BC Boards

Jon Katz Movie

Movie news

It's a dog's life for Bridges

Actor Jeff Bridges has agreed to star in the upcoming comedy 'A Dog Year', in which he will play the role of a man suffering a mid-life crisis who adopts a border collie to find companionship.

The film is apparently based on John Katz's memoir and will see Bridges' character surprised to find that his adopted canine friend is even more out of control than he is, despite his severe personal crisis.

According to Empire, scriptwriter and producer George LaVoo is set to make his directing debut with the film, which is scheduled to start shooting in New York in June.

Sorry to sound so negative, Meg's mum. I love movies, I love dogs, I love Jeff Bridges... but this stinks.

Jon Katz is very bad for border collies:

Link One

Link Two

Link Three

Link Four

Link Five, etc.

According to Sheepdog-L, the production company's animal trainer is looking to hire a smooth-coated border collie... "a true working sheep dog..." so I imagine there'll be some awful scenes of "herding."

We'll get a story about a man and his AKC-bred dog, we'll get tons of misinformation about real, working sheepdogs---and pet stores, pounds and rescues will be flooded with poorly-bred border collies as BYBs go into overdrive when the movie comes out. And because the movie features Jeff Bridges and lots of cute dogs, it'll probably be a hit. Really, I could just puke.

Oh, crap. This just sucks. Every time a new version of 101 Damlations comes out there's this surge in people who want Dalmation puppies, and get them with no clue about the breed or what they're taking on. I can just see this happening with BCs now. Apart from the indiviudual misery and damage done when people get dogs without understanding what they're taking on, this sort of thing tends to drive the less-scrupulous breeders and can result in an upswing in the number of litter produced by such people. This is JUST what the breed needs. Not. This just makes me ill. Not to mention that this will probably enrich Katz and just encourage him. Ugh.

Katz is an entertaining writer - I just wish they would put his dog books in the fiction category like his mysteries. His dog stories have characters just like fictional characters in the the "Cat Who" or Sneaky Pie Brown - books I enjoy but know are purely fiction. I hate the thought of a movie; it may be entertaining but it will definitely give the wrong impression of the breed to the detriment of BC's and rescue groups.

Originally posted by AK dog doc:

Oh, crap. This just sucks. Every time a new version of 101 Damlations comes out there's this surge in people who want Dalmation puppies, and get them with no clue about the breed or what they're taking on. I can just see this happening with BCs now. Apart from the indiviudual misery and damage done when people get dogs without understanding what they're taking on, this sort of thing tends to drive the less-scrupulous breeders and can result in an upswing in the number of litter produced by such people. This is JUST what the breed needs. Not. This just makes me ill. Not to mention that this will probably enrich Katz and just encourage him. Ugh.

"Babe" was bad enough...

I think we need more than one barf bag. I wish (of course what good would it do) that the ABCA and perhaps USBCC would make a formal statement about this movie and this writer. Has anyone ever really talked to Jon Katz and told him he is not helping the breed in any way?

Caroline

trying not to hurl

Can we buy the barf bags in bulk? We need another over here.

Katz is an entertaining writer - I just wish they would put his dog books in the fiction category
I like his books, but I soon as I remember "oh wait, this isn't fake" I start to feel sick. I do *like* his books, just not the fact that it is real. :rolleyes:

Trying to hold my dinner down.....

from Sheepdog-L

SHEEPDOG-L: Subject misc

Dear group,

I have a client that has sent me this e-mail. Maybe someone would be

interested. You can respond to her e-mail.

"A movie dog trainer is looking to hire a short haired American Border

Collie for a part in a movie, called "A dog year"

The dog needs to be a true working sheep dog with if possible an older

wise look to him.

The movie will be shot in upstate New-york in the Vermont area in

mid-July."

Mark

Just to second what AK Dog Doc said about 101 Dalmations, I hate to see the media focus on dogs. I remember when Shar Peis were considered novelties and surely the fact that Chihuahuas are the "dog du jour" of the celebrity set can't be good for the breed.

My vet commented years ago when dealing with the myriad of health problems that plagued my Cocker Spaniel that the worst thing to happen to Cockers was to be named the "Most Popular Dog in America." I would hate for this movie to wreak more havoc on BC's.....the BC rescue folks had better eat their Wheaties!

I've never read Katz's books and didn't know anything about them. I simply don't read those kinds of books. Nor am I a fan of any of the Bridge's. Frankly I usually dislike dog or (animal) movies of any kind.

I was hoping for a representation of the breed (or any breed) that isn't 'cute' but it doesn't sound like this is he opportunity.

I read the first book (it was a gift from a non dog person) and did not like it. It had nothing to do with the dog issue, I just didn't think he was a good writer, it didn't catch me, it didn't make me laugh, it didn't make me cry...it left me quite indifferent actually.

