BC Boards

Saw a BC demonstration

We went to a fair yesterday and saw a demonstration with two REAL border collies. The two didn't look all that much alike, different sizes, etc., but they moved just the same.

They used sheep and Indian Runner ducks and it was a beautiful sight! They wove through cones and into pens and went wherever the dog told them to on his handler's command. It was very impressive.

Of course, for all of you with REAL border collies, I am sure that is just par for the course. My BC mix is more couch potato lab with BC smarts and some well-buried herding traits!

It was a sheep trial that I watched from my diesel on the side of the freeway that made me fall in love with these dogs! It was the most awesome thing I had seen. And now after watching trials close up, the thrill is still there! Truly poetry in motion!

If you want to see some really great Border Collies at work, contact your local St. Andrew's Society and find out if they hold an annual Scottish Festival, and if so when. (Connecticut's is the first Saturday of every October.) Most of these festivals have demonstrations of BC's working various types of livestock, and the larger ones (like the one in North Conway, New Hampshire, held in September, and touted to be the largest Scottish Festival in the United States) have herding competitions. Our local Scottish Festival was in fact where I was first introduced to Border Collies, and I have been in love with the breed ever since. (It is also where I replenish my annual supply of canned haggis and Irn Bru.)

Bustopher Jones, I am glad you mentioned that. There is a Scottish Festival or Celtic Festival in Northern Va also, but I don't know when or where. I think it is in Alexandria or Arlington, Va?????

If anyone out this way knows when and where that is or has a web page address I could go to please let me know.

Top O' the mornin to ya (or afternoon, or evening etc etc!) LOL

They have a website, it was "customstockdogs.com". They are based in IL and one of the handlers was named Ken. I looked at the website, they looked impressive there to me as well, but I know NOTHING about stock dogs. Who knows, they might be on these boards!

JoeAnne,

I dont know about no. va, but there is an anual Celtic festival in Oct. at the state fair grounds here in Richmond. I've gone for the past 4yrs or so. In fact I saw a few folks from the board there last year.

http://www.richmondceltic.com/site.asp

**edit**

So I did some searching. . .

I also found this one in MD, but it isnt until next May. http://www.sasmm.com/celtic_festival.htm

This one in Alexandria is also in Oct.

http://www.accessenter.com/scotfair/

That's really amusing. Kenneth Kuykendall and his father Henry do demos at our fairs in NC every year. It's great entertainment - they do a good job showing off the dogs. Did they do the duck washing machine? Our kids see it every year and it still cracks them up. Heck, my mom sees it every year and it still cracks HER up. :rolleyes:

Yes, that's them. They did the duck washing machine, one of mine fell over laughing. There was a woman with them now, I got the impression from their website that Henry might be in semi-retirement?

It was great entertainment. They did such a great job, I wondered if the sheeps and the ducks were trained!!

My brood is now so bunny obsessed that is all they can think about. New puppy, bunnies, my chickens and ducks seem farther away everyday.....

Originally posted by Tammy525:

Yes, that's them. They did the duck washing machine, one of mine fell over laughing. There was a woman with them now, I got the impression from their website that Henry might be in semi-retirement?

That's Kenneth (Kim) and Joyce, his partner. They live in Illinois- but I imagine they get invited to lots of Fairs- they were in Raleigh NC (near Rebecca) when I picked up my little guy, CSD Able last year at the fair. Loved the Duck Washing Machine trick (black ducks go in- white ducks come out!) and the cowboy act.