BC Boards

Shampoo Favorites

Having had one dog who was prone to a bad reaction to shampoos, I have always erred on the side of caution and gone for an oatmeal shampoo, generally Dermcare Aloveen.

Poor Oscar went to the groomer once and came out in hives and scabs all over his back. Poor thing was miserable for about a week.  Not something I am prepared to put another dog through.

12 hours ago, Lawgirl said:

Having had one dog who was prone to a bad reaction to shampoos, I have always erred on the side of caution and gone for an oatmeal shampoo, generally Dermcare Aloveen.

Poor Oscar went to the groomer once and came out in hives and scabs all over his back. Poor thing was miserable for about a week.  Not something I am prepared to put another dog through.

Luckily, I shampoo my dogs infrequently. Usually only a spot shampoo over a dirty area - such as when they roll in poo.

If there are no chronic problems to address (itchy skin, etc), I would look for a dog shampoo that uses primarily natural ingredients. I have one from a local person who makes and sells goat milk soap. She makes it for her own dog.

I swear by Double K brand "Ultimate All Natural". It does the job well, and can be diluted as much as 32 to one although I usually only dilute it only 4 or 8 to one.  The bottle lasts a very long time, so it's more economical by far than cheap shampoos. I have used it on all the dogs that have been in my home for years. You can get it a lot of places online.

https://groomersmart.com/product/double-k-ultimate/

7 hours ago, D'Elle said:

I swear by Double K brand "Ultimate All Natural". It does the job well, and can be diluted as much as 32 to one although I usually only dilute it only 4 or 8 to one.  The bottle lasts a very long time, so it's more economical by far than cheap shampoos. I have used it on all the dogs that have been in my home for years. You can get it a lot of places online.

https://groomersmart.com/product/double-k-ultimate/

I have used Ultimate All Natural in the past.  I just don't care for the smell of it.  Of course, everyone's nose is different.  It does a nice job, but that fragrance really bothers me.