BC Boards

I have been absent from the boards for a bit as I have been going through some stuff with Holly. Since her confinement ended, I have been letting her out of her pen pretty much all day and evening. The longer she had out of the pen, the more "aggresive" she has gotten. Tues. she was sceduled to go in for her filter test. When I tried to get her in the truck, she balked, she growled, then slipped her collar. And took off down to the woods. Would not come for love nor money. (inside the yard, she has excellent recall!) So, I'm freaking! Loose dog, no collar much less tags, and sometimes aggresive! Well, after a bit, she came back up out of the woods and still would not come to me. She got down by the shed into a corner area, so while she is sniffing around, I get to her and grab her, not hard or mean like, just so I could get her collar back on. She turned on me, and viciously attacked my wrist. Puncture wound, tore skin(not bleeding) and a nice blood blister! Then she took off again around the corner. I prayed, please let her go in the chicken pen. She did, and I slammed the door shut! Went and got DH to hold door while I went in and got her collar on her. She acted so happy to see me. Let me put the collar back on her(tighter this time!) and walk her back to the yard. Night before last, Holly was harrassing Cheyenne. Pushing against her, blocking her movements etc. DH tried to verbally get her to stop, to no avail. Then he tried pushing her back and she growled. So then he used his foot, and thankfully he had his boots on as she attacked his foot! I hollared at her and she came and I penned her. Later, when she was let out again, she was all lovey dovey to DH. It's like, yeah, I will chew your arm or leg off, but later I'll just love you to death! It's like she is fine one minute, and the next psycho queen. I have used my leg or foot to push her out of the way or even to back off Cheyenne. Sometimes she is fine, other times Cujo. I spoke to my vet. We pretty much decided to euthenize. If I couldn't trust her, no way could I adopt her out. There is a laundry list of other things off with her, but this is the biggy. I posted about this on the rescue board. (PRBCR) Painted-Ponies related a story about a chow she had that acted similar to Holly until after her being spayed. So, I am going ahead next tues. and have her spayed, and see what changes if any happen. Euthenasia should be a last resort, so in light of this info, I have to in all good conciousness give her this chance. Right now, she is layed out on the floor on one side of me, Skip on the other, Jackson under his bench, Cheyenne sleeping by the front door. All are tuckered from some good excercise. Who would think that in the next hour, all hell could break loose? LOL Life with one dog is okay, life with two is interresting, more than two, it's an adventure!

Please send mojo, prayers and/or best wishes for Holly. She's gonna need them.

Gosh, I'm sorry you are having to deal with this Linda. I know how difficult this can be. Aggression sucks. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and for Holly. But, whatever decision you make, it will be the right one for all involved, I'm sure.

GEEZZZ, Linda, I'm so sorry that you're going through this with Holly. :rolleyes: I'll be sending lots and lots of good mojo for all of you. Let's hope that spaying will calm her down. I wonder if all the drugs she has had for heartworm, etc. have affected her as well? Is that a possibility? {{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Linda, I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. I know you're having to look at this from a rescue perspective rather than from an owner one and that changes the equation.

I wonder....could she be coming into season? Could raging hormones account for some of the aggression? I've only dealt with one doggie heat cycle my entire life, so I am just speculating. But I watched Lizzie be all lovey dovey toward Finn and then turn on him like a tiny cujo during her first week of heat.

If Holly were mine I'd be inclined to cut her some serious slack for a while because she has been so sick....but again, that's from an owner perspective not a rescue one. I do realize you can't take a chance on adopting out a dog that shows any signs of aggression.

Hopefully the spay will make a difference.

There was (is) a dog available at CBCR that I was very interested in before I got Finn. Beautiful thing named Rhett. But when I contacted the foster, she said she was going to have to pull him from the site for a while because he was starting to show signs of fear aggression (and this was shortly after his treatment for heartworms). Several trainers agreed he could be fear aggressive, but she waited to make a decision about his fate until after his neuter. He is back on the website for adoption, so it worked for him. He hasn't found a home yet (I'd take him if I could have another), but he's back up for adoption, so maybe it will work for Holly, too.

Good luck to both of you.

