BC Boards

SDT rain gear

Valhalla

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Mark,

Poor old Fletch is making the trip out to Georgetown for a couple of days, especially since I might need to be gone one day during that week for a second interview with a company in Durham and so need backup dog care....

I went to Joel's place during the Parker's open trial. It's a good place to work--not too big for the young dogs. His sheep were good to work with too. I haven't been to Angie's, but I bet she'd be willing to meet you at Joel's if you can't make it to her place.

J.

Robin,

The company is located on Ben Franklin Blvd--near a bunch of medical offices (does that ring a bell?). They are a consulting firm that helps businesses to run leaner w/o cutting staff. I actually didn't apply for this job--they saw my resume on a career website and asked me to come interview. There's some travel involved, which I'm not real thrilled by, but if the $$ is right, I'll manage....

J.

Yep, it's about 2 minutes from where i'm sitting right now at Duke and about 15 minutes from my house and farm. That's in north Durham and is a fast growing little spot, lots of offices and stores and such being built quickly. When are you going to be there?

I was there last Wednesday for the first interview. They are flying me back up from Myrtle Beach (where I'll be house/farm sitting for Bob Modica) on the 21st for the second interview with the company owner and the other co-founder that I didn't meet the first time around (apparently they travel a lot and are rarely in the Durham office, so we had to catch them the one day they both would be there, hence the flight up).

So there would be hope of finding some land within reasonable commuting distance?

I applied for three writing or editing positions at Duke but haven't heard anything back. I haven't yet talked $$ with these folks either, so it certainly isn't a lock.

J.

I was going to say bring the dogs over and we'd work em but i'll be gone and i bet they don't like flying much either.

Yep, there's land in an easy commute from there. My place is about 20-25 minutes from there on backroads. You'd be on the Virginia side of Durham - i'm in Va in just a few minutes from my place. If it works out, i'll put you in touch with the farmer guy i bought from and maybe you can join our sheepie community. I can see Cathy and Arnold Hartley's place from mine (found them theirs first), Lauren is next "door" to me and Colin is just a couple of minutes down the road.

Originally posted by Shoofly:

I was going to say bring the dogs over and we'd work em but i'll be gone and i bet they don't like flying much either.

Heck, I don't much like flying either, especially on puddle jumper planes. But then I don't think I could convince anyone to pay for my dogs to go to an interview!

Yep, there's land in an easy commute from there. My place is about 20-25 minutes from there on backroads. You'd be on the Virginia side of Durham - i'm in Va in just a few minutes from my place. If it works out, i'll put you in touch with the farmer guy i bought from and maybe you can join our sheepie community. I can see Cathy and Arnold Hartley's place from mine (found them theirs first), Lauren is next "door" to me and Colin is just a couple of minutes down the road.

Wow, I'd be part of a great group of folks. I hope I can work it out. I was enjoying unemployment for a while (everyone can use a vacation now and again), but I'm getting a bit antsy here now. I was worried that farmland would be hard to find, but it sounds like it might be doable after all (and I'm planning on wool sheep, so it would be something different). Keep your fingers crossed! I'll let you know how it goes.

J.

Good luck Julie!! You'd only be a couple hours from me and Tony and close to Laura, too. Whole bunch of people in this area, in fact. It would be a nice change to only be a couple or three hours from most trials, wouldn't it? You'd be closer to Renee, too, right?

Thanks Becca. It would be nice to be closer to the action so to speak. Elizabeth City just isn't close to anything. And I would also be closer to (my sister) Renee (talk about a gorgeous farm--she rents a small house on one, and last year when I was walking on it I couldn't help but notice all the nice potential trial fields...), and my nephew is a sophomore at NC State. Here's hoping....

J.

My sister lives north of Greensboro, probably not too far from Becca (at least I've seen the sign for Walnut Cove when driving back and forth with my sister). Her address is Stokesdale, but she's actually closer to Madison. She's about half an hour, if that, from the state line at Martinsville.

Ony three hours driving time? I won't know what to do with myself! At 2 hours, Sam's is the closest trial to me now--everything else is 4+.

J.

