BC Boards

Auto/Pickup Dog Ramps

My older BC, will be 14 in Nov, is starting to have trouble getting into my Pickup. He rides in the cab with me. I need to get some type of ramp to make it easier for him to get in, he does not have any trouble getting down, just getting up into the cab. A local store has an extendable aluminum ramp but it is rather pricey at almost $150, and also it is not that compact. I tried a moulded plastic one, but it was more trouble than it was worth. Also I have a back injury and it is rather hard on me to lift him up into the truck.

Recommendations anyone?

Thank You.

Wooden ramp? Build it yourself, plywood and supported. Place slats, 1inch every half foot on the front side (where dog walks) and paint it with multipl layers of that none slip powder you can buy. Install place in hinges in truck/on the ramp that you just lay it on. Than unhook an store in the bed.

In more of a DIY'er than buying.

when twitch hurt his back leg, he had trouble jumping up into my suv. he was kinda leary of a ramp. (I tried a friends) I just used a milk crate with a little rug on it. he was quite willing to step up onto the crate and then into the car. he also used I to get out. easy enough to throw in the truck and take with you too.

A plywood ramp will be very heavy for you to move. I like the milk crate idea, perhaps two bolted together, covered with a thick piece of carpet. Much easier/cheaper than the ramp.

I'd put them so that they stick out long ways from your truck. Your dog will have more of a surface to feel stable on, and if his back is arthritic, this will be easier on him. And think about having him jump down onto them, too. It's hard on the shoulders/neck to hit the pavement.

Good luck!

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

I like the idea of the milk crate. I have a plastic one that folds in half that I used with my 68lb GSDx it was very stable, and she got the idea it was for her very quickly, it stored flat against the back seat in the rear of my trooper. It is fairly heavy though. I tried to make a plywood one, and to make a folding one which you really need otherwise the ramp is to steep it was becoming to heavy.

A friend of mine made a very lightweight ramp with one of those wire shelves designed for laundry rooms covered with astroturf, using hardware staples to staple the cloth onto itself over the frame. Not sure if my description makes sense, but it works well for border collies and very compact and easy to stow.