BC Boards

Last night's excitement

I frequently take the dogs along to school with me. They like riding along and just chill in their crates while I'm in class. The college campus has several nice shade trees so they do just fine in the car with the windows all down a few inches. If it's too hot I leave them home of course. But by taking them along they're happy and they think they've done something.

I've been doing this for 3 years and people don't even know they're in the car 99% of the time. It has worked out great.

Enter last night. I walk out after class and 3 police cars as well as campus security are surrounding my car. About six people. Oh my. I was pretty sure what was up.

The campus is pretty dead on summer evening and my car was parked away from the buildings (because it was in the shade....) one of the older security guards checked it out, saw the dogs and things mushroomed from there I imagine.

So I went over, introduced myself, showed them all that my dogs were indeed fine (and were not even interested in fresh water when offered) etc. Had a chat with the officer in charge (K9 handler) and he said things looked good to him and that I seemed to know what I was doing. Pointed out that I did search and rescue and that my dogs travel along with me A LOT. And that I had way. too. much. invested in them on so many levels that I wouldn't put them at any sort of unnecessary risk.

He said he would run the whole situation past animal control and get back with me in a few days. That makes me slightly nervous but oh well. I know what I'm doing and have documentation, etc to prove it. And the cop seemed quite understanding/easy to talk to, but still...

Let's hope it all works out well for you. The problem with laws is that they are enacted to help avoid problems for the lowest common denominator, and don't often take into account those who really know what they are doing and doing it responsibly.

The good thing is that people were concerned and did something about a situation that they thought was a hazard to your dogs, and that is a plus in our world where people often just look the other way and don't get involved.

Remember, there have even been cases (I can recall a couple in the UK) where even a K-9 handler left dogs to die in a hot car. I think one did that twice. Better the security and police cared enough to be safe than sorry.

Oh my... I know with our sar team, the dogs stayed in the car quite a bit. We'd usually leave the ac running on hot days, or use camp fans next to their crates on nice days (the battery operated kind). I'm fairly sure my dog thought the car was his home.

It's unsettling he'd run it by animal control. I feel like that usually results in a warning or on their "bad" list, but I have no proof for that just incidental story of my friend's dogs in her unfenced yard here. Are you connected with any police departments in the area that can call him up and put in a word on your behalf (some sar teams are, some aren't). Maybe call animal control and present your credentials? We had short call teams, so on some days, you couldn't be more than an hour from you dog in the area - was something like that going on?

I agree with Sue, I'm glad they checked it out, but it does present quite a bother for you to untangle. Have you thought of the sar dog on board sign? Not that it helps to advertise a well trained dog, but it might prevent confusion... When I was in undergrad (before my guy retired), I talked with campus security and let them know that I will have my dog on occasion, he is fine, here's my credentials... Maybe something like that would help...

Rebecca

A dog who was being trained by "an expert" died recently because the trainer left the dog in a car for several hours. I wish some passer-by had call the police for that poor dog. That's why people do call.

It sounds like you really do know what you are doing and are really keeping the dogs safe. Could you, perhaps, hang a thermometer with big numbers from the rear-view mirror when you are gone? That way, folks could see that the inside temperature is a safe one.

Your suggestion of a thermometer with big numbers is a good idea.

.....it got me thinking that it would be neat if there was some type of alarm system to warn of temperatures getting too high (or even too low during winter months) so I did a search online and lo and behold I quickly found 2 devices made for such alerts. (maybe there are even more devices out there)

(I'm not sure if the first one also warns of too low of a temperature like the second one does)

Here are the links with a quote from each of the pages -

A new high-tech collar aims to help prevent dogs dying in hot cars. The “Dog Caller” collar sends the owner an SMS if the dog’s temperature exceeds a safe level.

http://www.gizmag.com/dog-caller-collar/23746/

AnimAlarm will alert you via text message to high and low temperatures that might affect the well being of your dog on the move.

http://www.theanimalarm.com/

.......has anyone on the forum tried any such device and can comment as to it's dependability ?

(obviously you would need to make sure it had fresh batteries as needed)

A dog who was being trained by "an expert" died recently because the trainer left the dog in a car for several hours. I wish some passer-by had call the police for that poor dog. That's why people do call.

It sounds like you really do know what you are doing and are really keeping the dogs safe. Could you, perhaps, hang a thermometer with big numbers from the rear-view mirror when you are gone? That way, folks could see that the inside temperature is a safe one.

