BC Boards

Do you remember Rivendell?

Yes, I think it is probably the same dog. I put the shelter photo side by side with one on Rivendell's dogster (linked in the signature). This dog is considerably greyer but the shape of the head and ears is the same, and the dog's age is consistent.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think it is probably the same dog.

I thought it was the same dog too, until I got to the very last photo on the Dogster account where the dog has a toy in her mouth. Notice how the top of the nose has white on it going all the way across her snout. The current photo from the shelter, the dog has a dip on the one side where it is black all the way to the nose. Otherwise though, it looks very very similar. The dog has a lot of gray now and looks to be shaved but the white on the top of the nose does not match.

It looks like the same dog to me. This just breaks my heart. I wonder what happened that she ended back in a shelter? Does anyone know if she is in danger of being put down? Is there a BC rescue in this area? I'm in GA so not much help, but this is sooo sad. :-(

Kelley, thanks for posting that. I am so glad to see that Rivendell was adopted. It's been nagging at me all day, since I saw the news story this morning.* I believe she is the same dog. Another black border collie mix with that same look, that unusual name, the same age, and living near Boise, Idaho, seems just too unlikely. It seemed -- online of course -- that she was a much-loved dog. I can't imagine what happened, but I hope that Donna and her family are OK.

* And it's quite random that I saw it. When I am really procrastinating doing some job or other, I will occasionally search Google News for "border collie." This morning was probably the first time I'd done so in six months. I wonder what else I'm missing?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there! I adopted "Rivendell" from the Idaho Humane Society about 5 weeks ago. I am convinced that she is the same dog discussed above with the Dogster account. I read the Dogster's former owner's description of tricks that her dog could do, and when I asked my new dog to find the remote, she did it with aplomb. I realize that that might not really be an obscure trick, but she can also wave and jump and shake and recycle. She has obviously been very well trained and loved. My boyfriend and I adopted her the day before she was scheduled to be euthanized (as she had been at the shelter for 6 months and was considered to be a senior), and we re-named her "Riverdog". She had a bad case of kennel cough, and so we had to keep her quarantined for a couple of weeks. She is a fantastic dog. She is very well-behaved and is deferential to our one-eyed cat (whom we adopted from the shelter in February), and we spend every day walking in the water ditches and canals that criss-cross Boise. She is a definitely a water dog and we want her to spend all of her days in happiness. If she is the same dog as the one in the Dogster account, she must have experienced the loss of her person, and subsequently spent 6 months in a kennel. We only strive to make her comfortable and at ease.

Riverdog grew up with cats, if I recall correctly. I am so happy she landed with you. Ever since this was first posted, I have worried about this dog--I always think that the dogs of people who care about them enough to participate in a border collie bulletin board would never end up in a shelter, and it makes me so very sad to know that this is unfortunately not always the case. Six months in a shelter is a long time, but it sounds like the wait was worth it for her to end up in such a good home. Thank you for opening your home and heart to an older dog, and thanks for letting us know she is has found a safe place to land.

congrats, you sound like you're happy with her and she's really lucky you found her when you did, given her length of stay and lack of time remaining. You guys sound like you'll be really good owners, and welcome to the board.

I am so happy she landed with you. Ever since this was first posted, I have worried about this dog--I always think that the dogs of people who care about them enough to participate in a border collie bulletin board would never end up in a shelter, and it makes me so very sad to know that this is unfortunately not always the case. Six months in a shelter is a long time, but it sounds like the wait was worth it for her to end up in such a good home. Thank you for opening your home and heart to an older dog, and thanks for letting us know she is has found a safe place to land.

^^What Laura said. Thank you for opening your home and hearts to Riverdog.

J.

• 7 years later...

I just wanted to let anyone out there who may remember my Riverdog ( aka Rivendell) that she passed away today at age 16+.  She was my best friend and my sweet old girl.  She passed away very comfortably of old age :-)

I am so sorry for your loss.  What an amazing story.  What I love most is that many people worry about adopting an older dog in that they will not have them for long.  Here is a dog that gave 7-8  more years after being adopted (which for some dogs and some breeds is a lifetime.)  You are very special people.

• 3 weeks later...