BC Boards

It's that time of year again: yuck

Pipedream Farm

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second your "YUK"....but what really bothers me, is this dog's eyes....they look blank, or frightened, or I'm not sure what...They sure don't look like the BCs that I have or that I've seen on in the photo gallery here!

I agree, I watched the breed compition(if you dont know the westminster site has streamline videos so you can watch the breed compititions) I swear every last dog in that ring looked the same, exept for one aussie red. and some of those dogs looked like they wanted to be anywhere but there. I also watched the GSD one, ooo that one was a serious YUK! half of those dogs could not stand without their backfeet in the postion they are shown in, as soon as the dogs stood normal you could see their back ends starts to wobble and the handler quickly grabing their foot and sticking it back before they fell over. the GSD breed winner is the same as last year as well.

I second the yuck but soon will you won't be able to make the statement of an aussie with a tail.

Some aussie breeders (more working line of course) are getting away from docking tails. They are actually keeping them intact. This will definitely hurt the selling of the pups cuz they won't be show quality. Here is one for the Aussie folks... yay

Originally posted by 2 Devils:

Some aussie breeders (more working line of course) are getting away from docking tails. They are actually keeping them intact.

I was talking to an aussie woman at an agility trial recently, and she was lamenting 'the plight of the aussie breeders in Europe' since they're not allowed to dock anymore. Specifically, she said they are up in arms because "after so many years, how are we supposed to know what the tail should look like?" Um, hangs somewhere off the butt, long enough to swat things off a coffee table?

Anyway, thought that was funny.

Originally posted by C Denise Wall:

Oh come on, Joan. They're really just like our dogs. All they do is give them a bath after working in the fields. I'm sure all those border collie breed handlers are back in the back talking about livestock trailers and working cattle just like we are.

Warning! They've gotten to Denise! Denise has turned into a POD! :eek:

If Barbie Collies were all there were I would have something else. I don't know what. Probably a Kelpie. I see no more reason to have a faux "Border Collie" bred for conformation than I would a Golden Retriever, or a Chow, or a Bedlington Terrier. They are THAT different from my dogs, an entirely different breed.

Why can't people see that? How dare they call those dogs Border Collies?

Well, I have one of "those" Border Collies. Bought her for agility, but found herding, knew nothing about working lines at the time. She is doing awesome at USBCHA trials and other venues. I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world. I have since purchased two BC's from top notch working lines. Please don't put down some of these Border Collies, because they are not all alike. My Kelli is VERY intelligent. She does not have a blank stare, moves well, and is beautiful on top of all that. It's not fair to group all of these dogs into one.

Owner of one great Australian bred B.C. and two awesome males from imported working lines.

Kelli - Check out the thread on "Ack" in the general section. That will explain a lot of what you are reading here and has some links to further explain why many folks are so vehement about breeding for the work versus conformation breeding.

That said, I'm glad you have some great dogs. Folks on the board have nothing against anyone's dogs. We (in general) just object to breeding for anything but the work.

Enjoy your dogs!

Every year we have to clarify that we are not putting down individual dogs, we are merely shuddering at the horrible thought that the Kennel Club people think that THOSE DOGS are the epitome of what a Border Collie ought to be.

So if you own one of THOSE DOGS and are getting hot under the collar at percieved insults (ok, they are direct insults :rolleyes: ), remember it is an idea we are reacting to, not an individual dog.

I've actually met Merlin. He's not quite as clueless as he looks in the ring though he didn't really remind me of my herding dogs. Very much into that "soft eyed" look they breed for down there in OZ. Yes, he was plump, but not as fat as some of the show dogs I was seeing that day (I was there for a rescue event).

What struck me was how petlike he seemed. Sort of like a cross between a sheltie and a Golden Retriever. A lot of people look at these dogs and compare them to shelties or Aussies. The ones I've met really ARE more like Goldens. It seems like if you take the working instinct and ethic out you are not left with an average dog, but a less than average dog, in terms of focus and intelligence.

Which leaves us with an interesting theory. Possibly, these dogs that are touted as being the world's smartest dogs, really don't possess real brain power, but rather get their mental prowess from the balance of work ethic, instinct, and temperament that goes into working stock.

Breed that out, and what are you left with?

Golden Retrievers in tuxedoes.

Hmmmmmmmm . . . .

well..hanging my head in shame..I USED to look at THOSE dogs and think how beautiful...UNTIL I got my duchess,,and saw her parents..2 working dogs working at the time). all muddy and scruffy ..and

thought NOW that is beautiful

duchess' pic in gallery forgot how to post it already...lol

Kelli,

I'm glad that you love your dog and that you are happy with her. I have a Papillon along with my Border Collies, and I love him and am happy with him.

I don't have anything against the Australian-bred Barbie Collies. I just don't consider them the same breed. If breeds are defined by common ancestry and selection for the same traits then I think Barbie Collies fit the criteria to be a separate breed -- any common ancestry is way way back and they haven't been bred to work for dozens of generations.

So, I find it odd and distasteful for the breed ring to show dogs that aren't Border Collies and call them Border Collies. Not only that, but to present them as the best of the Border Collie breed when they have little or nothing to do with the Border Collie breed. It doesn't mean I have anything personally against those dogs, but just as I wouldn't have a Golden Retriever or a Lab, those dogs just aren't my cup of tea. They are probably perfectly nice dogs. But they are not Border Collies, and that's the long and short of it.

There is a bright side to that hideous photo. You'd never mistake a conformation bred 'champion' dog for a working dog. So if you have 2 wits to research the breed you'd be able to tell the difference. There's a horrific difference between conformation GSDs and herding GSDs, too, and you don't have to be a GSD aficianado to tell the difference.

You know what? I would support a Novice trial organization seperate from USBCHA JUST so the sporter collie people would stop saying their dogs do GREAT in "USBCHA trials". Novice trials are NOT USBCHA trials! I've never run a dog in a USBCHA trial, for instance, never having run a dog in either Nursery or Open (though I'll have one of each next year, probably). So my dogs don't do GREAT in USBCHA trials. They are competant in Novice trials sponsored by local clubs and just offered by some nice person but that says very little about their worth as working dogs, frankly. Those don't have anything to do with USBCHA.

I like the term "Border Collie trials" as long as we all understand that this includes Novice classes.

Sorry, I'm a word person and tend to get huffy when terms are misused, especially to mislead.

Thanks, Rebecca, for clearing that up!

Am I correct in saying that USBCHA only sanctions Open and Nursery classes? All others (Beginner's, Nov/Nov, Pro/Nov, and Ranch/Open Ranch) are add-ons and prep classes for the real trial classes of Open and Nursery.

I guess I will have to admit now that I have never run my dog in a USBCHA trial since we've only run at Beginner's and Nov/Nov. And we haven't even done great! But we've had a good time and learned from it.

"Beauty is as beauty does" - remember that old saying? How about, "It's what's inside that counts" or "Don't judge a book by its cover". Any dog that does the work is beautiful, no matter what he/she looks like.

Conformation classes make as much sense to real life and true worth as bathing suit competitions and wet tee-shirt contests do. No sense at all!