I can't imagine what AC could do now, days after the fact. If you were breaking any laws or the dogs were in danger, the police would have done something about it right there (broke a window, issued a ticket, ect).

Unless your dogs are not current on their license, then AC really can't do anything. My town ACO won't even go check on dogs that are tied to trees in 95 degree heat when no one can see if the dog has water or not. He just says "Oh I know ____, he would never do anything to harm his dogs." As if tying a dog to a tree 24/7 every day of the year is not doing any harm. :wacko:

Anyways, if I were you, I wouldn't worry. You sound competent and were clearly not putting your dogs in danger. Though, it is nice to see something cared enough to call. The other day it was 90 here and I saw a truck with the windows up all the way, parked in the sun with a Pit Bull sitting in it. I walked over and ... the truck was running, obviously with the air conditioning on. :)

.....it got me thinking that it would be neat if there was some type of alarm system to warn of temperatures getting too high (or even too low during winter months) so I did a search online and lo and behold I quickly found 2 devices made for such alerts. (maybe there are even more devices out there)

A new high-tech collar aims to help prevent dogs dying in hot cars. The Dog Caller collar sends the owner an SMS if the dogs temperature exceeds a safe level.

AnimAlarm will alert you via text message to high and low temperatures that might affect the well being of your dog on the move.

.......has anyone on the forum tried any such device and can comment as to it's dependability ?

Oh, great idea! I've heard of one of the police departments here (I think Kirkwood, but I might be wrong) using a system that monitors the temp inside the car (not the dog directly). I believe a pager goes off if it's too hot - I *think* it uses some sort of radio bandwidth but it might be sms. I'd be a little cautious with sms text - when my dog was in the car, I was rarely in a place with cell service. Even in class, text sometimes doesn't get through the buildings (don't ask how I know). I think the in-car system ran off car battery, but I'm not sure. It's a great idea, though! I've heard of some sort of camera monitoring system, but I know nothing about it. Anyone else?

Just a word of caution, even though it might be slight, there is a chance a car's engine could cut off and then there would be no air conditioning and the windows would be up.

I hope that alarm system I saw online works as good as it is supposed to as it could really be a help to alert owners just in case.

I can't imagine what AC could do now, days after the fact. If you were breaking any laws or the dogs were in danger, the police would have done something about it right there (broke a window, issued a ticket, ect).

Unless your dogs are not current on their license, then AC really can't do anything. My town ACO won't even go check on dogs that are tied to trees in 95 degree heat when no one can see if the dog has water or not. He just says "Oh I know ____, he would never do anything to harm his dogs." As if tying a dog to a tree 24/7 every day of the year is not doing any harm. :wacko:

Anyways, if I were you, I wouldn't worry. You sound competent and were clearly not putting your dogs in danger. Though, it is nice to see something cared enough to call. The other day it was 90 here and I saw a truck with the windows up all the way, parked in the sun with a Pit Bull sitting in it. I walked over and ... the truck was running, obviously with the air conditioning on. :)

then I guess it would be good if there was a secondary system in addition to the sms, where it would make your horn honk and lights flash like a security system, but be triggered by temperature instead of movement.

As far as video monitoring, I use the VSee web conference software (free for personal use) and I can help keep an eye on my dog at home even when I'm at work, I have a camera in the room our dog is usually in during the day, and I also have a camera pointing outside to monitor outside also.

Oh, great idea! I've heard of one of the police departments here (I think Kirkwood, but I might be wrong) using a system that monitors the temp inside the car (not the dog directly). I believe a pager goes off if it's too hot - I *think* it uses some sort of radio bandwidth but it might be sms. I'd be a little cautious with sms text - when my dog was in the car, I was rarely in a place with cell service. Even in class, text sometimes doesn't get through the buildings (don't ask how I know). I think the in-car system ran off car battery, but I'm not sure. It's a great idea, though! I've heard of some sort of camera monitoring system, but I know nothing about it. Anyone else?

I think this is like the system that some police k9's use... I'm not sure if it's the same... I just did a quick google to find what I talked with their officer about and this looks similar working from memory... http://elitek9equipment.com/Vehicle/K9%20Heat%20Alarm.htm

It just sucks that irresponsible people ruin it for the rest of us. I leave my dogs in the car a lot, especially when we travel. (No drive through rest rooms!) I also used to leave them in the car at times when I was a college student (never in the sun or during the summer) because they could come to some classes with me but not others. I have fans, shade cloths, window shades and buckets with water to make sure they stay comfortable.

