BC Boards

I am so worried.

I sent my ex-husband (well, he will be as soon as the court date is set and the judge signs the papers) a text message yesterday to ask how Combat is doing. I've tried to regularly check on him and generally I get a "He's fine." response and that's it. I have to settle for that, because we (Mike and I) aren't exactly on speaking terms. Yesterday, I got nothing. No response. Today I've tried sending multiple messages and I'm getting nothing. I've tried to call - he won't answer. Now, he's military, so he might be in the field and just not able to answer his phone - but this has never happened before. He can at least get through a text message.

I may be overreacting at this point but I'm scared to death. I don't know if Mike got him tested for heartworms after this fiasco with Recon, and the last I heard, Combat had torn up a set of mini-blinds in Mike's bathroom. Mike's not the patient sort. I sent Combat to him thinking the dog would be safe - Mike supposedly really loved him, wanted him, etc. The dog obviously loved him.

And maybe it's ok. Maybe, like I said, i'm overreacting. But I have this horrible, awful feeling in the pit of my stomach. I am quite literally scared to death that he's done something with the dog.

I'm going to start calling the local shelters in just a few minutes.

I really just need to calm down, I think, but geez I'm scared.

The divorce papers say I get the dogs, so I could make it a big deal if I wanted to. Dang it, why won't he just answer and let me know Combat is safe and healthy and ok??

I have a few friends left in Oklahoma, some very good ones, but the problem is - the friends that -I- kept are the ones that turns out didn't like Mike to begin with. (ie: the older, responsible, less idiotic ones) And he doesn't really associate with them anymore. I've sent emails and made a few phone calls to them, seeing if they can find out anything for me.

I've also called the local shelters - they haven't had any border collies matching Combat's description turned in. I sent them a photo in an email and the lady said she'd call me if she saw him come through.

I'm going insane with worry.

I would be happy to help by calling him, and telling him I am from a shelter, and have picked up a Border Collie- and mention that neighbor so and so said he had one (picked the BC up near his place). Let me know.

julie

I have a few friends left in Oklahoma, some very good ones, but the problem is - the friends that -I- kept are the ones that turns out didn't like Mike to begin with. (ie: the older, responsible, less idiotic ones) And he doesn't really associate with them anymore. I've sent emails and made a few phone calls to them, seeing if they can find out anything for me.

I've also called the local shelters - they haven't had any border collies matching Combat's description turned in. I sent them a photo in an email and the lady said she'd call me if she saw him come through.

I'm going insane with worry.

I'm so sorry that you are so worried. I always trust when people say that their instincts tell them that something is wrong. It sounds weird to say this, but I get the sense that you think (hope) that he is trying to hurt you, and would never think of hurting the dog. If that is true, start there. Do you really, REALLY think he would harm or neglect the dog?--I'm only saying this to try to help you through the panic. Try to take a deep breath and get in touch with what you are struggling with. If he is not answering the text, and he usually does, maybe he's mad at the world and at you, and you're the easiest target right now.

Without knowing, (nor is it my business), how the proceedings are going with the divorce, I gather that you are trying to keep peace with him and are being kind in letting him see Combat. You are to be admired for that, but if after this turns out O.K., and we are all praying that it will, it might be time to, a. talk to him and let him know that you went through hell and that is not acceptable or, b. ask him to give the dog back and explain to him that you will have to reconsider how healthy the relationship is for Combat.

Has your soon-to-be-ex been diagnosed with any issues?--again none of my business, but I see a red flag if you get a sense at all that he is punishing you. Sometimes people who are "punishers" can find a weakness and really wreak havoc--not caring if kids or pets get hurt in the fray.

This could all be for nothing, and I so hope it turns out O.K. with a viable excuse for the lack of contact. I would be worried sick as well. You are in my thoughts. Stay strong.

Charlene

He still won't tell me anything, but I managed to find a picture on his girlfriend's myspace account that had Combat in it. The date was 1/13/07, so as of that date (assuming the date is correct), Mike still had Combat and he looked healthy.

