canine sibling in the right circumstances, but what you describe doesn't sound like that.

Thanks everyone for your honesty. You are right - no sibling for Bindi.

That being said - and I know I am waffling like a crazy person - Bindi is staying. I'm not giving this dog up. She is awesome and we will make it work. I've read every one of your responses and I appreciate all of them.

I vow to you all that I will not be a whiner and I will be a better citizen of the boards.

e99cf300.jpg

Mary & Bindi

To be honest my first thought was to wonder: Why on earth you would want to add another dog to this situation??

I bet your husband would be really mad then.

If you have one untrained dog the last thing you should do is to add another. It would strain your marriage even further.

While untimately, which way you want to go is up to you, it sounds like to me, you have a decision to make, as you can't have your dog and husband too...

Guest LJS1993
Thanks everyone for your honesty. You are right - no sibling for Bindi.

That being said - and I know I am waffling like a crazy person - Bindi is staying. I'm not giving this dog up. She is awesome and we will make it work. I've read every one of your responses and I appreciate all of them.

I vow to you all that I will not be a whiner and I will be a better citizen of the boards.

e99cf300.jpg

Mary & Bindi

As long as you feel deep down that this is the best decision then go for it. If not, then please let this dog go to someone who has the time and environment for it.

I can only echo what most others have said - a second dog would be a disaster. Your husband doesn't sound to really like the dog you have, so bringing in another just wouldn't work. We are responsible for keeping our dogs trained, well adjusted and exercised - that role doesn't fall to a second dog.

Regarding keeping Bindi, it is obvious how much you love her and want to keep her - but you need to think what is best for the dog? Will your husband ever come around to the idea and actually like having her around?

I do feel for you - this is an awful situation to be in.

Once, a good few years ago, I had a boyfriend who really didn't want me to get a dog. I got the dog and I adored her. He didn't. We split up! My dog came first. I am not suggesting you dump your husband, but I think it goes to show that EVERYONE in the household must want to have a dog for it to really work.

Good luck.