BC Boards

Do BC's sleep?

Mine gets exercise 3 to 4 times a day, but he also naps. I catch him frequently completely conked out. He's so cute when he sleeps! Lol, he also sleeps upside down on the couch with his dad at night and gets a good nights rest in the guest room, sleeping all thru the night. He's about 5 years old now.

Mine come to my office with me every day. You'd better BELIEVE they sleep - otherwise I'd be too distracted.

If I'm meeting with visitors, or have a meeting with any/all my students, they're told to "go to their beds". Even the six-month-old puppy knows he's supposed to stay on his bed quietly. They both usually sleep through the 1-2 hour meetings. They'll wake up in time to greet the new arrival, then they're supposed to return to their beds. They usually nap. Research is too dull a topic to interest them.

If we are not paying attention to them, my 2 are napping, but they are always ready to go at the very first sign of movement. They even know the sound of my mouse turning off and will wake out of a dead sleep as soon as I flip the switch.

I work from home also. If I'm working, they're sleeping with the occasional bone chewing or changing sleeping spots. They know when I'm done and they're ready to roll. My young one follows me around when I change working spots but that's cause she likes sleeping right next to me. Waiting for the time I'm finished.

Plus they sleep all night but we do get up early.

Ours have a post breakfast nap, mid-day nap, early afternoon nap, pre-dinner snooze (although I ; think they are usually pretending to sleep at this one) and the post dinner nap. Plus they sleep at least 8 hours at night and then there are the car ride slumbers. However, in between time is on the move, I think they have learned that they better take advantage of snoozing when they can to build up energy for the next task.

Ok I have come to the conclusion that I have the only BC that never sleeps! I'm thinking from the posts that part of the reason is because I myself never sit still so he follows me and has to keep an eye on me all the time. I sometimes make him nap or give him a :30 time out especially when we have just gotten back from a 6 mile run. I know he has got to be tired but needs to be taught to settle down!

I also have a BC that doesn't sleep a lot during the day. He has a great off switch and has been highly reinforced for calm behavior, so he's completely calm in the house. But not sleeping. To get him to actually nap, sometimes I have to stick him in his crate, on the porch, to keep him sequestered from anything that might possibly disturb his very light slumber. If he doesn't get his naps, he gets over stimulated and on edge. And he's much more likely to be reactive. He'll still be acting calm, but his eyes will have a certain wild look about them. Then I'll know it's time to put him in his crate for a nap.

Leslie