BC Boards

Buying land

Well, we are finally at a place where we can start looking at land to buy. Where do I start finding out by state what the regulations are for land regarding zoning and how many head I can have? It's proving hard to get the info for something small- 3 horses and a small herd of sheep.

We are not tied to any one place/state really so we are looking for our best options economically.

Any advice would really help me- my brains are getting scrambled.

Thanks,

Here in the northeast, zoning is generally handled at the local level: either municipal (village, town, or city) or in some cases at the county level, so you won't find very much information at the state level.

Farmland is frightfully expensive in southern New England, but if you get into some parts of upstate New York you can get a reasonable house and barn with a hundred acres for a couple hundred thousand dollars.

In most agricultural areas, you will not be limited by zoning on how many animals you can have. There are some federal regulations that kick in if you have a concentrated animal feeding unit (CAFU), which is an operation like a feedlot or a bunch of broiler or hog houses. If I remember right, this kicks in when you have something like 100 animal units per acre or more -- an AU is a cow and a suckling calf.

Of course, you must check local regulations and you can't assume that because a farm operation was there before you that you'll be able to legally continue it.

Land isnt bad over by me and Christine...in large parcels (a 500+ acre farm with one old house) sold for a million two the other day which is really pretty darned cheap..you can probably buy under a hundred acres for 3500-4000 per acre here..some pretty land too. It is all zoned a-1 here ( you just have to get a special use permit to have a sheepdog trial...Friggin politicians)

if you get into some parts of upstate New York you can get a reasonable house and barn with a hundred acres for a couple hundred thousand dollars.
Actually, that is in the resonable range. A house and barn alone can cost a hundred thousand. My family built a barn last year that cost $11,000. We did all the labor, and used some salvaged lumber. Land where I live in Michigan can go for around $2,500 an acre.

Annette,

Here in Michigan, within the state we have counties, and then within the counties there are townships. The townships are about 6 miles square. Each township regulates zoning for itself. And zoning can vary greatly from township to township. But I'm pretty sure that anywhere that is zoned for agriculture has no limits on what animals, or how many you can have. Unless of course it is a factory farm and comes under state polution or enviromental laws.

You might just want to pick a couple of areas where you might like to live. Then start making phone calls to the locals to find out about the area.

How about...

57 acre farm for $249K

http://www.unitedcountry.com/ucforms/uconl...&Office='45048'

44+ ACRE CATTLE FARM w/ dog kennel for $295K

http://www.unitedcountry.com/ucforms/uconl...&Office='45009'

89 acre farm for $295K

http://www.unitedcountry.com/ucforms/uconl...&Office='45021'

Mark

All too rich for my blood. I'm struggling to scrape together the money to buy a little bit of land with NO house. Ugh! FWIW, land in this area (Durham and north) is going for anywhere from around $4,000/acre to $10,000+ an acre (and that includes raw land and places with houses, etc.). Further out in Randolph county you can save maybe $1,000 an acre.

BTW, for anyone interested (i.e., high rollers) I had an e-mail this morning that the Orrs are selling their Daybreak Farm and moving to Oregon. It sounds like a dream farm. Here are the details:

DAYBREAK FARM

504 Rodgers Road

Seneca, South Carolina

Probable Listing Price: $1,395,000.00

Farm: Established sheep and cattle farm

Lot Size: 126 acres of fenced and cross-fenced land

Waterfront: 1200 feet on Arrowhead Lake, 2 private ponds, and creeks

Description: Private surrounded by pasture and forest (house is 2000 feet from road). Small orchard (apples, peaches, figs, blueberries, pears, muscadines, grapes)

Potential for subdividing and/or development

House:

Built: 2002 by Dallas Troyer

Sq Ft (approx): 4000 finished, 900 porches, 700 garage, 600 basement

Level: 1

Screened porch: 12x25; Front porch: 9x47; Rear patio: 8x28

Exterior: Brick four sides, Crestline high efficiency windows, all utilities underground

Substructure: Partial walkout basement, crawlspace

Heat-A/C: 2 high efficiency heat pumps

Water: Pioneer Co-op 1-inch valve; 2 inch pipe from valve to house

Landscaping: Lawn - Zoyia sod, Sprinkler system

Interior: Security system, Attic fan, Ceiling fans, Stone-faced fireplace; handicap adaptable

Floor: Pergo Select, Pergo Select

Kitchen: Viking 6 burner cooktop, stainless steel appliances, 4x9 island, Silestone countertops, Pantry, Bay window

Outbuildings: 30x40 Machine, 36x38 Hay, 18x18 Livestock (electricity and water at all)

Fencing: Bekaert high tensile woven wire and 6-strand barbed wire (mostly woven); 25+ gates

Pastures: 40, 30, 16, 11, 3, 2 acres; and 4 that are 1 acre or less.

Cattle equipment: WW including 10x10 catch pen, sweep tub, AI cage, and squeeze chute

Dog kennels: 5 on concrete pad (2 6x9; 3 5x10)

10 miles to Seneca

20 miles to Anderson

45 miles to Greenville

55 miles to GSP airport

100 miles to Atlanta

J.

