BC Boards

adopting a 2nd BC questions

I am seriously thinking about adopting a 2nd BC (possibly as soon as this weekend).

I presently have a 9 year old BC whom I adopted when he was 3 years old ("Ricky").

Great dog, wonderfull personality, very affectionate and terribly afraid of thunderstorms.

I have discovered a 7 year old BC who needs a home and I'm thinking Ricky might like to have a companion since he is alone in the house all day.

How do first dogs normally react when another is brought into the family?

Do they get jealous, have territorial issues or any other social problems?

I know it depends on the dog, but what are common problems, if any, when adpopting a 2nd after the 1st has been around for so many years.

I don't want to cause any problems for my present BC or change his personality in any way.

any help in this matter, for the sake of both dogs, would be greatly appreciated.

I think that one wise choice is to introduce the dogs on "neutral" ground - at a place that is not "home" or personal territory for either dog.

Do they get jealous, have territorial issues or any other social problems?
Sometimes. So much depends on the individual dog but making sure that dog #1 receives the same love and attention and one-on-one time and doesn't feel displaced by dog #2 is very important. Dogs having their "own" space can be important - that's one thing I love about crates - each of mine has their own private place where they can eat or rest, etc., in privacy.

Our old Mac (who is intact and too old for us to consider neutering him unless it was for a health issue) has seen three puppies and one young dog come into our household with a laid-back attitude. However, while he did well with our son's intact Sheltie as a pup, they hate each other now that Compa is adult (and also, sadly, still intact) as they both seem to want to be everyone's protector (from each other, as well).

Our daughter's three come to visit - but Mac has problems with the male that was neutered as an adult and still doesn't realize it. He is perfectly fine with the females.

An important issue then might be what gender is the potential new dog? If it's a female, that should make things easy. If it's another male, that might be more likely to present a problem but it won't necessarily be a problem.

You may find that a new dog may pick up your dog's fear of thunderstorms but you may not. My Border Collies have none of Mac's long-standing issues with thunder and gunshots (with his hearing diminishing, he has fewer issues with those sounds himself).

I think since each dog has its own personality, each introduction is unique and you may just have to give it a try, remembering to be fair to both dogs and do what you can to minimize any potential conflicts before they start.

Best wishes!

I have an older dog (Tex is 8) who is fully blind. I know he likes other dogs but he has problems understanding their intentions because he can't read their body language. He walks around 'muttering' under his breath when he tries to play and the other dogs get confused and reject him.

The rescue I worked with was wondeful. They had a pup who they thought would be a great match, personality wise. It was too far to travel to do a test meet so I trusted their experience and decided to adopt the pup.

It's been great. They are a perfect pair and they have become best buddies. They touch muzzles together and curl up touching one another.

I think a play date is a good thing. Is there someone who knows the new dog well and can give you an idea of his past behaviours?

How does one determine if they like each other.
That's a good question. One guideline I like is that if they want to play, which is usually a good sign. However, it doesn't sound like Ricky might be a candidate for that as a criterium.

I am no expert but I would look for both dogs to be relaxed around each other - no hackles, no hard looks, no teeth (of course), etc., after they've had the chance to meet each other. Spend some time with both dogs in close proximity and see how they react and interact.

An agility event can be very exciting and stressful - you might want to find a quiet corner for introductions and time for the dogs to meet and greet and be able to interact.

I would be careful to avoid any potential guarding situations - favorite toys, chewies or treats, food dishes, sleeping spot, etc. Make sure each dog has their own (the guideline is to have at least one more toy/chewie than you have dogs because everyone will have to switch around to sample the other dog's treasures).

One thing that I think is important is (within reason) to let them work it out. Dog language and people language are not the same and we sometimes overreact to what for dogs is simply communication. A show of teeth, an act of dominance, etc., is communication - as long as it doesn't escalate (in other words, it has been successful), it's generally not an issue.

As hard as it may be, make sure that you can take the new dog on a trial basis for some period of time - sometimes, potential difficulties don't show up for a few days (kind of like a honeymoon). You want both dogs to be happy members of your family and not to adopt a new dog and have Ricky's quality of life decrease.

Just my opinions - best wishes! I am sure others with much better understanding and experience will chime in to help you.

Every dog has a different kind of ruleset. With Oreo you know she likes another dog when she ignores it completely and possibly even sniffs it. (If she doesn't like a dog she shows lots of teeth, growling, "get the heck away from me" behavior.)

Dogs can surprize you. It does seem to be very individualized... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When my brother brought home a female puppy I thought for sure Oreo would throw a fit. But she didn't. She ignored the puppy of course, and seemed a little "Are you KIDDING me? It's staying??" but they've been great. It's been two years now and they get along wonderfully. (No snuggling though. Oreo don't do that.)

I hope it goes well for you! You're the best reader of your dog, so take your cues from him.

Well, it could be a new issue due to circumstances, fencing, etc., and it could be that they've decided they won't bother with Chico any more and it's an excuse. Who knows? You will probably just need to evaluate him yourself, with the help of his foster family, who should know him very well by now.

At least this gives you some indication that Chico might have "herding" behaviors around stock or other dogs. This could be an issue with Ricky if Chico were to "work" him and it bothered Ricky. However, I have a dog that works other dogs and they seem to ignore him when he does. It's part of his play style.

I would find it hard to pass up a face like Chico's. If it works, giving a dog a new life in a loving and forever home is one of the most rewarding things you can do. I know because we've done it and never regretted it a single moment.

I sure hope it works for Chico. But I would be very leery of having two older males (even though both are neutered) together. If they spent time together as youngster, maybe it would work; maybe it'll work anyway. But I would want to be certain that they are TOTALLY OK with each other, before leaving them alone. Can you separate them for awhile? Then you could let them be together while you're around. Anything from resource guarding (which you may simply have never seen, if the case never presented itself), to territorial issues with Ricky, to who know what.

Bless you for considering taking an older dog in - but do be careful. Hope it works!

Diane

What are the problems associated with taking an older dog in?

I better understand this before making a decision because a dog takes a great picture and is cute.

A lot of people seem surprised I am willing to do this. I understand I may only have about 5 years with him, but at least he would be happy for the rest of his life.

I guess I figured with enough patience and training even an older dog would become a great family member.

The rescuer is bringing two males with her that are available for adoption. Chico and a three year old BC who is house broken and crate trained.

I would not be at all leery of having two older males who did not grow up together. I have 3 males and 2 females in my house, none of them grew up together. I have fostered dozens and dozens of dogs over the last decade. I've never had dogs that could not live together and my oldest male is considered dog aggressive.

While careful introductions and management is important initially, I don't think it's fair to get all spooky on the dual male thing. In fact, the only time I have had real problems have been with females. Including the one I added to an existing pack of males. She beat the shit out of all of them at first.

RDM

My 6yo female is polite to other dogs but never plays with them. However, the dogs we've fostered she either ignores their play invites or decides she likes the dog and plays with them. But she NEVER plays with any other dogs outside of our house - only ones that live with us for a while, that she likes.

And either way, she sleeps alone in the house and doesn't seek their attention.

She does LOVE her human family - but tolorates other humans and their petting.

E, RDM and Sue have given great advise as they always do. I have a 6 year old "bossy as can be" neutered male and recently added a 13 year neutered male with no issues at all. They spent a few days walking around each other and that was about it. As long as you continue to give dog #1 the same attention he is used to you shouldn't have any problems. Let them meet on common ground but you really won't know until weeks afterwards how they will be with each other. Chico looks like a great dog. And just my opinion boys are always easier to deal with than girls!!!

PS OLDER DOGS ARE THE GREATEST!!!

You put that if the dog only stays with you for another 5 years that at least they could be happy ones, I am with you there. My dog is 16 years old and we have a BC who is 'supposed' to be her companion, except the BC doesn't play with her, and believe me, I know my dog, and the olde girl wants to play. They seemed to get along well at meeting so I thought it'd all be good, and they don't fight, Lucy may growl now and again, if she thinks the BC jumping up at the boys might hurt them, but they get along okay, if Sophie ignoring old Lucy is considered okay!! And I truely do think that even with the ignoring that Lucy is enjoying having Sophie to chase after to growl at! :rolleyes: YOu know your pet the best, but I'd say - go for it!!

There are really no rules. I have 3 unneutered males (one a GSD), 2 neutered males and a spayed female living in harmony in my house right now. One of the neutered males (a beagle-bassett) has only been with us a couple of weeks and is here on a temporary basis. The rest (4 border collies and the GSD) have been an intact pack for around 6 years. I bring new dogs into the house(male/female, intact/not) all the time and have had very few problems. I'm careful with the introductions and careful when I'm not there (sometimes seperating "iffy" dogs) - but in general expect and get peace. The one thing I'd caution is not to overreact to some initial snarliness/aloof behavior - give them some time (and space) to get used to one another - often dogs that seem to not get along initially end up being buddies in the long run. Some never hit it off completely but learn to live together.

Kim

I have to agree with the 'expect peace' and don't get too freaked by some initial snarly stuff.

My pack has been added too as well. First Jazz, my one and only puppy, after a year, I added Zachary, who was 6 years old, then Cricket who 6 months old and VERY cranky for her medical reasons. Basically they all got along very well. When Dusty BA arrived, he was a foundling and I had no idea of his background. He was the toughest to integrate and the first year was 'interesting'. Dusty is small but feisty and relished in picking on the BC's! It seems to have worked out alright. Sometimes they play together...sometimes they don't and there is still the occasional tussle which I can usually break up with VERY STERN HEY!!!!!!!

Chico looks like a nice fellow and you already know what Ricky is like.

Good luck, keep us all posted (we like pictures) :rolleyes: and there are great people here who can be of assistance when you need it.