BC Boards

National Finals News from the Field - 9/26/06 - 1:05 PM PST

J. Williams

Francis is having trouble getting on-site internet access at the National Sheepdog Finals. While the technicians continue to work on establishing a connection, Francis has asked me to assist her in keeping everyone informed to the extent possible. So here goes, based on our cell phone communications?

The weather in Klamath Falls, Oregon is beautiful, no wind. Field is green and inviting ? flat with a slight decline. The Open started today at 12:00 noon, with Judges Warren Mick and Ray Edwards. The outrun will be approximately 440-450 yards and handlers will be working sheep from a healthy, uniform flock of Coopworths - currently requiring a tiny bit of push, but very well may free up as the day continues. Approximately 28 of the 145 Open dogs will be running today, continuing tomorrow starting at 7:00 am.

The first two Open scores of the day are as follows:

1. Stephens, Bob - Pat - Retire

2. Zoerb, Ian - Peg (Kit) - 121

The Nursery competition will start tomorrow at 12:00 noon under Judges Aled Owen and Dal Kratzer.

News and results will continue to be posted via the Sheepdog-L list (and here) pending resolution of the on-site connection issues.

Respectfully submitted on behalf of Francis Raley, USBCHA Secretary

Julia Williams

Am I not quoting Melanie herself to say, "I just hate you"? Not really but "green with envy" is pretty accurate.

Thanks for posting, Julia. I scribed for Warren Mick at the Bluegrass this year and he is very, very nice to work with.

Best wishes to all handlers and dogs! And even to those lucky folks who just get to watch and/or volunteer!

I would love to be posting from "there," but unfortunately, I am here in my home town of Marysville, CA living vicariously through Francis...

As of 2:25 PM PST

1 Stephens, Bob - Pat - Retire

2 Zoerb, Ian - Peg (Kit) - 121

3 Williams, Dick - Scott - DQ

4 Shannahan, Pat - Jill - Retire

5 Boyce, Dawn - Tink - DQ

6 Holmes, Herbert - Jet - 102

7 Munson, Cheryl - Reg - Retire

8 Anderson, Rose - Chi - DQ

9 Wilson, Tom - Sly - 178

10 McCaig, Donald - June - 77

Per Francis, weather still beautiful, but warming up, getting close to the 90s. Sheep are touchy, touchy - need to push, but don't push. Tom Wilson's run very pretty to watch!

Respectfully submitted on behalf of Francis Raley, USBCHA Secretary

Julia Williams

Per Francis, weather still nice, starting to cool down. The decision's been made to run 35 today, a few more than the originally planned 28. Still working on the field site internet connection with hopes of being able to post up to the USBCHA website directly...

As of 4:40 PM PST

11 - Stephens, Nancy - Ike - 72

12 - Berhow, Bill - Sid - DQ

13 - Zuppan, Al - Tux - 130

14 - Schreeder, Marianna - Rock - 106

15 - Wilson, Florence - Mac - Retire

16 - Haynes, Joe - Meg - 127

17 - Weaver, Jeanne - Liz - 90

18 - Money, Bill - Rocket - Scratch

19 - Child, Karen - Jim - 129

20 - Swift, Jim - Rick - 74

21 - Andersen, Sandi - Harley - 131

22 - Lambert, Beverly - Pippa - 150

Calling it quits for the day in Klamath Falls, Oregon... as of 6:30 PM they had made it through run number 31 and will start up with number 32 in the morning.

23 - Nelson, Brian - Pleat - 94

24 - Zuppan, Ginger - Brie - 90

25 - Knox, Kathy - Jake - 140

26 - Gellings , Dennis - Jake - Retire

27 - Jobe, Chris - Abby - 101

28 - Keeton, Daniel - Meg - Retire

29 - Lee - Johnson, David - Bute - 89

30 - Loflin, Judy - Lass - 159

31 - Williams, Cheryl - Spot - 149

9/27/06 - 8:41 am PST

Good morning all - cold this morning in Klamath Falls (30s?), but wonderful and gorgeous! Sheep working a bit better, spirits are high.

32 - Milliken, Amanda - Ethel - 157

33 - Milberg, Sandra - Drift - Retire

34 - Akers, Angela - Riley - 133

35 - Clark - Ewers, Jennifer - Jesse - 125

36 - Schubert, Lorri - Jep - 169

37 - Baker, Elizabeth - Black - 135

38 - Riehl, Nicky - Lizzie - 146

39 - Henry, David - Britton - 145

I got recruited to help get Francis online.....after a bit of finagling we got the wireless card and frontpage s/w to jive and went *live* at about 9 this morn....guess working in high tech actually did pay off. Francis is setup to update online so you get the scores as they are handed to her. Much thanks to Julia to feeding the rest of the world the scores!!!!

