BC Boards

Why I chose a working Border Collie

Today my friend, Ron brought 10 ewes over. Never been worked by a dog and big, rangy Rommany/Suffolk and a couple of Dorset/coops....a couple just had lamb pulled off them. They needed to be worked by a dog.

I pull Scotty out, he just came from a 200,000 acre cattle ranch where he worked bulls, cow/calf pairs---up to 5000 are run at this ranch. He worked there all his life and I got him at 6.5 yr. He is a super dog!!

Now the fun part. Scotty had to dog break the ewes. Each and everyone who charged out of the flock at him would try to ram him, no matter how far off and kind he worked. He would air snap, then do a quick face grip and back off and if the ewe would turn back he let her. If she continued to charge and try to run him down, he would stand his ground, hit noses and back down and finally after 15 minutes they were working great. He knew when to hit and then to wait. I just stood there and let him work it out. I figured since he would work miles by himself on the cattle ranch then he would have a better idea of what to do than me....:rolleyes:

These ewes just came off a mountain range where they were range ewes who had to protect themselves against coyotes..no human help, just on their own....this was evident in their method of charging Scotty. I have never seen wild range ewes and man it was a eye opener. They were going at his full gusto and I mean knock out, drag out , kill the coyote attitude....guess I know why these ewes are alive on the mountain range!!

About 30 minutes later he had them going all over the pasture, all nice and quiet like.

Running a dog in a trial is one thing but working range ewes is a whole 'nuther picture!!!

He was doing what he was bred to to and did a great job working the tough range ewes. Tonight I have a new respect for my Border Collies and especially for Scotty.

Diane

I agree! You can share even more details and I won't mind a bit!

Wasn't it a bit dangerous for Scotty? Or is this something he knows all about (with sheep I mean)? Are there dogs like Scotty that are used specifically for the purpose of dogbreaking sheep?

I sure wish I could have been there to watch!

I second that! I would have loved to watch the drama of animal vs. animal. And Scotty showing so much of the instinct vital to this breed of extra-ordinary dogs! If you would have vidioed it, you would have an order from me immediately! Thanks for the post!

When I went up to see Scotty on the cattle ranch, I was given a demo of his work. We went into a feedlot of about 150 calves that were just taken from their moms. They were bawling and acting like lost calves.

I was unsure of how a dog would work calves and in this type of situation but Chris the prior owner, sent Scotty and hardly gave him any commands. Within 20 or so minutes, he was moving them all over the feedlot. At first, they would try to run over him or act stupid or scatter in numerous directions.

Chris let Scotty work, a quick head grip or low heel grip, then wait for the calf to make a move and it was the right one, he would slowly work it...if not, another quick nip and then let the stock re-evaluate the situation.

After the work, I turned to Chris and said "I'll take him"...that is, after I picked my jaw off the ground!!!

On a side note, 3 yrs prior I had seen Chris run Scotty in arena trial which he was one of the top dogs and at that time I offered to buy him but Chris said he was his top hand and turned me down....fast forward three yr later and Chris is retiring Scotty so he can have a nice trial home since he worked very hard the first 6.5 yrs of his life and I got him. I think someone *above* was looking out for me. I was blessed by the fact that Chris let me have him

So back to your question...was he in danger when he was working the sheep...not at all, I have seen him in action and the best thing that I could do was shut my mouth and let him work.

Now he is fast asleep in his pet nest bed, belly up and four paws sticking up in the air. With his stuffed toy next to his head.

Diane

WOW! How fitting for a true blue BC! He "retires" to herd sheep! Yeah, it is great you got him! How wonderful that his previous owner thought enough of him that even though he was still a great dog, that it was time to let him go into his "twilight" years with a little less stress! Like saying, hey, you worked your heart out for me all these years, take it easy now pup........how many could do that? Well, jeeze, getting all "hallmarky" here, so I will stop and just say, All the best to you and Scotty!

When I read this post, I first said "why on earth did the owner give him up??". He sounds like an extraordinary dog. With all his experience and "get 'er done" attitude, MAN you are fortunate! One question- how will you keep him from being bored?

Maybe you will have to start a dog breaking sheep biz Congratulations to you both!

Julie

Here is a pix of Scotty and me just hanging out. I'll have to get a pix of him working stock soon. He has a lots os style and power and is very biddable. he has two blue eyes and lots of white on his head, far more than I like but since I have had him, I have fallen head over heels for him. Tess and Scotty are my two main dogs.

For those of you that know my Mick that ran at Nationals last yr, Scotty is is half brother. (same sire). Mick has gone to one of my top students as her trial dog......what a good match!!

Chris retires the ranch dogs and horses to loving homes...he figures they have earned their retirement and makes sure each goes to a good home. I like the way he trains the dogs and horses and work the cows.....quiet and patient.

scottyandDiane.jpg

So how about stories from you folks on working stock stories like Scotty.....things that make you go *ahhhhh******

Diane

He's gorgeous! I hope someone takes up your offer and tells a stock story. I bug Laura to tell me all the juicy details when she works her June on sheep. I just love the stories and wish I was doing more than reading about it.

I can only smile when I think of how happy you must be to have him around. I'm really happy for you! Him too!

• 4 months later...

I'm looking at my two BC's. The rescue, and the one with the papers, and I'm thinking wow. As you said, my jaw is most seriously on the floor. They've got a long way to go just to be good ranch dogs!

A humble bow of respect! Such a cool story!

-jay

Nice story Diane!

It thrills me to hear the end of Scotty's story that he was resting in his beddy with his toy at his head, the rest of the story was thrilling too!

I don't go more than a week without having to pick my jaw off the ground with these wonderful dogs!

All my dogs are working dogs (at least the ones I acquired after starting on stock myself) but they are also my loving friends. I take all kinds of flak about how I spoil my working dogs with house life and toys. I think they spoil me!

I need those range ewes here in AR. I've lost a ewe to coyotes and hope the rest are learning how to protect themselves a bit more than when we moved here.

My llama is really getting rank now and I have to separate him if I want to work stock. Back in MO where all he did was protect his sheep from an occasional stray dog, he was as docile as the lambs.

Spit and stomp to all who mess with his ewes!

I am looking for the right LGD as we speak...

My newest stock story would be teaching my young dog (or watching him figure out) how to do blind outruns and really trust me as to finding his sheep. Our tractor is broke down since moving here and our fields are waist deep. Mick can not see his sheep nor can they see him. When we started gathering sheep in this type grass, he would just blow out and run all over looking for stock. I wasn't able to go out and help him as the chiggers were/are eating me alive, but still need to gather my sheep. Now he goes out deep and waits to hear me whistle then turns in and stands till he can see his sheep, or I ask him up. These conditions are so new to me I have limited ideas about what to do. Give him a week and we got it! Next challenge??? Guess that'd be getting the darn tractor fixed again....

3 Cheers to our working partners!

Kristen