BC Boards

Question about hips

ScoutsMomma

Well we're trying to make enough money so we can take her to get her checked we were going to breed her this month but she's already come into heat and we can't find any males in California, shes been stepped on by the horses once on her front right paw but thats all,atleast thats what i know about,she can get rough with the horses though

What about the AKC?

Well, in general I don't believe border collies should be registered with the AKC, but in your case it sounds as if it's probably the right registry.

If you think there's something wrong with Scout's hind end, and you can't afford to take her to a vet to find out what it is, seems to me breeding her would be a very bad idea. Suppose it's a genetic disorder that would be passed on to her pups? Suppose she would have a difficult whelping and require veterinary assistance?

If you don't know of any stud dogs in California, I'm guessing you haven't been involved with the border collie breed for very long, right? How did you happen to get one? Don't you think you should wait to learn a little more about them before deciding whether your bitch should be bred?

We're just getting into the Border Collie breed. We're pretty sure Scout,my BC, doesn't have any genetic problems because her sire is a champion and her dam has had many litters and none of her puppys had problems. Although we will be taking her to the vet very soon to get her rabies shot and her breeding check.

I'm curious too. If you're having to work to get the money together to take her to the vet for a health check and rabies shot then how on earth do you expect to have the funds to raise a litter of puppies? Normally I would say that your financial status is not of consequence (or certainly not anyone's business), really, but since you are using it as an excuse for not having taken Scout to the vet, I have to wonder what makes you think you can afford to raise a litter of puppies? It seems to me that consideration would come before any consideration about why Scout is worth breeding. But then I'm still not convinced that this conversation is "for real" and not just someone trying to provoke board members....

And as an aside, as far as I know California is full of border collies, so the fact that you "can't find a stud" is a big red flag.

J.

Please,

This person is no more representative of an "AKC" breeder than she is of an "ABCA" breeder.

I think we have established that there are puppy mills on both sides of this fence, so let's not go there again.

BTW, I, too, have no idea who this person is or what the agenda is. If she is for real, I vigourously recommend that she NOT breed her bitch.

Bonnie

oh no no no! We have the money, I would NEVER breed my girl if I knew I couldn't take care of them, we have a lot of friends that breed herding dogs a few that breed Border Collies we're not going to do this alone we're going to get someone who really knows what they're doing to help us :rolleyes: But of course if the vet says I shouldn't breed her then we definatly won't I would never put my girl at risk never never.

INU, please don't worry. I think she'll do great. (Finn has several dog-shaped angels he has dispatched to help out. He swears. I believe they are the same angels that kept me from murdering him that one week when he shredded two paperbacks, 5 socks and some freshly-spun yarn, which feats he followed up by urinating on my boyfriend's leg and my neighbor's Aussie bitch...)

people.... focus on just what scouts mama has said..

1. dog is hurt, yet they haven't gone to the vet

2. akc registration

3. they are just getting into the bc breed, yet want to breed in ignorance of the breed

4. THey have a lot of "friends" who breed herding dogs and even a few who breed bcs yet don't know of any studs in californianor how to find them so they ask on the internet

5. they want to breed her and see what she throws , yet don't have a clue what a bc is supposed to be for, nor acknowledge any problem with over production of inferior and sub standard bred dogs filling shelters and rescues etc etc etc...

Honestly why do you all keep responding? the person is coming off as extremely trollish to present so many conflicting posts ; don't have money, have money, dog is hurt, dog isn't too hurt, don't herd, doesn't know anything about bcs, has friends who know all about bcs...

I can understand why you are all trying to educate and stop a back yard breeder and I applaud your efforts but this really seems kinda fake and designed to get a rise... if it is real then good on you if not well best intentions and all.

sara

1. You people have no clue what a troll is.

2. I'm not a backyard breeder

3. This is the first time I've ever breed a dog(If you have a problem with it please keep your comments to yourself)

4.If we get her breed we'll have a vet come out with us.

5. WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG WITH AKC!?!?!?!?

Originally posted by ScoutsMomma:

1. You people have no clue what a troll is.

A troll is someone who posts inflammatory remarks or announces plans to do something that is widely viewed as unethical by the majority of posters on an internet site, and then tells other people not to express an opinion on that action/post (see your point #3) or argues with them about it.

2. I'm not a backyard breeder
Backyard breeders typically have no clue what they are doing, don't breed for any purposes other than selfish ones, and depend on their veterinarians for opinions on the breeding quality of the dog (see your point #4) instead of genetic testing (which they don't understand) and experience with the breed (see your point #3) as well as involvement with the breed's community.

3. This is the first time I've ever breed a dog(If you have a problem with it please keep your comments to yourself)
When you announce that you are going to breed your dog to "to see what kind of puppies she throws" on a site filled with working dog owners and people dedicated to the current and future welfare of the border collie breed, you are ASKING for opinions. Or you're trolling (see your point #1, and my response). When you ask for opinions like that, you are going to get them. You can't tell people to keep their opinions to themselves, because that's trolling (again, point #1).

4.If we get her breed we'll have a vet come out with us.
See my response to your point #2.

5. WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG WITH AKC!?!?!?!?
There is this amazing piece of technology called "google." You will find it here. Asuming you can type and read and comprehend, google will take you to places where you can read about what the AKC is doing to the border collie and why it is not an organization that has the breed's best interests in mind. Happy googling!

RDM