BC Boards

Aussiedoodle?! ?! ?!

Have you guys heard about such thing?!

There's a dog that Ouzo loves to play with in our apartment complex, she's the same age as he is, and full of energy. I thought she was some sort of poodle mix, but she has incredibly long legs (she's a few inches taller than Ouzo who's already 23 inches) and has bunches of energy, therefore her and Ouzo are a perfect match for running laps at the dog run. She is waaay more spastic than Ouzo is and doesn't seem to care about any commands (owner fault, for sure), but she sure is a happy go lucky dog that can keep up with mine, which is perfect for us!

Today I asked the owner what breed Oreo was, and she said Aussiedoodle. I almost choked :rolleyes:

I looked it up online and it appears there are quite a few of these designer dogs. I knew about Labradoodles, and Puggles, but never imagined someone will dilute the Australian Shephard to come up with such a dog.

Who knows, there might be some Borderdoodles out there, too :mad: (What a nightmare!!!!)

P.S. Oreo kindda looks like this Aussiedoodle (what a dumb name!), but now she's shaved (!)

1c4c2520.jpg

Too late, a short internet search reviels there is such thing as Borderdoodle... and IT competes in agility

http://www.pets.ca/petsites/pic.php?id=2446

Accidental breeding is one thing... designing dogs, another...

And I found here a description of another borderdoodle, with a temperament identical to our neighbour's Oreo - clearly not a good combination

" I went to the dog park today with Fozzie, Gonzo & my friend Christine with her Aussie, Chase. Everything was going well, until....

A dog & a couple came in. The dog looked like a really leggy, goofy Portugese Water Dog gone wrong. It was black with white markings, had a "gay tail" with long hair, had a short wavy-ish curly-ish coat, and was bouncing all over the place. Like, allll over. Even Fozzie was annoyed by this dog, and Fozzie never gets annoyed. I noticed it had no recall at all and was just bouncing around pretty rudely.

We were sitting and the dog was jumping on our laps, but we laughed & just assumed it was a cute mix pup. Then, I asked the man what breeds of dog he was. That is when my worst nightmare came to life....

"BORDERDOODLE."

WTH? Srsly. The wierdest, most unnecessary, unbelievable combination of breeds... and it's intentional... and it cost $1200! This dog was a big ball of energy & nerves, combined with bounciness, combined with herding drive. >:[ I never would've guessed this dog had any BC in him, because he had none of the sensitivity or intelligence (no offense) or focus or loyalty that a BC has. It just seems completely wrong. I guess now that I've actually MET a doodle that completely messes up my favorite breed, it really makes me sad about this whole trend.

He looked similar to this dog, except his coat was curlier and his body was shaved pretty close."

:eek: :eek: :eek:

So now you can have a dog with BC intelligence and energy, but a total spaz and yappy to boot. And they are being sold to folks who don't do their research when getting a dog. Talk about a disaster waiting to happen...

And I thought Borderjacks were bad enough.

ETA Here is an article I saw posted on another forum today. Talk about sad :rolleyes:

I really like standard poodles. They are athletic, funny, playful, and friendly, and they don't really shed much. I don't understand why they are being crossed with everything else and not appreciated for themselves. When they're crossed with breeds with whom they have very little in common -- e.g., border collies! -- what exactly is the point?

Our friend Shadow is gorgeous and fun. She's moving her head here, so her ears are swirling up. (They don't really stick out that far.) She's a standard poodle, and proud of it, gosh-darn it!

shadow2.jpg

What is the point? $1200 a pup, I'm afraid. And for the buyer? The bragging rights that go along with throwing your money away in such a fashion.

I'm not really a poodle person, but I can see why some people love them. Those "dog designers" certainly aren't doing poodles any favors either.

I don't understand why people these days are paying up to $4,000 for a mix! Just go to the pound and get one there! :mad:

I hate all the designer breeds. We don't need more breeds! I like poodles, I like goldens, I don't like Goldendoodles! Ug. And the border-jacks?!?! puggles?!?! MAKE IT STOP!

