BC Boards

Introducing a new adult dog from rescue to a home with a senior dog - best way

We have a 13-1/2 year old Border collie who is almost completely deaf. We rescued him and his littermate three years ago. Nora died at 12 from kidney failure. They had been raised together. We were too stressed to get a new dog then, but now we are looking. We're interested in a rescue dog, probably 8-10 years old. Jesse and Nora were our first dogs, and we fell in love with tnem, and learned everything we could about BCs. We're retired and have lots of time, but won't get a young dog, because we live in suburban Seattle, and are limited to neighborhood walks, time in our fenced yard, and some off leash time at the farm where they used to live. Our dogs live in the house.

What is the best way to introduce a new dog? Would a female be better? We don't want to hurt Jesse's feelings and make him feel unloved. Maybe it's not fair to get anoher dog, though we'd love to,

We're looking at an 8-10 year old girl (have not contacted the rescue yet) who is about a three hour drive away, so it's not like we could gradually introduce them.

Any suggestions or thoughts woudl be appreciated!

We love these dogs!

Thank you!

Marlene

Dear Ms. Marlene,

Beyond a certain age - and 13 1/2 may be a "certain age" - my Border Collies won't accept a new dog. That doesn't mean they fight (unless the new dog chooses the old dog's special place) but a happy twosome doesn't seem likely. Deafness often means weirdness/strange body language to the non-deaf dog and that also can lead to squabbles.

I applaud your desire to rescue an older dog. Good idea. I'd suggest you wait until your present dog passes.

Donald McCaig

Obviously I don't know your dog but in principle I would agree with Donald on all points.

Enjoy every minute you still have with your dog now. I wish I had been able to have more 1-1 time with my old dog that died a year ago at 14. He was deaf too and I wouldn't have put the stress of a new dog on him.

I have another that will be 14 this year that is also hard of hearing and from being more than capable of standing up for herself she is now feeling more vulnerable. I really "need" another dog now but I have to think of her.

Depends on the dog, I brought home Brody when he was 3 1/2 and my old lady GSDx was 13. I had been looking for a 7/8 year old but to cut the story short we ended up with Brody. Jester had been very miserable after Bandit died and we had planned on waiting but every time she saw another dog, she would chase after it as much as her 13 year legs would allow so she could play. Jesters response when he came home was just what it had been when we bought our first border collie home 10 years earlier, she showed him teeth when he came near me and as long as she did not see him near me all was ok. We had Jester for another 2 1/2 years and credit Brody with keeping up her fitness, basically it seemed to be if he can do it so can I. They were never friends but she was happier with him than before. We made some accommodations so he would not bug her but it did work out well.

If you do choose to introduce a new dog, try doing it on "neutral" territory - not in the house, not in the yard. Maybe at someone else's house. Maybe on a dog walk. Maybe in a park. See how they do somewhere where the old dog has nothing to "guard" or even to "share".

Our Aussie was varying ages when we brought new pups in - about 10 and about 13. Of course, new pups came in with a certain level of "puppy license" which will be different from your situation. They adapted very well but our old dog was also a very confident (up until he died at age 15) and self-assured dog who did not worry about other dogs.

Also as pointed out, managing to make this work for both dogs can be essential. That could involve a certain degree of separation, monitoring, or just plain being thoughtful on how you all interact.

Some dogs (as pointed out above) get *a new leash on life* (spelling "mistake" intentional :) ) when they gain a friend and companion. Other dogs are quite content with the status quo and would prefer no changes. Do you have a way, perhaps, to "borrow" someone's dog to see how your dog does with an introduction and maybe another dog in the house or on a sleepover, just to gauge how he might respond? If you do, try to borrow a dog that is somewhat similar to the type of dog you are looking into adopting - male vs female, type of breed (there's a huge difference between the way some dogs perceive an upright, flat-faced, staring type dog like a Boxer and maybe an in-your-face-friendly dog like a Lab or Golden), etc.

Very best wishes making a decision, and kudos to you for not only adopting but also adopting older dogs - that's marvelous!

I disagree with the absolute "don't do it" responses.

It depends very much on your current dog. My ~16 y.o. loves other dogs. She was 14 1/2 when I adopted the third dog in our home, who was 6 months old, and she thought it was the best thing ever. She loves it when I bring a dog in to board. She still plays with all the other dogs in the house, though it's very brief now.