The K9 system does look ok, but it might be more than what the average person could afford (over $400), one of the ones I had a link to was supposed to retail for about $20, and the other one about $170

I think this is like the system that some police k9's use... I'm not sure if it's the same... I just did a quick google to find what I talked with their officer about and this looks similar working from memory... http://elitek9equipment.com/Vehicle/K9%20Heat%20Alarm.htm

We just last month had a local officer lose his K-9 because the engine stalled and the alarm system didn't work. Unfortunately, people saw the dog in trouble and didn't do anything. When they finally told the officer, he blew them off because he was relying on the faulty alarm. Sad situation.

Great that people cared, and also sometimes scary. I'm folwoing some conversations about this topic on some lists, or Facebook, and so many people are in the smash the window first ask questions/ call police later camp. Its scary, like someone said idiots ruining it for the rest of us. Unfortunately common sense just doesn't exist anymore.

I really like the idea of a giant thermometer, doesn't even have to be digital so people can see the temperature, maybe a sign that points out they have water and pointing out the thermometer location. Those alert things are cool too.

All the more reason for a seperate back up system that uses a seperate battery back-up, of course they would still need to replace the batteries on a regular basis (or rotate rechargble batteries) so it always has strong batteries.

We just last month had a local officer lose his K-9 because the engine stalled and the alarm system didn't work. Unfortunately, people saw the dog in trouble and didn't do anything. When they finally told the officer, he blew them off because he was relying on the faulty alarm. Sad situation.

Another thing I just thought of that needs to be factored in is the "heat index" factor, - those who live in areas prone to very high humidity know how the humidity can effectively make it feel a lot hotter than what the thermometer reads.

(I'm not sure if the first one also warns of too low of a temperature like the second one does)

A new high-tech collar aims to help prevent dogs dying in hot cars. The “Dog Caller” collar sends the owner an SMS if the dog’s temperature exceeds a safe level.

Another thing I just thought of that needs to be factored in is the "heat index" factor, - those who live in areas prone to very high humidity know how the humidity can effectively make it feel a lot hotter than what the thermometer reads.

Although true that heat index makes things worse, the biggest culprit in a car is 'greenhouse effect', sunlight goes through windows but heat gets trapped inside. Thus why temperature can increase extremely quickly in a parked car in the sun, especially with windows up. Something to keep in mind when parking in the shade, the sun does move and a delay of a few minutes can cause a rapid rise in temperature.

Light colored car, windows open, fans, blinds and water can mitigate it.

Good points, especially about the sun moving being an important factor, we must remember that just because it is shady at one place now, it may not be as shady there if we are delayed in getting back even by a short while.

I am glad you mentioned that, it can help us all to remember to think in terms of "will that spot still be shady 10 minutes from now, or 30 or more minutes from now if you are unexpectedly delayed". (those tempature alarm systems could prove valuable for such unexpected delays)

(and this is not directed at anyone in particular, but just various tips to help us all, as there are some things that some of us might not had even considered even though we are responsible and caring about our dogs)

Although true that heat index makes things worse, the biggest culprit in a car is 'greenhouse effect', sunlight goes through windows but heat gets trapped inside. Thus why temperature can increase extremely quickly in a parked car in the sun, especially with windows up. Something to keep in mind when parking in the shade, the sun does move and a delay of a few minutes can cause a rapid rise in temperature.

Light colored car, windows open, fans, blinds and water can mitigate it.

Dear Doggers,

Two problems, one very serious.

Overheating is serious and as the parents of 19 dead infants so far this year can testify, getting distracted is all too human. Animalarm and dogcaller ring cell phones which may not have service at sheepdog trials (mine, for instance) and the cop heat alarm is $400 +.

It isn't hard to keep dogs comfortable under 100 degree external temps. Shade cloth, white car/tinted glass, fans or simply chaining them under the car will do it.

Except for problem #2 - annoying but less serious: Busybodies/dog thieves/dogsrunfree types.

If mine must be locked up, in 100 degree temps, I keep the A/C running and (since my A/C doesn't do much unless the car is moving) leave them for no more than 15 minutes.

Maybe I'll just wire my car's horn to a preset temp gauge. Shouldn't be too hard.

