BC Boards

AK dog doc

nancy

I just have to say that I think the best gift I've received this year is AK dog doc's posting.

She gives me more information in her responses than I can ever get from my vet. Or have gotten from any vet I've used. And I've taken pets to both men and women in at least three states.

She doesn't assume that we can't understand, so gives the full details. Which is what we need. Maybe I am a lowly English major (2 degrees for 6 years of reading and writing in my native language - whee), but I can - and should - figure out what is really going on in medical situations.

And she really cares.

So, dog doc, if you ever want to get warm, trade that AK for NC, preferably RTP, and come on down!

Does RTP stand for something other than Research Triangle Park? :confused:

Guess we get pretty insular here. We tend to consider RTP, and, by extension, the whole Durtham, Raleigh, Chapel Hill "Triangle" as the East Coast version of Silicon Valley - and that everyone knows that.

Maybe I should have said ACC? That's the local religion - especially during basketball season.

Wow! Thanks, you guys! I'm glad I've helped. If I had enough money to travel (my truck cost nearly $4000 this winter :eek: ) I'd sure think about taking you up on the invite. You're making me feel aaaaalll warm and fuzzy, which I can certainly use after this last on-call weekend (almost everything was a hit-by-car, which is very frustrating since it's mostly avoidable, and the last one was a BC, which was just heartbreaking - not entirely to owner's fault, though he should have had a better come-on-recall on the dog).

I didn't know that RTP was Research Triangle Park (though I might've figured it our eventually if I'd thought about it, having had a friend who went to med school at Duke). But I might also have gone, "Hmmm, RTP, what could that be...? Really Tiny Pe- no, THAT can't be right...!" :rolleyes:

Ooops, better get to work here or I'll have that OTHER RTP (Really Tiny Paycheck). Thanks for the kind words and warm fuzzies!

Originally posted by AK dog doc:

not entirely to owner's fault, though he should have had a better come-on-recall on the dog

a thought about that: maybe he had only recently got the dog, so it wasn't completely trained? Of course, then he should have had it on leash... but I don't know about this particular patient or how long he had the dog. :rolleyes:

But anyway, we are really lucky to have a vet on the boards, and I've learned a lot from your posts too. Thanks.

I would LOVE to send you (and Captain Fantastic, as well as other aliases :rolleyes: ) some snow - we have a good three feet down right now (getting tired of shovelling every night in creation, but it makes up for the last 3 years, when we had next to none). Tomorrow, if all goes well - snowshoeing on the lake (which is iced in thick enough to drive an 18-wheeler on by now, I believe).

And thanks again for the feedback - it IS nice to know I've had the chance to make a contribution, as that's why I started the whole trek into vet med in the first place. You guys are so cool to let me know that.

Deafbat, about that BC... you're right that it would make it less sad and frustrating if it was a new dog to that owner. The owner had had him for 6 years, but evidently had solved the dog's tendency to bolt out any open door by locking him in the bathroom while people were going in and out, instead of training the dog not to bolt or to come when called. I understand how that happens - it's a geographical solution to what is really a social/training problem, but it's easy, and if you don't know better, or don't know how to train the dog differently (or try but fail), it seems fine. But someone opened the door unexpectedly when the dog was loose in the house, and he dashed out and was hit within 30 minutes (the man who hit him picked him up and called Animal Control, bless his heart, and An. Ctrl. called us, since our rabies tag was on the collar). The owner had been out driving around looking for the dog, and was genuinely hearbroken about it; and in fairness, HE did not let the dog out, nor was the dog allowed to run loose unsupervised. So really it was an accident, and I wouldn't say I blame the owner so much as I just WISH he'd had a solid recall on that dog. Poor little guy. :D Oh, well... happier cases ahead, hopefully. At least the little attacked-by-owl Yorkie is going well... although they'd better block their doggie door, since Great Horned owls are territorial and now that she knows there's a little doggie buffet in that yard, she's likely to scout around again... :eek:

Research Triangle Park, that's it! I believe it's very famous, Nancy, and IS the Silicon Valley of the East, but my eyesight is poor and at first glance it looked to me like RIP. And of course I know AK dog doc recently placed an Arkansan in NJ by virtue of a similar quick glance . . . :rolleyes:

Coming in late on this thread - but I sincerely echo what the others have said. I'm lucky in having vets who are all willing to talk things out (men too), and don't mind when I raise things I've seen on the Net, but I really appreciate the way you take the time to deal with our queries AK Dog Doc. And I love the Finn stories too.

Wow, thanks, you guys! You are just the best. You are my extended internet circle of pals (in some cases REALLY extended, since it's kind of an international group.) I'm glad I'm not boring you with Finn stories - I think my family gets tired of them after a mere 3 or 4 hours - but none of them have BCs, so they must be pardoned for this failing. :rolleyes:

I'm always glad to be of service... it appears to be my purpose. I learned this from a 12-year-old boy; he asked me what was the best thing about mt job. I opened my mouth to give my stock reply, when unexpectedly someone hijacked my lips and out came: "Every day when I go home the world is a better place that it was when I got up, BECAUSE I got up." I almost looked over my shoulder to see who said that (since I had intended to say something else entirely), but in fact, that's a true statement - that IS what I love most about my job. So you guys provide me the opportunity for that, and thanks!

Merry Christmas, everyone!