BC Boards

Gibbs and a funny thing

I've had Gibbs for almost 9 years now ~ got him from folks I met on these boards as a re-home. I re-named after a character on one of my favorite tv shows, NCIS.

A few people here and there have remarked on the name, asking if it's because of NCIS and Leroy Jethro Gibbs, (that's the character's full name). Gibbs is at the vet today, getting a couple teeth pulled and a dental cleaning, poor boy.  Vet's office calls me yesterday for my reminder, the receptionist says, 'Is Leroy Jethro ready for his appointment tomorrow?' 

It took me a second, because he's always called Gibbs, by everyone. It's the FIRST TIME EVER somebody has used his 'first names'. Cracked me up. My laughing made the receptionist laugh as well.  We had a nice moment, there.

I'll pick Leroy up around 4:30 this afternoon and get back to you with his progress.

Ruth & L. J. Gibbs

Cute.

My dogs have always had several nicknames as well as their 'given' names. They've always known exactly who's being spoken to and responded to each one of them. My ex and I counted once and our first dog had 17 different names. He knew every single one of them and never missed a beat no matter which one we called him. And he wasn't even part border collie. :lol:

About 15 years ago my dogs started having first and middle names. A 6 year old girl asked me, very seriously, if Tilly had a middle name. When I said no and asked her first if she thought she should and then if she'd like to give her one, she immediately blurted out "Pickle!" Tilly was ever after Tilly Pickle. When I had an identical conversation (it was uncanny just how similar they were) with another 6 year old girl a number of years later, Bodhi became Bodhi James. I never called either one of them their full names often, but every once in a while when I had particular reason to get their attention I'd automatically use them just like mothers do when their kids need to listen up. Neither one of the middle names were something I'd have come up with, but both worked. And both stuck.

Our old mixed breed's full name on vet records was Charles Kirby Walter, but he was always called Puppy until he died at 16.  (CKW was also the name on his ordination certificate as a minister, but that is another story.)  I remember having a conversation with a similar age girl who thought the name Puppy couldn't possibly be right!  She was NOT satisfied until I told her his real name was Charles Kirby Walter.

Great stories! I do like Tilly Pickle, will have to tuck that one away for possible future dogs.

My oldest niece, now in her 40s with kids of her own, used 'puppy' as a versatile title for just about everyone in the family at one point. She was taking a nap, age 3 or so, sleeping peacefully on the couch next to me while I read. She opened her eyes at one point, saw me and said, 'PUPPY!" and went right back to sleep. I love that memory.

Ruth & Gibbs

I like these stories. When I think about it, it seems as though I have had one dog with a whole lot of nicknames and one with only one or two. My previous border collies were a male and a female, and while the male did have a middle name (his full name was Jester Joe, because his wonderful foster mom, who was kind enough to let me adopt him, had called him Joe and I wanted to keep the name but couldn't use that name at the time), he didn't end up having any nicknames that I actually ever used except Jes. The female on the other hand had probably a dozen nicknames or more, each one sillier and  more foofy than the last and she answered to all of them. The list just kept growing.....it started with this, which led to that...you know that story.

The same thing has happened with the two dogs I have now. One has a long list of silly affectionate and foofy nicknames, the other doesn't. Don't know why. :-)

I'm an NCIS fan!  My 10 year old female Border Collie is named Ziva.  Rarely does anyone ever get it.  Usually, I'm stuck spelling her name several times and people end up calling her Diva, Zeba, Viva.  Where I work we have a Springer Spaniel who comes in regularly for nail clips and his name is Gibbs.  I call him Leroy Jethro Gibbs.  His owner loves it but my co workers are confused!

• 1 month later...

Kip (our dear old man BC, who crossed over in April) came with the name when we got him from the dog warden.  Of course, he had not been at the pound long, so did not really know it, but we saw no reason to change it.  Our other pets all have literary names, so we playfully made his "full" name Rudyard Kipling Dog.  (All the dogs have the same surname...Dog.)  Husband started calling him Kippersnacks as a pet name.  Daughter ramped that up to Snack-aroni and Cheese.  They were always spoken in love and I don't think he held it against us ever.  The new pup is Walt...and that is what will go on his registration.  But, when he's in trouble, my daughter calls him by his "full" name...Walter Whitman Dog.

Kip.JPG

Walt.JPG

powerfulgazelle when you said Kip was Rudyard Kipling Dog, and then said your puppy was Walt, my mind immediately jumped to Walter Whitman Dog as his full name - the literary connection perhaps?  I love it by the way, great name and a gorgeous puppy (which I think I mentioned on another thread).  Feel free to post as many photos of him as you would like:P

urge to herd Do we assume that L. J. Gibbs came through his dental procedure okay?  I hope so

The pets at our place tend to have literary/historical figure names, yes.  Our dear, departed Orlando was named for the Virginia Woolf story (a stray parvo+ pup who walked in front of our car when we were on our way home from the movie, who was our dog before Kip and Sollers joined us)...  The best cat ever was our last cat, Bloomberg (after the cat in the Salinger stories).  Current cat is Bruce (Robert the Bruce...he is tall and ginger).

Walt 061020.JPG

1 hour ago, Lawgirl said:

urge to herd Do we assume that L. J. Gibbs came through his dental procedure okay?  I hope so

He was a wee bit loopy from the anesthesia. Got him home, he drank some water, fed him a light repast a couple hours after that. The next a.m he was rarin' to go on the morning constitutional. They took out three teeth altogether, so he got to eat kibble soaked in chicken broth for a couple days.

Fit as fiddle! Thanks for asking, I totally forgot about the whole dental thing!

Ruth & Gibbs