If you dog enjoys the company of other dogs, then by all means go ahead and adopt. Have you had visiting dogs in your home? If so, how does he react? If not, could you do that to see?

If you can, take Jesse along when you go to meet the other dog and introduce them there (many rescues will require this), preferably outside the house first, or better yet, on neutral territory. Maybe you and the fosterer can take them on a walk together, after you've met the dog and have decided you'd like her to join your family.

If they seem compatible, keep them separated on the way home. The new dog at least should be in a crate for safety, anyway, and this will give them an opportunity to get used to each others' presence while not allowing them to really interact.

When you get them home, keep them separated for a couple days, giving them time to acclimate to each others' presence in the house. You can take them for walks together and let them get to know each other under controlled circumstances.

NEBCR has an excellent section on introducing new dogs on their "Bringing Home Your Newly Adopted Rescue Border Collie" page: http://nebcr.org/Bringing_Home_Border_Collie.htm#top

Best wishes for finding a new companion to join your family.

ETA: And, yes, kudos to you for adopting a senior dog!

A question for all of you out there that work at and volunteer for rescues: Do rescues ever allow a potential adopter to "foster" a potential adoptee dog for a few weeks/months before making the adoption final? I wonder if a "test period" (after all of the proper introductions and you've been given great advice on that) would be the most fair approach to all involved? Or would that be unfairly stressful to the new dog? Just a thought...

Yes. Some do. It's often referred to either as "foster to adopt" or just an agreed upon trial period. It makes a lot of sense if there are specific expectations for a dog or a possibility that one may not get along with the resident dog (or vise versa).

ETA: Most rescues -- at least the good ones -- are also always willing to take a dog back if for whatever reason it doesn't work out.

Obviously this isn't something they want to be doing on a regular basis or just because someone changes their mind -- which is why they go out of their ways to make good matches in the first place -- but a good rescue considers itself responsible for the dog for life.

I have dogs ranging in age from 9 months to nearly 17 years (with several in the 12+ range). Obviously the oldest has had lots of new dogs come into her life. For me, the main thing is making sure that any new dog doesn't harass her, bowl her over playing, or otherwise make life uncomfortable for her. I have to say that at times the biggest spark I see from my old girl is when she tries to be the "fun police" for the younger dogs. For example, Pip loves the jolly ball, as do some of the others. Sometimes Willow will decide that the jolly ball is hers and will try to make Pip give it up. Tug ensues. At that point I usually step in and ask Pip to let go so Willow can win. Pip doesn't mind and it makes Willow very happy.

If your oldster is used to having a companion and he and the new dog are compatible, it can make the golden years for both of them that much happier.

So count me in for those who say that it can work. (Also, my oldest and the 15 year old are both pretty deaf; the 14 year old is well on her way in that department too, and it doesn't really seem to affect their interactions with the rest of the pack. They just can't hear me when I call them.)

And I also want to say bless you for caring for the older ones. As on owner of older ones, it makes my heart glad to know there are people out there who are willing to open their hearts and homes to old dogs in need.

J.

I agree with Gentle Lake -- i.e. I disagree with the rigid "don't do it" response.

I have occasionally fostered for the last 3 years, and my 'old' dog is now 17 1/2. (So she was about 14 or so when I started fostering.) Most fosters have been 1 year old or up, but I did have a 5-6 month old foster one time for 3 weeks. Ritz was fine with the older dogs. She did NOT like that puppy (which was my fave :) ) because the puppy didn't understand about giving Ritz her space and would occasionally bump into her while cavorting around.

You know your dog and if you protect him and his space while the new dog adjusts to his new home, I don't see why it can't work (assuming there are no major issues). [The advice posted in the previous replies is more complete.]

You can certainly foster and/or adopt on a temporary basis to see how the dogs will interact. Our rescue group generally allows 2 weeks for an adoptive family to make a final decision once the dog is in their house, and certain situations are given a longer period of time. If they wish to return the dog within that time period, their adoption fee is refunded. And of course, if the dog doesn't work out, say 6 or 12 months later, we also take our rescue dogs back, but at that late date, the adopter does not get the adoption fee refunded.

Two older dogs are going to be a bit more set in their way. But they also have probably been around more dogs too. With any luck socialized. Having brought in numerous dogs in all the years. from fosters to my own....I have found that most of it went off without a hitch. The ones that did not...no matter what...nothing would change their minds. It is just deep down mutual dislike.