Open sheep....fast and they will split. In the afternoon they just want to lay in shade from the blazing heat so they would run, spilt or turn on the dog. If you kept your dog off and moved with push (not too much) you could do good. A lot of handlers had wide turns and/or the sheep would break away at the cross drive panel (last leg)....Some of the sheep would turn on the dogs at the turn at the post.

Nursery....tough and the sheep were ready to run at the setout. Some dogs didn't have the push to move the sheep around the course or the sheep would run like hades off to parts unknown or fight the dog. Some dogs did very well and you could see that some handlers would put the dog in the right spot and adjust for the cranky sheep.

It has been hot as heck which played havoc with the runs. The fields were WIDE, WIDE Open spaces and some of the dogs would run and run until out of sight. They would do about 600 -800 yds and the sheep were at about 407 yards.

Having a blast today....will post tomorrow

Diane Pagel

Nursery....tough and the sheep were ready to run at the setout. Some dogs didn't have the push to move the sheep around the course or the sheep would run like hades off to parts unknown or fight the dog. Some dogs did very well and you could see that some handlers would put the dog in the right spot and adjust for the cranky sheep.
My sister has a dog who is running in Nursery. I just heard from her last night after an update from the handler, how tough the sheep were, that maybe 13 or 14 of the Nursery dogs got a score over 100. I guess her dog and handler did a respectable job, tho, but the buggers really were a problem for the Nursery dogs. Nice to have the frequent updates.

your daily reporter.....hope you like this....

Gee, can we say "friggin hot as he**" cuz it sure is hot as he**.........

Sheep were tough, bolted if too much pressure or too tight....or in several case three would go one way and the fourth would decide to go in the opposite direction and ....let's say it was tough, once again.

The sheep were in nice healthy shape and not a push over.

Didn't see the Nursery but word was it was a real bear but some dogs/handlers laid down great scores.... Alasdair and Kate (142), Bev Lambert and Hemp (137) , Suzy Applegate and Lyn (130) David Henry and Britton (130), Scott Glen and Mick (150) to name a few.

Open was tough as usual, if the dog was tight the sheep were gone at Warp 5 speed, if too pushy on the fetch they scattered....I saw a few with the high-headed attitudes. Kathy Knox had a sweet run, all nice and calm. Dennis Gelling and Jan just marched them around the course. Our own Elizabeth Baker and Rye sure looked great. The spectators (many seeing this for the first time) were really into this and wold give healthy rounds of applauses at the end of each run.

Some of the dogs ran out wide and would end up on the road or the far pasture next to the site. There is a busy road to the right of the post and it caught some dogs eyes when the cars would go by and they would lock on that.

But I do want to mention that the tireless crew who put this all together did a FANTASTIC JOB. Francis and her crew posting the scores as soon as they would get them. She puts her heart and soul into making sure you get the scores and the latest information! Be sure to drop her a line and thank her.

The crew who worked before and during this trial, making sure it all runs SEAMLESS.....and it has....it has been a well presented and professional and yet FUN. People are willing to help and it makes a big difference.

Ok so tomorrow, they have a few more Open dogs to run. Then Nursery runs at 10.

Don't know if I can get back online again since I have to move to a new location but I'll try to post.....no promises

Diane Pagel

It appears from Sheepdog-L that our own Elizabeth Baker and Rye are at standing at 11th with a fine score of 156 and with Black at 35th with a very respectable 135.

Christine Koval and Bess stand at 69 with a 103.

Laura Hicks and Zac and Christine Koval and Rook were not so fortunate and have no score but they certainly put in a good effort and have lots of high-class company.

A special congrats to board members who have put in the time and effort to qualify and compete but, more importantly, to train and develop a good working relationship with their dogs!

Best wishes!!!

Flash! Christine Koval's Tweed was awarded the Ralph Pulfer Memorial Prize for the most promising nursery dog. I believe the prize has been in existence for only two years and has gone to a VA dog both times -- last year Tom Forrester's Pete won it.

Congratulations, Christine!

Now, Laura, do I understand that it was a mis-spelling and that you are one of the USBCHA directors? Or is there really a Laura Nicks?

Congrats on being elected and thank you for the work that you (and the other) directors will do for the association (and the working Border Collie, as a result).

Best wishes!