BC Boards

Whatcha think?

Shoofly

Sam and I were talking about trying something new at her trial this year and i thought i'd toss it out and see what people thought. We're not sure what to call it, but it's a raffle of handlers. We take the dog and handler teams and write the names on slips of paper and put them in a jar. Then folks buy those names for $10-$20 or so. At the end of the weekend, the person holding the name of the 2 day champ gets half of the money and the other half goes back into the prize money pool. It would be a fun way to try to cover some of our expenses so we can have a true 100% payback, and i think it would be fun and maybe even foster some comraderie from handler to handler as we all cheer for our "ponies".

So, whatcha think? Suggestions? What do you think about the cost, etc?

I don't understand the part about putting the names in a jar? Would it be a random drawing or would we get to pick who we thought would win the two day total? I don't think someone is going to want to pay $10 or $20 to pull a name out of a jar that could be a long shot.

Doesn't the Bluegrass have this sort of thing as a calcutta? Or like the "who draws the Don King sheep" pool at Hoffman's trial?

It's a random draw from a jar. It's more like the Don King sheep thing. The Calcutta thing is fun as long as you're not one of the folks up for auction. It can be pretty painful if you are.

I'd guess we'll get 60-70 dogs in the Open at the trial. Say we get 60, and sell 75% of the tickets (45), that's a prize of $225 to the person with the top finishing team that was drawn out, if we charge 10 bucks.

Hmmm $10 would be OK, but do you think you'd get a lot more interest at $5 per ticket?

You have to consider the chances. Of the total number of teams in the jar, what percentage would be seasoned Open handlers? Someone could draw out a team who just started running in Open and the chances that team winning the 2 day are slim compared to all the much more seasoned teams.

I'd do it for $10, but I am just trying to think of the average person's logic.

I think that sounds like it might cause hurt feelings. Besides, the 2 years we've had this trial, we've had 1st time Open winners both years (I think that's right).

Any other opinions out there? We don't want to do it if there's not enough interest or it won't raise a decent amount.

We could actually sell the chances early, no need to be present to win.

Sigh. Just taking a break from a real work day. I hate those.

They do this out in Alberta, at least at the trial I was at. They go around and ask each of their sponsors to give $100 which entitles them to buy an Open handler/dog team, randomly drawn. 50% of the proceeds are paid back to the first 5, I think it is, so sponsors have a pretty good chance of making back some money.

A.

Way ahead of me as usual girl.

I also like Christine's idea of raffling off the chance to run a cooperative dog. We did something like this when I was on the Music Parents' Committee at my kids' high school. We had a raffle/silent auction that entitled you to conduct O Canada at the year end concert and another one to crash the cymbals--same piece.

A.

You know what else might be fun? Have a class where handlers swap dogs and have a pool on who would win that class - money being split between the winner and the trial host.

In the horse show world, they have a class called the ASPCA Maclay. It's been many, many years since I was a junior equitation rider so the rules may have changed some. In this class the riders jump the course on their own horse and then the top 10 or so come back, swap horses and jump the course on the other persons horse. They actually have a Maclay Finals at Madison Square Garden each year and you have to qualify to get there. It a true test that singles out the "real" riders from the posers on their made horses.

Of course, for my idea you would have to have dogs that will work for someone else on a moment's notice and then handlers who would not mind someone else running their dog in a class.

Another fun idea is a team class where one handler/dog team does the outwork, another does the driving and another does the penning and the shedding.

Just tossing ideas in the air for a fun trial in the future.

A few years ago at one of the Hoffmans' trials, we had a team penning class. A novice and open handler teamed up and whatever team penned fastest won. It was a blast! I'm trying to remember the details but i think one dog went and got the sheep and then the other did the penning. Mostly i remember i was on a team with Kent and he slammed the sheep in so hard that the pen flew apart into pieces!

Stuff like that is a lot of fun. I wonder sometimes if we ought to get together during the off time and do some fun stuff, like maybe a points trial or something, enter day of, split the pot, that sort of thing.