As I'm sure a lot of you are aware, the origination of the intentional poodle crosses started with service dog groups. The idea was to have some service dogs with the brains, personality, and sturdiness of the labs and goldens (REAL labs and goldens...not the overbred crazy ones you see a lot of times) without the shedding since some folks that need a service dog aren't able to handle the grooming/shedding or are allergic.

It's a great example of good intentions gone bad now. You can be an idiot and not spay or neuter your cocker spaniel and bulldog and have an "oops" litter and sell it as if it's something special. For all I know, such a cross already "exists"...anyone want a Bull Cocker? :mad:

The part that really gets me is that people are willing to spend all that money on what is really just a mixed breed dog. For crying out loud, go to your local shelter and you can probably find the same mix for about a $50 adoption fee instead of $2,000. :eek:

And is it just me or do almost all the standard poodle crosses look exactly the same? Goldendoodles, Labradoodles, the Border Doodle up above (which made me cringed even though I've seen it before)...it's the same dog just in different colors.

ALL the breeds we have are a result of human manipulation. BUT, there was always a specific goal in mind. The BC has quite a few breeds in it. But there is a big difference in breeding for a specific reason of use and "designer" breeding. The problem is that it takes dedication and a LOT of "throw aways" to get just what was aimed for. As BayouBC said, the poodle/lab mixes were for a reason, but it wasn't left at that, people "liked" saying they had a goldenoodle or whatever so there ya go. Stupid/vain people=money!

I agree with you all, but on a different side, sometimes the inbreeding of purebreds irritates me as well. I'm not talking responsible breeders, but rather the flood of puppy mills, and the defects that come with that. I think I read a stat on Flat Coated retrievers - whom I think are beautiful, having a 70% cancer rate and really short life spans. The hip dysplasia in GSD, my poor beagles with lumps and growths everywhere, thyroid problems etc. etc. To some extent I would prefer a cross to take out some of the super recessive gene pool.

I don't agree with just adding to the flood of unwanted pups in shelters though.

--Denise

Oh by all means, puppy mills are just as bad. Unfortunately, while I'm just making a guess, I would expect that at least probably 90% of "designer" breeders would fall under the puppy mill/backyard breeder categories and are only in it for the money. So it's just a double whammy of BAD.

A perk of a mixed breed dog is that often times you have LESS potential for genetic problems since it's a completely random mixing of genes. However, if you intentionally breed Labs and Standard Poodles (for example), both have incidences of things like HD and repeatedly breeding those lines together aren't going to reduce the incidence...especially if it's just another backyard breeder.

I want a standard poodle very bad, but that comes with a price of anywhere between $2000.00 for a "show quality pup" (which I dont want) to $500 to $600.00 for a rescue.

I just cringe at all the designer dogs that people come up with, however, I see where it comes from.

My daughter showed Angus (daucshound, JRT and Shelti crossed mutt) in 4-H, we got him for free as the owner of the bitch was on her way to have 2 pups that she could not get rid of put to sleep. Ashli and Angus kicked AAA in obedience and got to go to State Fair where they took Grand Champion State Obedience over 200 dogs/owners. The judge (after awards) pulled her aside and wanted to know if she would be interested in breeding that way again, she would sure buy one.... She was serious (and a AKC judge). Ash explained to her that Angus was the last of his kind because he was neutered, as were all his brothers.

I've always wondered why the folks who wanted a Lab/Poodle thing didn't just get a Curly Coated Retriever. Not that Curly folks would welcome the popularity, they certainly wouldn't, but I don't quite see the need for a new breed.

You would think that between the Standard Poodle, Giant Schnauzer, American Water Spaniel, Irish Water Spaniel, Portuguese Water Dog, and a myriad of other breeds, people would find something they liked. Even an Old English Sheepdog, sans show clip.