BC Boards

SDT rain gear

Valhalla

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think no one suggested Cabela's because you mentioned in your first post that you didn't like anything you saw there. My dad LOVES Cabela's and I really like the couple of items of boating gear that I have gotten there. They tend to have good stuff at a more reasonable price than the more prestigious companies like Patagucci/North Face/etc. I do think some of Cabela's stuff is a little heavier, less tailored, and/or less technologically advanced but it is very practical and a good value. It would probably be a great place to find a sheep-working jacket if you can find something you like.

Originally posted by lrayburn:

I think no one suggested Cabela's because you mentioned in your first post that you didn't like anything you saw there. My dad LOVES Cabela's and I really like the couple of items of boating gear that I have gotten there.

Oh duh, I did say that! They have a nice Gore-Tex jacket. It is the Cabela's GORE-TEX? EXV? Parka. I've heard some people have not been pleased with Gore-Tex and that it loses its waterproofing quickly. Is that true?

Hi Christine,

I bought the Cabela goretex parka when it was on sale, bought the parka because it is longer. runs big. Haven't used it enough to know how waterproof it is. But heard from another source that if it is no longer waterproof, that Cabela will replace it for free, without question. You might want to look into the guarantee of whatever you buy.

I do have an LL Bean gortex long parka, slightly above knee. Have used it for several years. When really wet, it feels like it might be leaking, feels clammy against the skin, but it has not. What I have done is change parkas part way through the day, so I put on a dry one and let the wet one dry off, which they tend to do pretty quickly, even in a trailer that is damp.

Would suggest you look at the hood part of the parka and get one that you can adjust the hood in the rear of the hood, so that front isn't always falling into your face.

Have to agree, that to be totally waterproof, the rubber ones can't be beat, but can't stand wearing it for too long.

Nancy O

I've heard some people have not been pleased with Gore-Tex and that it loses its waterproofing quickly. Is that true?

Not in my experience. The parka I have now is over four years old and when the weather gets below 50 degrees I wear it pretty much every day. I think you'd have to be abrading it very heavily and washing it too much for the waterproofing to last less than several years.

Gore-Tex has care pages online that have more info:

Care of Gore-Tex:

http://www.gore-tex.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...productId=10087

Restoring water repellency:

http://www.gore-tex.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...productId=10301

My parka is Gore-Tex XCR, which is much lighter in weight.

I didn't mention Cabela's because you said you didn't like the unfashionable clothes.

I have Cabela's Gortex long coat and pants. They are great.....never failed when I had to set sheep for half the day in horizontal rain. I won't step foot in the pens though....the Gortex is too delicate and would rip easily. I also have Cabela's Gortex insulated boots. They are fabulous. None the the items are fashionable (boxy and baggy), but the price was pretty good.

Wow! I just bought a waterproof-windproof parka from our local Sportsman's Warehouse (had to get out of there --too much fun). It is a Hodgman--very cool jacket. I liked it much better than all the Columbia stuff I saw there too. I looked up their website http://www.hodgman.com/S2-FS.html

I bought the ladies microfiber wader jacket--online, in the sale stuff- it is only $29.00! It has lots of pockets a nice collar with a hood and is soft (almost like velour) to the touch. I thought it was a good buy and I paid $89.00! Fits well anhd looks good.

I did not see a color selection on line--mine is sort of a brick color. They have lots of other items there too.

I can't believe we're using up precious border collie space discussing raingear. Oh well.

Goretex is goretex. In the very early days (decades ago now) there were some problems with quality control that caused some people to have different experiences with it than others did, but no more, and the goretex people go out of their way to make sure that all goretex performs just like it should.

The problem is that not everyone understands how waterproof/breathable fabrics work. The fabric contains pores that are waaaay too small to let liquid water molecules in. A goretex jacket should never leak water in through the fabric. Heck, they make chest waders for fishermen and even drysuits for divers out of goretex these days. If water leaks in through the seams, maybe you should go with one of those high-end manufacturers next time.

The breathable part is trickier. The pores do let the smaller moisture vapor molecules pass from your body out, but the humidity outside the jacket has to be *lower* than inside the jacket, or the moisture vapor will stay inside and make you think you're getting wet from outside. So for those of us who live in rainy climates where the humidity is always high, we can pretty much forget about the moisture we generate inside finding its way out of the jacket, except on the rare sunny days. But then, why wear a jacket on those days?

The reason they tell you to keep your goretex jacket clean (besides looking stylish) is that there's a water-repellent coating on the outside that keeps the fabric itself from getting wet, and that coating doesn't like salt, oils, dirt, etc. When the fabric gets wet it feels clammy, and that too makes you think it's leaking. But it isn't.

That's my understanding anyway.

We could talk about other stuff we bring to trials too. Those of you with RVs probably just gas up and go, but those of us who work out of our cars have to pack our trial gear.

I'm the one at trials who looks like I got lost and took a wrong turn trying to get to the agility trial instead. Everything I have is made out of mesh, and is collapsible. For the dogs I bring a half-dome shade tent and set up three mesh Cabana Crates inside it. I also make sure I have a lot of water for the dogs and a one-gallon drink cooler to serve it in, extra towels (on hot days, I wet them down and lay them across the tops of the crates to cool the dogs off), battery-operated crate fans, extra batteries, a couple of extra tarps, two aluminum shade cloths, bungies, and tent stakes. In my "dog bag" I have bug spray, sunscreen, poop bags, extra garbage bags, poison ivy lotion, long lines, Flexi leads, a couple of balls, dog snacks and some dog food in case we're there late and we have to eat at the field, small flashlight/headlamp, baby wipes, a pocket knife and (after the last trial) an extra whistle on an extra lanyard. For me I pack a small soft-sided cooler with a couple of sandwiches and lots of sodas. And paper towels. And even if it's sunny I make sure I have my rain gear and extra socks.

My dog trial vehicle, and my only vehicle, is a 1996 Acura Integra that just barely fits me and three dogs. If I had a truck I probably wouldn't need to bring half this stuff and could crate out of the car, but that'll have to wait for having a real income.

OMG Melanie,

Out of your list, I can confess to: 1.water 2. whistle. and 1. doesn't always make the list. <<bemused head shake>>

And, since I don't think this quite qualifies under the heading "Training" but I'm still thrilled, Nap chewed through his leash while I was trading outruns with a friend and made a beeline for the sheep. HE GOT AROUND THE SHEEP, balanced and tried to bring them a couple of times. Cooooooool. He is now an official round pen dropout.

A.