I'm shocked that they would actually make a movie out of something so inconsequential..then again..maybe not.

And unfortunately, even if they do represent the breed well, they surely won't be serving it, or dog-dom, well.

Maria

I guess the BYB are rubbing their grubby hands together now. :mad: Maybe it should be mandatory at the beginning of each 'dog' movie to show the number of the 'selected' breed being euthanized at shelters!

Pass the barf bag this way :rolleyes:

pukefacebig.gif

A lot of "people who have dogs" rave on and on to me about how GREAT Jon Katz is, and how WONDERFUL his books are. I typically try to interject that while his books may provide some entertainment that I wouldn't put much stock in them in regards to how to train one's dog, and wouldn't consider his experiences with his dogs as ones I would care to repeat with my dogs. I too fear what kinds of negative effects this may have on Border Collies. Ick.

I enjoyed the Jon Katz's books I've read (haven't read 'A Dog Year'), but only from a strictly entertainment point of view. I can understand how he's not being helpful to the border collie breed, though.

My first thought was the same as several others: 101 Dalmatians. Just think how many border collies will end up dumped in shelters in the year following the movie. :mad: :rolleyes:

Hey Laura watch it you got my shoes. Yuk. Cute although gross smiley.

I haven't read his books. I can say however seeing movies with dogs has not made me want that breed of dog. My dog Skip was great! I liked Babe and 101 Dalmations. Kids loved 101 but never asked for a spotted dog. Because of Winn Dixie has Winn Dixie as a Mutt. I was concerned about all the puppies used in the dalmation movies. I think that dalmations did get a boost in population. But they have been shown as fire dogs in just about every book my kids have and on cartoons. With the other movies do we know if the Jack Russell, Border Collie, and mutts ( from pounds) went up any?

I think recently there was a remake of Where the Redfern grows or Old Yeller. Have these movies caused an increase? What about 8 Below?

My first BC was a foundling. She had been tossed in a wooded area. Ironically, yes Babe was out on VHS recently before. Did that make me want her?

No, but it did help me identify the breed, which came in handy when she started herding family and birds.

If this dog in the movie is portrayed as an out of control dog. I'm more inclined to be worried they may get a wrap like Germen Shepherds and Rotts. I don't think we want the BC's to get wraps like that. But I do think we want folks to realize what they were breed for and how this can make them unsuitable for the masses. This is not a sit me on a pillow and let me look pretty for you dog.

This is a get off your butt and let's move dog.

Just my thoughts as a novice on the matter.

Here is a link to a thoughtful, well-written article pertaining to the release of the Disney movie, "Snow Dogs." I realize this movie has been out awhile now, but I thought it was a good example of how humane societies and rescue programs around the country have to go into "battle" mode when dog movies come out.

At the end of the article there is another link to a great editorial on buying puppies from a pet store. I love the suggested use for a pet store pup's AKC papers!

http://www.hillsidespca.com/huskyinfo.htm

>

Yes. Not me, but a knowledgeable person I know exchanged a number of emails with him back in 2001-02, saying just that. It was just as A Dog Year was coming out, and Katz was going all out to create good buzz for the book, which is probably why he was willing to correspond for a while. He basically replied that he was a successful author of 11 books, and that he had sent out galleys galore to (unnamed) owners, breeders, trainers, etc., and all of them liked the book and nobody else criticized it or said he was doing a disservice to the breed. He rejected a suggestion that he delve into the subject more fully by having a lesson or observing a clinic with a real sheepdog trainer.

Now that he's become a recognized border collie expert, I'm sure he'd be even less receptive.

>

Couldn't agree more. Maybe they've changed it a lot.

I only copied the info from our rescue board and didn't comment at the time because I was in a hurry. NEBCR is understandably upset over the movie. We are "standing room only" for BCs now, can't imagine what we will do if this movie causes another rise in BC numbers.

I haven't read A Dog Year, but have read Bedlam Farm. If ADY is like his 2nd book, I can't imagine it being a comedy unless they changed it a lot. The Dogs of Bedlam Farm was more depressing than anything, mostly due to Katz' whiney tone. (Yes, Upstate NY is cold in the winter, get over it!).

'Course the fact that they are advertising it as a comedy, leads me to believe that there will be lots of "cute" antics being pulled by the BCs that will frustrate Bridges....which will make people want one of those "funny" dogs... :mad: I hope I am wrong, though.

From what they stated in the article, I assume they will be filming it at his farm which is in my neck of the woods. Should be an interesting summer. :rolleyes:

Has anyone ever really talked to Jon Katz and told him he is not helping the breed in any way?

His affiliation with AKC indicates that he doesn't really care about working border collies. He is supposedly a border collie "expert" (Bedlam Farm and several NPR interviews made it pretty clear how suspect this title is) -- I find it hard to believe that he doesn't know about the controversy or the (negative) impact he has.

Kim