BC Boards

leaving the pup at home with the man

Its funny.

I am so uneasy about my man and my pup alone together. I worry about them getting into trouble. or what if he dosen't leash her, or take her out to go potty enough. every day I come home and the living room is messier then I left it. because she was left unsupervised. he has no dog skills, lol and I worry although I have been told that I worry to much. I worry that all the work I have done will come unraveld if I am not the only one having one on one contact with her.

I have seperation anxity.

lol.

Mine thinks his only job is to just love on them! I tell him, make them wait till you say to go out the door/gate. Oh, but no, they just all gang out! So, I gotta get them all back in and make them wait till I say ok. I say, don't let Skip jump up on you. He says, but he's my boy and so happy to see me! Well, the guy is so patient and understanding with the dogs. Never raised an eyebrow when I told him TWO foster girls were coming. Never gets upset with chewing, even when its his shoes! So, what can I do? :rolleyes: I train, he spoils!

Gald to know that I am not alone in the worry of leaving the pup alone with the man he spoils, and forgets that she is there as well... lol.

Same here. I do most of the training.

One thing I would do, is I would have him use a crate, and I would then hand him an alarm clock and tell him put the pup in the crate if you can't watch him, and set the alarm so you don't forget to take him out. Good luck!

Beth G's idea of crate-training was what I thought of initially, also. It has helped with a host of potential problems, not the least of which is when I'm not home but someone else is because no one seems to keep an eye on things like "Mommy" does.

Remember that spouses/family/roommates/significant others are trainable - although sometimes it can be hard to tell that they are. My husband, bless his heart, has been wonderful with our dogs. I often come home to find he has not only pottied them outside but also taken them for a walk for me, fed them when I'm late, and/or played ball or other games with them for exercise. He loves on them and does well disciplining/setting limits, etc., and I could hardly ask for more. this is a lot to ask from someone who's very busy with other responsibilities. He doesn't always agree with me on training/handling, etc., but I can deal with that. Sometimes, I even have to admit he's right on one point or another.

If you can explain your reasons for doing certain things a particular way (not just "your way") with the dog, you may make more of an impact than if you just expect someone else to do it "your way". It's not always easy but I try to explain why I'm doing something a certain way and that makes it much easier for DH to see a purpose in what I'm doing, see that (if) it makes sense, and be willing to give it a try. I also need to respond in like manner by listening to his reasons and accepting things he prefers if they are reasonable and worthwhile, and not counterproductive to what I'm trying to accomplish.

Be patient, be pro-active (consider crating as an alternative), and be understanding. A little sugar goes a lot further than a lot of vinegar!

Best wishes!

People definitely can be trained! Scott used to be the spoiling type and never followed the 'rules' I have for Maggie, but after explaining why I do things the way I do them, like Sue mentioned, he 'saw the light' and has fun asking Maggie to do things to earn treats, doesn't let her get away with things, and is overall good with her. He's even taken up letting Maggie out in the morning for me.

I have to admit, my DH is wonderful about taking care of the dogs when I'm not there. Granted as a general rule if I'm not at home I have one or more dogs with me, but still - he does a great job. Sure, there are things he does differently than I would, and he runs a slightly looser ship in certain respects. But, on the important things he gets it done right. He has an active enough role in taking care of the dogs in general that he's well versed in their quirks, and takes care accordingly. He and I talk a lot about why I do what I do. I am so very grateful for his willingness to do that for me. One morning every weekend he even gets up with the dogs so I can snooze the morning away!

That being said, crates are always an alternative that he has available to him. I try to make things as easy as possible - keep things in their places, keep a detailed chart of who eats what and when, etc.

That being said, were my DH less dog savvy, I would probably suggest pup spend some time in the ex-pen or crate when he couldn't directly supervise. :rolleyes: