BC Boards

One more won't hurt, right...?

I've been volunteering with New England Border Collie Rescue for the past few months - I haven't been fostering (I know I would be a failure at that!) but I have done dog evaluations, PR stuff, etc.

A few weeks ago, I did a dog eval for an 18month old male bc named Bambino. The other volunteer and I were doing the eval and we had such a hard time keeping what we were thinking out of our expressions. This dog was skin and bones and almost completely shut down. His only excitement was going outside on a chain to go to the bathroom and escaping whenever he could to play with the beagle across the street. There were 6 kids in the household (17, four between the ages of 10 and 14 and one 2 week old baby) and the owners said that Bambino would get too excited when people came over to visit or the kids brought friends home. His new "trick" was chasing shadows and reflections. The owners thought that was a big joke and even encouraged it! :mad:

This dog was fearful when we first started the eval and hid under the table but let us do everything to him and showed no food aggression at all.

We were practically in tears when we left because Bambino was staring at us through the window the whole time. We knew we needed to get him out of that situation ASAP. The other volunteer (who doesn't normally foster) decided to do an "emergency foster" and told the owners that we had a home for him and pulled him the next day. She brought him to the vet for an evaluation and found that he had whipworm and coccidia (sp?) and was 10-15 pounds underweight. His ribs and spine were visible and it was painful to pet him because he was so bony.

He has been renamed Casey and has shown a vast improvement in the last 3 weeks and hasn't once chased shadows. He has great dog skills (and is currently living with his foster mom's other 3 dogs) and is a lively, happy dog. I went for a visit today to see how he was and I couldn't believe the difference. He is a little shy at first but within 30 minutes he had come up to me and rolled over in front of me, asking that I scratch his belly.

He and Dublin *love* each other. They played non-stop the whole 1.5 hours I was there.

I have been thinking about getting another dog but a few things have held me back:

1. I travel for work sometimes and paying to board two dogs would get very expensive.

2. My cats. I figured if I got another dog I would have to get a puppy. My cats are soooo not dog savvy - they are bullies and think nothing of chasing Dublin back into his crate or walking right up to his food dish while he is eating. They back him away from his dish to check out what he has. Dublin allows this because they trained him as a puppy to be scared of them. He would never dream of chasing them or objecting if they got too close to the food dish.

Now, his foster family has happily volunteered to watch Casey when I have to travel since he fits in so well with their pack (Actually his foster mom volunteered - his foster dad still wants to keep Casey but *might* be willing to let me have him if I promise to visit and let them board him when I travel :rolleyes: )

Dublin is obviously for the match - he would love to have a buddy.

This guy really tugs at my heart, none of the other dogs I've evaluated ever have. So it looks like I am going to take him in 2 weekends for a trial run to see how the cat situation works out. I am kind of worried about how this might change my relationship with Dublin because it has been just the 2 of us (not counting the cats) for 2 years now, but we will see.

Here 's a picture of Casey playing with his foster brother - Casey is the one on the left.

Casey.jpg

If your heart says yes, then I'm sure it's the right thing to do!

Good luck with the cats. Tell them they'll have twice as much food to steal (or arrogantly claim) from now on.

Oh my gosh!! That coloring looks JUST like Zoe's! (The body, not the face so much). I've just never seen a BC with that coloring before (other than that site that shows all the *possible* colors - I've just never actually seen someone else with a dog that color). WOW!

mar-outside2.jpg

If your heart says yes, go for it! Will you regret it if you don't? He's sooooo gorgeous!!

Kerry, if Casey tugs at your heart like none of the others has, and if Dublin says it's OK, then definitely take him for trial weekends (you can always set up a cat room.) I agree your first responsibility is to your existing animals, but if things go reasonably smoothly on trial weekends, then why not.

Yes, your relationship with Dublin will change somewhat - but not necessarily for the worse - and after all, the foundations are in place now. Yes. you will have to make time for one on one time with each dog - but that's do-able, right?

Good luck with the trials.

Casey is a beautiful dog! I'm glad you guys got him out of that horrible situation.

I had reservations about getting another dog, too, back when Sammie was our only dog. There are disadvantages to a multi-dog household, but I have found that the advantages far, far outweigh them.

Since everyone else said yes, I'll say no. I'll be that little voice in the back of your mind that says boarding two dogs is expensive, and your cats might kill him, and neither of those is anything to sneeze at.

If you're not 100% sure about this then I'd say wait. There are so many dogs and pups available that I have no doubt another would tug at your heart strings.