How about (also on unitedcountry.com)

80+/- ACRE HISTORIC FARM

2 STORY 1900'S FARMHOUSE

3 BEDROOM, 1 BATH

2 STORY BARN W/HAY LOFT

SEVERAL OUTBUILDINGS

PRIVATE WELL, ELECTRICITY

FENCED PASTURE

HIGHWAY FRONTAGE

Property No.: 24055-01880

Price: $195,000.00

#01880 $ 195,000 Enjoy country living on this 80 acre farm that has been a family farm since the 1900's! Two story farmhouse has wood floors and metal embossed ceiling. 3 Bedroom, 1 bath and ready for your restoration ideas! Covered front porch and large shade trees help keep the house cool. Old fashioned lilacs, iris and native flowers bring beauty and charm to the large yard. Big two story barn with a hay loft and several outbuildings for animals or storage. Newer private well, electricity, phone access and highway frontage for the more modern conveniences. Approx. 80 acres is fenced with pasture for some cows or horses. Additional acreage available. Take a look at this historic property in a country setting!

Located in Stover MO which is just north of Lake of the Ozarks.

I'd say thats a pretty good deal!

Jennifer

KCMO

Originally posted by juliepoudrier:

Sounds lovely Jennifer, only are you supposed to make a living farming it or is there some sort of work available nearby?

J.

That and medical insurance is what's holding us back.

Chemical research and rural living are typically mutually exclusive.

Mark

This one is just down the street from my house --

120 Acre Beautiful Farm with Main House & Guest House

Oxford, NC

* Style: Farm

* Bedrooms: 3 (Main House)

* Baths: 2 (Main House)

* Square Footage: 2500 ( Main House)

* Lot Size: 120 Acres

$549,900

Additional Features: 120 Acre Farm with white oak

fenced pasture and 3 stall horse barn. Approx.

50 Acres open land & the remainder in mature pines

& mixed hardwoods. 2500 sq. ft. house built in

1992 has 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, fireplace in den,

front & rear porches. 2-car garage & workshop

room. Several outbuildings, ponds and 3 bedroom

Guest House.

Originally posted by juliepoudrier:

Sounds lovely Jennifer, only are you supposed to make a living farming it or is there some sort of work available nearby?

J.

Ouch, are you saying you can't make a living on the farm anymore? Dang, well there go MY plans...

BTW, Jeff City (state cap) is a little over an hr away from Stover.

Jennifer

KCMO

Originally posted by Pipedream Farm:

That and medical insurance is what's holding us back.

Chemical research and rural living are typically mutually exclusive.

Mark

I know that one. With me, it's the lack of demand for data networking engineers in rural Oregon. Land is also very expensive here, at least in Western Oregon and I much prefer the wet side of the state.

Oh wow, um well. I was thinking really cheap- like 10 acres tops I don't rely on pasture to feed my horse now. And although a farm house would be nice, I'm happy to buy land only now, pay it off and then build when we retire in a few years or buy a manufactured home if we could get a really nice one. Together right now we only make about $60,000.00 a year and I don't think we'd ever expect to make money off a very small hobby farm. For a small piece of rural tranquility, I think we would commute for other jobs if necessary but it will be nice having that retirement check too. I think Julie P understands what I mean about small hobby farm

Hi,

In southwest Ohio land is $20,000 and acre to live in an area near population, it is $10,000 an acre just across the border in Indiana. It is about 10,000 and acre if you go a little more north.

The price goes down the more land you buy. Zoning is handled by the county and township.

Tammy

A lot of that land is pretty farmed out, but I think it is salvagable. I know some folks who are looking at a 300 acre farm with dairy barns and two houses just north of Syracuse that was listed for $250,000.

And I just paid $195,000 for two acres and a 1000 square foot house.

Hi All

I've got a great place for sale!

It?s located within 50 minutes of downtown St. Louis, with lots of areas that are closer for the working person. Restaurants and Wal-Mart within 10 minutes. Major airport is 1 hour away.

It comes with:

A little more than 4 fenced pasture acres.

40x45 oak and cedar 6 stall horse barn with electric and water.

A little pond for dog swimming and the rescue fowl that DH brings home right next to the barn.

A small house with 2 bedrooms and a finished basement that can be a third bedroom w/family room area.

Full bathroom upstairs and shower bathroom downstairs.

The only carpet in the house is in the basement, the rest is tile and hardwood (did I mention that my dogs live in the house :rolleyes: .

A wood burning furnace that works great with the heat pump furnace.

3 car detached garage.

Fencing for sheep and llamas.

The yard around the whole house is fenced for dogs with a doggy door into my kitchen, plus an outdoor 2-3 run dog kennel with separate exercise yard located in the backyard.

Taxes are relatively low.

Tons of great sheep/dog people are in the area, a great herding trainer (USBCHA type) within 1 hour, and there are herding clinics often offered close to home.

I raise hair/meat sheep and make enough money to pay for my dog fun, and the hay I need to feed my sheep.

I can even work a deal to leave some sheep on the place :D

This can all be yours for the great price of $160.000.

I?ve not had it appraised yet but the neighboring house went for that much without a barn or perimeter fencing, no pastures or the 3 car garage.

I would love to work out a deal with some sheep or dog people before I put it on the market which will be soon.

The only reason I?m moving is DH found his dream job and it?s in AR so naturally I?ve found my dream farm there too!

Inquires are welcome.

Happy Holidays and Happy Herding

Kristen Reker

Bcnewe2@hotmail.com