Donald McCaig

In the news just this morning in my neck of the woods

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/former+Kemptville+Mart+employee+says+fired+Wednesday+after/8642836/story.html

A few interesting things:

- looks like a very regular occurence for dogs to be left in cars at big box stores, even when it is very hot

- people get upset if the danger is pointed out to them, telling people they shouldn't do something with their dogs (or kids) leads to emotional responses quickly

- temp can go up 10degC in 10min (thats about 20F)

Won't comment on Walmart's attitude toward their staff.

Wouldn't it be much nicer if (well behaved) dogs could taken inside instead?

Yeah, but if the behavior of many of the people in Walmart is any predictor of how their dogs will behave, it's better that they don't allow dogs. That said, I took my dog into my local Home Depot on a 100+ degree day. I'd had her at work with me and needed to buy an air conditioner on the way home. I walked in and went right to the service desk. I said this is my dog, she is well behaved, it's too hard to leave her in the car so she is coming shopping with me. They welcomed me into the store and helped me find what I needed.

It seems that a lot of people think it is somehow inherently cruel to leave a dog alone in a car, no matter the weather. I do not understand that feeling at all. How is it any different than being alone in a house or a crate or an outdoor pen? I don't like to leave my dog alone in the locked car for too long because I fear someone stealing him. However, on not-hot days, leaving him in the car for 5 minutes while I run into a store is not an issue.

I did see a lady once going through a small store parking lot, frantic, looking for the owner of a dog left in a truck. It was over cast (when my car is in the shade even on a warm day, it does not heat up like it would in the sun) and no more than 65 degrees, it was a cool windy day and I remember wearing pants and a long sleeve actually. The windows were down so far that the dog could jump out if it wanted to. I would have no problem speaking up if I thought a dog was in trouble or saw one left in a car on a hot day, but this dog was not in any danger. I worry about these people when I leave my dog safely in my car.

I think it is just as dangerous to leave a dog outside with no water, yet that situation does not draw the same emotional response from people. I pass several dogs every day on my way to work that live 24/7 tied to dog houses, trees or in small pens and many have very little shade and probably knocked their water over hours ago, if they had any. Dogs die as well of heatstroke when left to live in those conditions and not given water. I think a lot of news and media coverage helps play into some people being so over reactive to seeing a dog sitting in a car (hot day or not).

When I went to meet Spark, I brought Flint with me. I booked a hotel room specifically stating I had a dog with me....for whatever reason, they put me on the 2nd floor. Flint, being rather quirky at times, refused categorically to go up the stairs or in the elevator. I was too tired to force the issue so he stayed in his crate in the vehicle. It was night, on the shady side of the building, windows down a bit, etc...AND I still made sure to let the front desk know he was there and was safe! I did this because I didn't want someone thinking he was 'in distress'.

It is such a catch 22....I travel with my dogs, so sometimes, they are left in the vehicle...I do everything I can to keep it a short time and a comfortable time.

It seems that a lot of people think it is somehow inherently cruel to leave a dog alone in a car, no matter the weather. I do not understand that feeling at all.

Some people think a crate is cruel. The weather part is obviously the critical thing here. I can't comment on the particulars of that newspaper article but it has been very hot in the last few weeks and dog/babies left in cars have made the news for tragic reasons. So I tend to think that the staff behaviour was warranted, then again it may have been cool and overcast and over the top responses.

I read the article and it does not state the temperature that day but I do completely agree with the employee. It sounds like her intentions were good and warranted. I was just commenting that some people go a little nuts seeing a dog in a car when it isn't in distress. It seems, reading around the internet, that some people think just leaving a dog in a car at all should be illegal.

Again, if the weather is not a problem, then I can't possibly understand why a car is dangerous for a dog to stay in for a bit.

I too, have had to leave a dog crated in a car overnight. He was just fine (windows down and 55 degrees). Some dogs (don't know how) survive living outside 24/7 in heat, cold and snow for years with nothing more than a wood box. Yet, people seem to not get so upset about that. Most people taking their dogs in the car for a ride are more responsible than the latter and wouldn't put their dogs in danger. Some, under estimate just how dangerous a car can be in the heat and those stories make the news. The media is a powerful thing. Just like how all pit bulls are killing machines if you listen to the media. Be responsible and smart and your dog will be fine. And by all means, speak up when you think you see a dog in trouble.