On the other hand, that is a very small list, so my "voice" would not be very loud. :rolleyes:

All the things you mention are what we all go through when considering another dog. I would never have only one dog again. The communication between my dogs is something amazing, and when I go away, they have eachother. If you like the dog, the dog does well with your present animals, and you are ready, then adopt this dog. Nothing will ever be the most perfect circumstance, but from what you have said, it sound pretty nearly so. As for the relationship with Dublin; all dogs are so different. Some are more heart dogs, and some are happy not being so close. I think once you have this boy, you will wonder what your pack did without him.

Julie

I hope the trial period goes well...and that Casey finds himself a new home with you It sounds like Dublin would enjoy a pal anyway..and yes, two dogs are more expensive, but you get double, the pleasure :rolleyes:

My fingers are crossed for ya!

Thanks guys. I am still a bit ambivalent about it - I can't imagine loving another dog like I love Dublin - and it wouldn't feel fair if I didn't. But I have a feeling that would sort itself out. (you know, I didn't have these issues when I got my third cat! :rolleyes: )

Casey is such a sweetheart, though. He tries so hard to please and it just thrilled when he gets any attention from you. He isn't a dominant dog - very happy to be middle of the pack (same as Dublin) and Casey immediately backs down and diffuses any tense situations (his foster family has a "queen bee" female BC).

There has been some other interest in Casey from a few other of the volunteers (I'd be surprised if he makes it to our "available" list; or if he does he won't stay long!) If someone who competes in agility is intersted in him, then that would be the better home for him. He will make a *great* sport dog and I only dabble in agility with Dublin.

Decisions, decisions.

PS: Natalie - it is freaky how much Zoe and Casey look alike. No joke, my first reaction to the picture you posted was "where'd she get that picture of Casey from?". I had never seen a sable BC before either but his foster family has one as well - looks like Casey's twin except for the blaze on Spencer is a bit wider. You know, you *are* within our adoption area if you want to adopt Casey!

Kerry, I just have to chime in as a member of the Justanotheronewon'thurt Club. Its a tough decision. Before we got Bree, I had been alone with just me and Ginger for, what, about 5 years? Something like that. I mean we literally lived alone, her and I. To be perfectly honest, when I brought this pup home she was not all that happy. She has since adjusted, but I am fully aware of the fact that she's one of these dogs that would be perfectly happy for it to be just her and I again... and Chuck too because she adores him now too.

She did, however, enjoy Bree immensly while she was a puppy. They played well together, and now that her arthritis is under control I find them playing together nicely again. She even finally has started to entice June to play. It all has worked out in the end. As for Zippy, she just barely notices him - although she does let him sleep on the dog bed with her when they're in the office.

As for the love thing... I didn't know if I had enough to go around. What I've found is that there is PLENTY to go around. I love each of my dogs, but they occupy different spots in my heart. Each of them has their own place, and its not as overwhelming as I thought it would be.

Like Michelle says, you need to be sure (well, at least as sure as you can be). I have to admit, when I brought Bree home I regretted it. She's 2-1/2 years old now, and I regretted bringing her home until she was 18 months. However, part of that was the fact that she was an evil troublemaker puppy, and I had never had a puppy before (nevermind a BC pup).

I think a trial run is a GREAT idea. June came to stay with me for a "trial run". She came for a sleepover and never left. Then again, she was mine in my heart long before she ever stepped a foot through the door.

Kitch - Hahaha, my hubby would KILL me. If it were just me and Zoe it'd be tempting though... I think I've fallen for sables. I still can't get over how much Casey looks like Zoe though. It's so cool. :rolleyes:

Good luck with your decision.

Kerry, I do know what you mean about wondering how you'll be able to love another dog. Been there - and like Laura says - it works itself out. There is a famous Australian children's book called The Magic Pudding , about a pudding which, no matter how many pieces are cut from it, still remains the same - and I think our love for our dogs is a lot like that. So that not only is there room in our hearts for our existing dogs (and cats), but our previous ones are in there too.

Sometimes when I'm having a day at an agility trial with Kirra, or when I was helping out at my trainer's farm, and we were out with the sheep, and poor Fergus is stuck in the car, I feel badly about him - but then we'll be at a tracking or obedience trial, and it's all about him.

Oh, and if Casey is going to be a good agility dog, no reason why you can't be there with him! :rolleyes: After all, I'm way too old and heavy and slow-thinking for Kirra - but hey - she forgives me, and we have a blast, even if we DQ.