BC Boards

Mystery Illness

kingfisher7151

I'm thinking the raw vs. kibble question is going to come to a dead end, so if you don't mind, I'm not going to respond on that topic.

He still has diarrhea, but we only had one accident today! Woo hoo! He came remarkably well potty trained for having been outside all his life, but he doesn't know how to tell us he has to go in any other way beside sprinting to the door. And when you have the runs, when you have to go you have to GO. But we seem to be making headway in that area!

We had the bloody nose scare, but once we calmed down we decided to continue with the Pred. We haven't had anything else nerve-wracking. In fact, today he has been AMAZING. He hasn't gone to his "place" once today. Now, we know that the Prednisone is going to perk him up regardless of what his actual condition is. So we aren't going to start getting our hopes up for another few days.

But regardless, I have never seen so much joy in this dog's eyes. He has been eager to play and interact all day. It's hard to keep him still! I was down feeding the horses and while I was filling water buckets I turned around to find him RIGHT behind me hoping to play the "catch the water" game. Then as we were heading back up, he was just fidgeting around on leash and I couldn't figure out why. But then I realized that he was trying to get in front of me to play the "catch the snow" game! It's SO nice to have a happy dog in the house! It's just hard to get your hopes up, we know he's not fixed yet.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For dogs, raw is regular food.

There are many raw advocates who question the logic of feeding sick food (aka kibble) to a sick dog. It would be the human equivalent of giving someone who's sick a diet of Kraft macaroni and cheese, Kentucky Fried Chicken, and French fries to someone who's sick.

Incorrect analogy, kibble is a nutritionally balanced diet unlike the human foods you used in your analogy. I am not against feeding raw.

We have a diagnosis!!!!

He has.....Immune-Mediated Polyarthritis!! I never thought I'd be so excited about an auto immune disease!

After 5 days on Prednisone he is absolutely a different dog. He saw the vet again today and has NO fever. We can't be completely positive of the diagnosis, but everyone agrees that he completely fits the bill. And the fact that all of his symptoms have gone away since getting on the Prednisone is very telling. And we have normal poop!

We'll pull his tooth once he's in a little better shape. We're just rejoicing for now!!!

I completely understand about being grateful for a name you can point at rather than a continual unknown, and I bet there are many here who know exactly how that feels. At least now you have an idea what treatment will look like and ideas for going ahead into the future. Hopefully, you'll be able to get a good handle on this quickly and episodes in the future will be few and far between.

Yes, I understand your relief in having a diagnosis. It gives you something definitive to understand and work with, something to get your head around rather than floundering blindly having no idea what to do.

Sounds like there's still some challenges ahead, but at least now you know what you're working with.

Continues best wishes.