But I have also found that I become much more anxious if a younger dog gives the older one a hard time. Even just bumping into them. So I find myself managing my efforts differently to protect the older one.

Who has said an absolute "Don't do it?"

Donald merely suggested that Marlene wait until her current dog has gone. I agreed in principle with what he said with the caveat that I don't know her dog.

Nowhere does she say that her current dog is showing any signs of needing canine company and he has had 18 months of being an only dog. Many dogs of any age given the choice of a 1-1 relationship with their human or another dog around would choose the former.

It has to be asked "Who would a new dog be for?" and Marlene questions whether it would be fair to get another though she and her OH "would love to".

Of course it can be made to work but there are inherent risks associated with having a resident elderly dog whose senses are failing and likely to get worse. Any new dog requires attention which might be better spent providing stimulation for the old dog to keep his faculties working.

It depends on the dogs involved as far as how introducing a new dog will work out. I think fostering or doing a trial run is a good approach. I cherish my old dogs, but I don't think I would want to have only one dog, especially one who can't do as much with me due to age/health issues. As long as the old dog isn't unhappy having a new member of the pack, I think my thoughts on the subject should count too. I don't believe time spent with the new dog has to be taken from time spent with the old dog. The OP describes a retired couple with lots of free time. If I was in that situation, unless I knew my old dog would be upset by an addition to the household, I would definitely explore my options of adding a second dog.

Again, it really depends on the combination of people and dogs.

I'm in the 'Do some experimentation' camp. Invite a friend with a good natured dog over to take a walk. Then ask them to come inside and visit for a while. See how your senior does. Do it a couple times, maybe. Maybe invite them to stay for a few days.

When we got down to 1 border collie, my husband said he wanted another dog. Quite frankly, I was looking forward to having only one pet after many years of multiple critters. However, we went with it.

Shoshone didn't care for Gibbs at first. Whether she was scared of him or offended we'll never know. BUT, about 6 weeks after we brought Gibbs home, Shonie decided that going on more walks and getting a few more treats was pretty cool. I decided that we hadn't gotten one new dog, we'd gotten two!

It helped enormously that Gibbs was and is a perfect gentleman. And when we had to put Shonie to sleep, I was very grateful that we had a 'back-up dog.'

So look into it a bit more, however makes sense for you.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

I've never had trouble introducing a new dog into the house. A little thought and preparation are definitely in order, but the most important thing to consider is the current dog's personality. Does it like to meet new dogs? Is it territorial? Is it fragile and afraid of being hurt? If you are thinking ahead and planning for eventualities, you'll find what works for your situation.

Another thought, we had an old gentleman who was 15 stay with us this summer to recuperate from being attacked by two bitches in his house, I was fascinated how my 4 year old treated him, basically with deference, he treated him very differently to young foster dogs we have had, the old man still had some puppy in him and wanted to play and chase balls and Rievaulx was very gentle. Like others have said, see if you can have a test run.

I've seen several older dogs who got a new lease on life when another dog was brought into the home. Just because a dog's older doesn't mean it wouldn't welcome another dog.

If Marlene and her family would like another dog, as long as Jesse's amenable, I see no reason to discourage them.

For my own part, I can understand not wanting to have only one dog when it's getting up in years. It's much easier, imo, to have another dog in the home already when the old one's time is up.

So, again, as long as Jesse doesn't object, I say go for it.

Thank you to everyone who responded. I really appreciate your thoughtful comments, and they really helped us decide. Mr. McCaig, I'm honored that you replied - we have your books.

We are not going to get another dog while Jesse is with us. One comment "who is the new dog for" made me realize that a new dog is really for us, not Jesse. He is a dear sweet dog, and had some very lonely years with only his sister and no people to live with, and he should get all our attention.

I know there will always be old dogs who need good homes, and we will get our next dogs through a rescue group.

Here's our Jesse. Nora was a more traditional looking black and white Border Collie, but very camera shy.

post-13634-0-24264900-1392067538_thumb.jpost-13634-0-79866500-1392067623_thumb.jpost-13634-0-67543300-1392067705_thumb.j

post-13634-0-24264900-1392067538_thumb.jpg

post-13634-0-79866500-1392067623_thumb.jpg

post-13634-0-67543300-1392067705_thumb.jpg