BC Boards

Last night's excitement

I'd venture to guess that far more dogs are killed each year for stupid things like pooping in the house than in hot cars. Not to downplay the hot car danger at all, but an intelligent, reasonable person can keep their dog pretty safe in a wide variety of siuations. I was in the vet's office yesterday and somone had this poor tiny Chi bitch that had been in labor for THREE DAYS. Yet my two well conditioned, well trained dogs, well cared for dogs who are chilling in the back of my car (which was cooler than temps that we train in all summer) are the ones that garner the attention of law enforcement and animal control. Kind of ironic.

I'd venture to guess that far more dogs are killed each year for stupid things like pooping in the house than in hot cars. Not to downplay the hot car danger at all, but an intelligent, reasonable person can keep their dog pretty safe in a wide variety of siuations. I was in the vet's office yesterday and somone had this poor tiny Chi bitch that had been in labor for THREE DAYS. Yet my two well conditioned, well trained dogs, well cared for dogs who are chilling in the back of my car (which was cooler than temps that we train in all summer) are the ones that garner the attention of law enforcement and animal control. Kind of ironic.

Dear Doggers,

Dunno about you but I can be distracted and want backups for my inattention. Couple years back I was visiting my autistic/profoundly retarded son in his group home - and, as usual, I was confused and subfunctional. When I came out after an hour I realized I'd left two dogs in the car without even rolling the windows down!

Temp in the midsixties, light breeze, some shade, white car, tinted glass, no harm done. But . . .

Donald McCaig

I am glad people care enough worry about a dog in a car on a hot day - as long as they use common sense. About 15 years ago, I left my dog in my car on a hot day with the windows rolled down, then walked 75 feet to the dry cleaners, was immediately waited on and walked back to the car. 2-3 minutes max. When I got back to the car, someone had stuck a notice under my windshield wiper lecturing about the dangers of leaving dogs in hot cars. I was fuming. (no pun intended) I can understand if they watched the car for 10-15 minutes and no one showed up, but the fact that they generalized the situation got me PO'ed.

Liz, around here, the Home Depot welcomes dogs (I have asked), but Lowe's does not.

Jovi

Dear Doggers,

Although there are other factors besides raw temperature (wind, humidity, airflow) I am interested in installing a high temp alarm in my car and think I know how to do it.

Does anyone know what external temp a sheepdog can endure?

Donald McCig

I have an insulated cap on my white truck, and the summers here regularly see temps in the 90s and 100s. I bring a couple of my dogs to work with me and sometimes run errands during lunch. I have determined, through experience, that out west, where humidity is very low, the dogs seem comfortable being left in the shade for short periods with the three cap windows (front and two XL sides) open but the back shut in temps up to about 90 degrees. The temp in the back of my truck generally remains the same as the outside air temp (I have two thermometers back there) and airflow is good. Much beyond that and they begin panting, so I leave them in the office.

Dear Doggers,

Although there are other factors besides raw temperature (wind, humidity, airflow) I am interested in installing a high temp alarm in my car and think I know how to do it.

Does anyone know what external temp a sheepdog can endure?

Donald McCig

Another factor to consider is that you don't want the system to alarm when the temperature is not endurable anymore but before in order to allow you to get back to the car in time. If one is 10min away, not only would the dog be above that temperature but the temp would keep rising in the mean time.

See these graphs (followed link from www.avma.org/petsincars)

http://ggweather.com/heat/index.htm#heating

From googling looks like signs of heatstroke can start at 80F, although access to water, and no physical activity might help raise that somehow.

The true criteria is internal body heat, just looked it up and (suprisingly) appears to be the same level for both dogs and humans at 104F. Pretty safe to say that if temp is above 104F it would be pretty darn hard for the dog to cool off (maybe still possible through evaporation cooling/panting but obviously harder to do the higher the temp)

http://dogs.about.com/od/dogandpuppyhealth/qt/heatstroke.htm

Another danger might be dark surfaces becoming burning hot (200F), even the black part of the dog's coat will heat up faster if exposed to the sun.

Looking at some products, looks like they alert at 80F. Might be a reasonable setting to put allowing time to get back to the car.

ttp://www.gizmag.com/dog-caller-collar/23746/