I feel much better after having seen that, but I still don't feel great.

What I believe has happened is that Mike has Combat living with his girlfriend.

At any rate, I'm going to take this to court and hopefully get Combat back. The divorce papers say that I get the dog, and Mike has already signed them, so it should go in my favor. I don't want to have to worry. I don't trust Mike, I thought I could trust him with the dog but I just can't. I'm scared to death he'll get tired of having to take care of him and give him away.

In the meantime, I'm going to hope that Mike's trying to drive me flipping crazy. I will be -so glad- when all this is over.

:rolleyes: I really wish I could stop worrying, but now all I can picture is Combat held in some shelter somewhere not knowing what's going on or why we abandoned him. I hate that image, and I will do everything I can to make sure it doesn't happen.

Good on you for being willing to go to bat on this; I'll be keeping you and the doggies in my thoughts until this is resolved. :D Hang in there girl - BC Board vibes are pretty darn strong. :rolleyes:

I hope Combat is ok. I'm glad your going to try to get him back. You would take way better care of him then he would. He's probably just being a stupid jerk (sorry) and just trying to make you worry. Both of you are in my thoughts. Good luck.

You are in my prayers. Please let us know how it goes! I really really think (from sounds of it) you should get Combat back. At least you know positively he'll be in safe hands, and ones that will keep his health in check. Im sorry you're going through this. Hoping it will be over soon.

As of right now, I'm operating under the assumption that Combat is ok and that he's still with Mike. But...I'm taking this all the way to court; I want Combat somewhere I can keep him safe. I don't like not knowing each day if Mike's feeding him good enough food or if he's keeping him exercised, if he's making sure not to overdo it with his hips being as bad as they are.

Thank you everyone for the support. I'm still not comfortable, still paranoid, and still thinking something isn't quite right, but I've called every shelter and every person I know and can't find out anything so I'm going to just have to hope for the best until we get into court.

Hopefully very soon this will all be over.

Hey Aerie

Hope you're feeling a bit better this minute.

I have a friend who is going though a nasty divorce right now. She spends her time worring to death about what's happening with that and the other time worring that she's not going to make it alone.

I guess worring will make you think about everything you need to think about but I really feel at this time in her life (and yours) you should try your hardest to not worry about things that you don't know yet, or that are not in your control.

I know it's no help to say that when your mommy voice is going off in your heart and head but chill, things are going to be what they are, worring isn't going to change the things you can't control.

You did pick him at one time, and it sounds like at one time you thought you could trust him with Combat, go with that thought till you can make something else happen.

Being in the middle of this is the hardest part. Keep reminding yourself this to shall pass and you'll be a better person when it's all said and done. Plus you'll have Combat back.

Just cause Recon has gone through HW, doesn't mean Combat has it too. Keep reminding yourself, Recon is ok, and right now you have to trust that Combat is too.

Go for a walk if you can, or call someone and just chat about nothing or anything but the stupid divorce.

You're a good person who doesn't deserve this but you will get through it!

Take care.

Kristen

PS. When's your court date?

Thanks, Kristen. I guess sometimes I just need to hear a little encouragement. I've come so far in the last year - I went through the missing him part, the hating him part, and I'd moved on to the indifference part. But recently he's just been so hateful. And hearing how horrible of a wife I was and that he only picked me because he 'had to have a wife quick' just starts eating at me after a while. I know better than to let it get to me, but when he's being that mean to me, I worry that he's capable of just giving up on the dog, too.

I miss Combat so much. Recon misses him. We can't even say his name around here without her getting thoroughly excited and searching through the house. It's sad. You're right, though. I gave him Combat because he's never shown any real hint of being anything other than good towards him. I'm letting my emotions get the better of me, and I do need to chill.

Everything will be fine.

Thank you again. :rolleyes:

And we don't have an official court date, yet. The papers are signed and with the lawyers, but nothing's moving forward yet. It's odd. Supposedly it'll be in the next few weeks.