Originally posted by Shoofly:

I wonder sometimes if we ought to get together during the off time and do some fun stuff, like maybe a points trial or something, enter day of, split the pot, that sort of thing.

I've always wanted to do a silent gather. Of course, I don't have the right dog for it now!

SILENT GATHER?? NOOOOOOOOOO

I don't much like silent gathers... does anyone recall the run off at Dean Holcomb's a few years ago between Tom Lacy, Wayne Parker and myself? Not a pretty site... Rook took the sheep to the the cross drive panels and Wayne's Rock took his in the opposite direction. :rolleyes: It was actually quite amusing - the comments of everyone under the handlers tent and the laughter at what the dogs were doing. Tom Lacy's Peg won - she pretty much did bring 'em straight to him. You can bet when I got home I did balance work!

Originally posted by Valhalla:

You have to consider the chances. <SNIP> Someone could draw out a team who just started running in Open and the chances that team winning the 2 day are slim compared to all the much more seasoned teams.

Um, that would be me, and you're right, the chances of me or someone like me winning the two day *are* slim to none! But the point is the gamble isn't it? You pay $10 for the (perhaps slim) chance of winning hundreds back. Wouldn't be much of a game if everyone bet on the most likely winner.... Just like playing the lottery or buying scratch offs. And you wouldn't have to give up too many magaritas (or other beverage of choice) to fund your chance to win. That said, I'm not likely to buy a chance either, simply because I'm currently unemployed and it's pretty much all I can do to pay my entries and the gas to get there.

On the other hand, I *love* the idea of a silent gather, but then that's probably because I have a dog that will do it.

All of the other stuff sounds really fun too.

J.

What if instead of offering a prize only for the two day winner ticket, offer more than one prize. For example, best outwork, drive, etc. Maybe you would sell more tickets if you have multiple chances to win. Plus you could be giving a boost to someone who maybe didn't have a great run overall, but was really good at a particular thing. The other ideas are great, but could get into a problem with time in order to finish the trial. Anyhow, just a thought.

Renee

I like the idea. However, I would have a separate "lottery" for each day.

1) More people would win

2) Anything/Anyone can win on any given day

3) A two day total will limit the winning teams to the usual suspects - and it will be more fun when an unexpected person wins the trial.

4) There will be more participation and excitement for all because a DQ or RET on one day will not eliminate anyone from the "lottery" on the next day.

5) A two day total will actually put pressure on people not retiring (or heaven forbid) will result in a lottery ticket holder being upset at a handler from retiring.

Hi All,

Yes, Marianna has finally decided to jump into the fray! I just wanted to share my 2 cents for what it's worth:

1. I like Craig's suggestion of more awards such as best outwork, drive, pen/shed as well as a winner per day versus overall. I would buy more tickets.

2. As far as pulling a less experienced team out of the jar, watch out for those less experienced open handlers...Keena Turner just won her first Open at Hubert's trial with a breath taking run! Her first Open was last November!!!

3. Hubert usually has a team penning class at his trial which is ALWAYS a blast. Both teams gather, then one team sheds and the other pens. Whoever has the fastest time wins. Very entertaining!!!

4. As one of the Maclay riders that Christine was referencing, I had my share of switching horses (sometimes we couldn't switch saddles). I can't imagine switching dogs and quickly learning someone else's whistles. Christine, you're a far braver person than I am!!!!! :rolleyes:

5. Robin, I think the raffle idea will be fun. We'll have to fine tune it at the Parkers!

A few years back Lyle Boyer started a game under the tent. For about 5 dollars a run people are given a judging sheet to score a run. When the run is over the sheet that scored closest to the actual judges score won the pot. At least I think that?s how it went. It?s a good way to practice evaluating runs.

I think that any and all of the ideas for Sam's trial are great because they give me a chance to win! How do winner's act?

Oops, I forgot that A. and I are the eukre champions of the universe.

In fact, I am soooooo good that I single handedly can take on Sam and Robin.....which I may have to do at Sam's unless I can come up with a satifactory replacement for A. Anyone interested, please send me your credentials.

Marianna, tell us about Kate. Are you coming to Sam's? You could be a euchre prospect.