Let's see -- Wilson's is about 3 hours, Sam's 2.25, Craig's under 2, Roy's 1.5, Steve's 2, Dr Ben's 3.25, Shipman 2.25, Huntersville 2, Farmington 2, Montpelier 3ish, VA State Fair 2, Red Top under 4, Sherry Smith's about 4.5, Shreeder's 6-7, Bluegrass 8.5.

I'm sure there are others i'm not thinking of....

Hey Julie,

Great news that you may be heading our way!

Robin's right that the northern counties are the place to be. Land prices are still somewhat reasonable and there's easy access to interstates going any direction.

Sam's about the same drive time as you have now, but no I95 crunch, Roy is about 1.5 hours, about three to Edgeworth and the Hoffmans, well, you get the picture.

Robin, Cathy and I are in Granville County. It is an easy hop down to Durham, especially north of I-40.

Hmmmm... isn't there a Lowes on Ben Franklin Blvd??? We could place orders with you and get direct delivery same day!

I've done some work with a Realtor in Oxford, let me know if you want some preliminary info. Between the three of us there are plenty of training fields, but nothing like a trial field. So, be VERY aggressive in your negotiations so you can get a place with, oh, maybe a 60 acre field for us to work!

How'd your runs go at Roy's... I was at the top for the Open on Saturday, from there they all look alike. Was very pleased with Scout's run, well except for my role in it, and lord was it fun running Bryn on those lambs!

Colin

Hi Colin,

I will do my best to get the largest place possible. Though all you folks with small spaces seem to do JUST FINE at the trials anyway!

As for Roy's, it's all a blur. Don't remember my Saturday runs at all. On Sunday I missed the crossdrive panels with Jill, got the pen, but had only seconds to shed and didn't do it. Twist made it around the course with time to spare, all of which was used up at the pen. I think that particular set of sheep just wasn't going to pen--maybe if I had had 10 minutes for penning we would have done it. And Twist is a good penning dog.....

Sue,

I'm hoping, but I won't count any unhatched chicks. Seems like every time I get my hopes up over a job and start telling folks about it, things manage to go sour somehow.

J.

Let's see -- Wilson's is about 3 hours, Sam's 2.25, Craig's under 2, Roy's 1.5, Steve's 2, Dr Ben's 3.25, Shipman 2.25, Huntersville 2, Farmington 2, Montpelier 3ish, VA State Fair 2, Red Top under 4, Sherry Smith's about 4.5, Shreeder's 6-7, Bluegrass 8.5.

I like my central Virgina location...

I have about a 45 minute drive to Wilson's, Hoffman's, ABC, Seclusival and Montpelier. VA State Fair 1.5 hours, Sam's 1.5, Roy's 1.5, McCaig's 2, Craig's 3, Dean's and Huntersville 4, Long Shot 4, Dr Ben's and Red Top 5+ but then I have, oh lord, 8 or 9 to Schreeder's.

Christine,

Central VA would be my first choice, but there's one small problem: NO JOBS! Or at least none in my career field that would pay well enough to support my dog habit.

Mark,

While I would never turn down a big, big place to work my dogs, there are plenty of folks, on this board even, who do quite well in open while not having huge fields in which to work their dogs at home. Big would be ideal, but I don't think it's entirely essential if you can get your dogs to big fields at least some of the time. But then maybe we have different definitions of big and small. The one field I work my dogs on is maybe 15 acres (the other is 4 or 5). I don't consider the former big per se (unless I have to run from one end to the other), but certainly bigger than some places (including some I've visited to work dogs on). Just my opinion of course!

J.

Julie,

Our 3 acre field (the biggest we have) has at most 100 to 125 yd outrun; so having a 15 acre one is BIG to us. Like everything, it's comes down to your point of view. We're always wondering how much better we could be doing with a good sized field (300 yd outrun).

Mark

Speaking of rain gear...

Thinking about the people I know who *do* have significant acreage - while they can of course do more at home than those of us with less (or zero) acreage - when they are trying to get serious about training they like to trailer sheep to big, strange places. Just like the rest of us. I guess the sheep/dogs get used to just about any place that isn't *really* huge.

Still, I, too, drool over the idea of 100 acres to play with... Maybe when the acres are in the 100's (certainly when they're in the 1000's) one can keep the sheep from getting too predictable.

charlie torre