BC Boards

The Naming

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She should be just within the ABCA limit of 14 characters (including spaces); The only reason for us folks that call their dogs one name and register them the same name is that is how we expect it. It's name is Sweep, registered name Sweep, and than we have hey stupid head or what a good man!

It is only recently that I have started seeing kennel prefexes added to the border collie names. Jack Knox has done so for quite some time but there has been additions. I do have one dog with a Kennel name in front. She never has that listed unless I do an AHBA event.., and even then, too many freakin' letters! If you want to decipher one Don from another, it is...oh that is from Scott's Don or from Jack's Don who was out of....

I really am all for tradition; one syllable, or something you can shorten to one syllable; it can't sound like a herding cue, and you have to be able to yell it and your neighbours not think you are completely nuts!

I have friends that do AKC that spend an inordinate amount of time deciding on a dogs name and the call name. It usually has a "ewe" can do it, "ewe" r the best, "ewe"ve beaten the odds, etc. They were completely offended when I called my dog Pam; That was it Pam.. not anything fancy. And you can yell Pam with some ferocity so that the neighbours think you are crazy!

Cynthia

And this is what *I* think of.

That was great Kristi!

There is also a song called "Her name is Alice" by Shinedown. It was for the most recent Alice in Wonderland movie.

I'm starting to like the name Alice now... But for a girl pup....

And I am more of a traditionalist for names too....

Okay, I've had "who the f@ck is Alice" stuck in my head all day!

Right? It's so catchy, I was chair-dancing at work (don't judge) and things got too energetic and I fell out of my chair. smile.gif

Back on topic - that's a whole lotta names (coming from the owner of Wick, Lou and Rex). biggrin.gif

Ha!! First off, if I named my pup "Alice" it's only name would be "Alice".....second, my last pup had two 'fer sur' names picked out, and the second I picked him up, his name was suddenly something much different. His name came to me in the instant I met him and wasn't even on my short list (or even my long list). As much as I deliberate about names, they usually come to me once I actually meet the 7-9 week pup.

Juniper earned her name. I had owned her for 3 days and nothing was sticking. Then she leaped into the air and snatched a beetle, swallowing it whole. So, I started calling her June Bug but chose Juniper as her real name. Now she mostly goes by Juniper, but if I am being affectionate it might be June Bug, or if she is being evil it's June Bitch.

I usually have some names but I need to see the dog before I actually name it; Usually not the name i had decided.

Our last puppy (now named Dave) was going to be named Ben; I had him in an xpen and said...hi said..hi baby ben; and suddenly realized Baby Ben was my new nephew (about 4 months old) and my family would have been very upset. So new name

And they can't sound too much like my other 18 dogs...alhtough I do have a Fred and a Ted. But Fred is a mini schnauzer

The whole fancy AKC name thing always bothered me. Show horses get weird names too. :\

I'm a sucker for people names. I lean towards real names cuz I feel real names make animals part of the family rather than just a pet or a possession.

I'm totally voting for Alice or Valentine. Cooper makes me think of Trey Parker's character from BASEketball which is funny but totally inappropriate for a smart pupster.

I like Alice because you could just call him Al. :)

Or if you're like me, you give your dog a ridiculous amount of nicknames, most of which aren't relevant to his actual name (i.e. brady, brady alan, bady, monster, destructo, ohmygod-what-the-!@#$-is-in-your-mouth).

Show horses get weird names too. :\

Actually it's mostly a Thoroughbred racehorse thing. The Jockey Club doesn't allow owners to register foals with names that have already been used, so after hundreds of years, they have to keep getting more and more creative. The names are usually a derivative of their sire and dam's names, and they always have a "barn" name as well. For instance, my off the track thoroughbred's registered name is Shadowsoncanvas, which is a play on both his parent's names, and his barn name is Shadow. When we event under his registered name, it helps people keep track of everyone, since there are a million Shadows, but only one Shadowsoncanvas, even if it is a stupid nametongue.gif

Not that some breed shows don't try to borrow legitimacy from the Jockey Club by just coming up with ridiculous "show" names, but it's mostly a TB thing and they actually come by it honestly.

And to keep this post slightly on topic, I personally like Coop or Cooper.

Jexa, you must not have looked at QH or Arab names lately! They're ridiculous! Of course, the worst we ever had was indeed a TB. Brown as could be, not very attractive, slow, and dumb. Made a great kid's hunter after he utterly failed on the track. His name? POTOOOOOOOO. That's "Po-T-8-O's". Potatoes. My current QH is "Our Little Buddy Boy." I hate it, but he's kinda stuck with Buddy. I thought of changing it to Buck (he's a buckskin), but that seemed like a bad idea :)

I know a couple lovely dogs named Cooper. I like the monosyllabic names, nothing fancy: Nick & Hoot are my boys. Nothing more on Nick's papers, and Hoot doesn't have any.