Linda-

I know you always do best by your dogs, so you will find a happy medium for Holly. After being confined it's difficult to restructure them into daily activitives. You have to do it slowly. Just like intoducing a new dog. You have done so much, maybe it's time to take a break. For me, it's time to get my "fix" and foster one more- LOL. Can't live with them, can't live without them.

My prayers are out to you guys. I hope that she gets better after she gets spayed.

Big time mojo and very good wishes coming to you and Holly from the land of Oz, Linda. Bless you for going the extra mile for this girl (and your DH, and your dogs) - but whatever happens in the end, Holly could not have been in better hands.

Have you had her thyroid tested?

It sounds like she has issues with being physically manhandled. She could have been abused in her past and is scared and feels like she has to defend herself when she thinks she's being "grabbed" or "kicked at". I'm not saying that's what you're doing, not at all, just how she might see it. Poor thing, and poor you, Linda. I know it's not an easy situation to deal with. I'm sending out good thoughts that it can be worked out.

Have you had her thyroid tested?

It sounds like she has issues with being physically manhandled. She could have been abused in her past and is scared and feels like she has to defend herself when she thinks she's being "grabbed" or "kicked at". I'm not saying that's what you're doing, not at all, just how she might see it. Poor thing, and poor you, Linda. I know it's not an easy situation to deal with. I'm sending out good thoughts that it can be worked out.

Funny you should mention that. Pagan, the chow bitch I told Linda about, was also hypo-thyroid. It took a long time to find it out, because she didn't show the textbook symptoms. But finally, a friend of mine who also handled chows went to my house while I was at work, stuffed Pagan in her van, and burst into my vet's office yelling "John Smith! Are you going to pull the blood to thyroid test this bitch or am I?" :rolleyes: (Chow handlers being disinclined to keep their opinions to themselves, as a rule. :D ) So to shut her up, my vet pulled the blood and lo and behold - hypothyroid!

I also know what you mean about how some dogs react to being handled in what we would consider a very reasonable manner. The one and only time I ever actually got bitten by one of my own dogs was when I reached down and took hold of the fur on his flank to keep him from running out of a door. Turned around and nailed me. :D For some reason, any time someone pulled at the undercoat along his sides that dog would bite. Never understood why - I knew him from the day he hit the ground and nothing traumatic ever happened to cause it, TMK. Just his little idiosyncracy. :D

Linda - has Holly ever tried to bite someone who wasn't touching her?

I'm going to second the thyroid question. My aggressive BC is extremely hypothyroid and would have really unpredictable aggression when he wasn't diagnosed. We have our share of puncture wounds. On medication he's a completely different dog.

A lot of new studies show that a good percentage of unpredictably aggressive dogs have a thyroid issue so it's worthwhile getting the test done.

Also, you've got an intact female who is most likely feeling better and maybe attempting to establish herself within the pack...so lots of things going on that may or may not be resolveable.

Let us know how it goes!

Maria

Hey y'all! Thanks for the well wishes! Yes, Holly has bit when I was not touching her. And no, I don't think it is cuz she is coming in heat nor is it the HW meds, as she has been like this from when I first brought her home.

Tomorrow, Tues., she goes in for her filter test and spay. I am also going to insist on a thyroid test. Just to cover all the bases!

Think of her tomorrow and send some MOJO that her brain will get right!

I'll let y'all know how it goes tomorrow. Thanks again for the support and care for this little waif.

Tomorrow, Tues., she goes in for her filter test and spay. I am also going to insist on a thyroid test. Just to cover all the bases!

Think of her tomorrow and send some MOJO that her brain will get right!

I'll let y'all know how it goes tomorrow. Thanks again for the support and care for this little waif.

Good luck to you both!

Linda, make sure the thyroid test is sent to Michigan - Small Animal Diagnostic. They do a comprehensive panel whereas the local labs only do a brief 3 panel check.

Good Luck!

Keeping fingers and toes crossed for Holly (and you).

I'd cross my eyes, too, if that would help....but I have to work today. :rolleyes:

I have been around BC's since 1975 and during that time discovered that there are some dogs are strictly one man dogs.In other words you will have no sucess as long as there are other dogs present.If Holly was in a single dog enviorment she would most likely settle down.