BC Boards

Torn Pad

Alright, I know that the usual and logical answer for this is, let it heal. I deal with Chesney tearing his feet up more frequently than I'd like, but my question is more for "on the road" per se.

I thought I read someone where a while back that there was a patch of some sort I could make from moleskin, super glue, and cornstarch that would allow a dog to continue working with a blown pad.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for something I could possibly keep on me or in a first aid kit and definitely in my SAR pack that could allow him to continue work without further damaging his feet and make him comfortable?

And when I say torn pad, I'm not talking about little round popped blisters, I'm talking like missing 75% or more of his pad, usually on multiple pads per paw.

Just to give you an idea this is just one paw:

7727883158_c69415c4a2.jpg

7727877016_39bbf16cd5.jpg

My departed Samantha tore both her front feet to hamburger, chasing a ball on hard-packed dirt. It took a vet visit and two weeks before she could walk normally.

Mind you, if I got the ball out she was raring to go again, but paid the price immediately afterward. I only made that mistake once.

My vet told me that those kinds of layer removals took a long time to heal, and that the glued-on moleskins usually wore off quickly. Sorry I can't be more help, and I hope he heals quickly.

Ruth

Have you tried something like Musher's Secret/Tuf Foot/Pad Heal to help protect/toughen his pads overall?

I think what I'd do for a quick fix is a thick gauze pad and a few layers of cohesive vet wrap to allow him to continue working on it.

If it's a common occurrence, I'd almost consider boots for something like this, but if he's working rubble I'm not sure how boots would affect his footing.

I'm not a vet but... I would rinse the paw with providone iodine (EDIT: Veterinary providone iodine, NOT REGULAR IODINE! ALSO SOME DOGS MAY BE ALLERGIC TO IODINE) and wrap it, but keep in mind dogs sweat from their paws and the resulting moisture can slow healing and facilitate infection. So, frequent bandage changes are a must. Once the paw is healed I'd use Mushers Secret to prevent a recurrence (although it may also aid in healing).

ETA: Re: edit above, I just wanted to clarify for any new dog owners who might see this and also warn of a possible allergic reaction (which my dogs never had, but since it is possible I want to warn)

2nd ETA: I did some research into providone iodine, and I would NOT recommend it now. I had not kept up on recent medical literature, and it looks like veterinarians are getting away from providone iodine for these types of injuries now due to possible skin irritation and allergic reaction.

Edited by terrecar

Have you tried something like Musher's Secret/Tuf Foot/Pad Heal to help protect/toughen his pads overall?

I think what I'd do for a quick fix is a thick gauze pad and a few layers of cohesive vet wrap to allow him to continue working on it.

If it's a common occurrence, I'd almost consider boots for something like this, but if he's working rubble I'm not sure how boots would affect his footing.

I was giving him zinc for a while but ran out and kept forgetting to get more to give him with his dinner (otherwise it upsets his stomach), so I've started that with him again. While he was getting it before, it did seem to work well with infrequent issues with his feet.

He has a pair of muttluks but working sheep he doesn't have traction and slips around quite a bit, also when he's working both sheep and SAR he over heats much quicker with his boots on than when he doesn't wear them. Otherwise I like his boots for hot pavement and on cooler winter days.

The vet wrap and gauze is what I use now, but he tends to throw those wraps after a while, he must have slippery feet since he will throw booties too every time he wears them, I think right now we only have 3 since the last time he wore them he lost one... :lol:

I'm not a vet but... I would rinse the paw with providone iodine and wrap it, but keep in mind dogs sweat from their paws and the resulting moisture can slow healing and facilitate infection. So, frequent bandage changes are a must. Once the paw is healed I'd use Mushers Secret to prevent a recurrence (although it may also aid in healing).

Thanks. This believe it or not is not the worst his feet have been. I don't wrap it and let him deal with it as he will. That way air gets to it and it can heal. Surprisingly, for as soft as his feet are, they heal within a week and he is usually not limping after two or so days.

The vet wrap and gauze is what I use now, but he tends to throw those wraps after a while, he must have slippery feet since he will throw booties too every time he wears them, I think right now we only have 3 since the last time he wore them he lost one... :lol:

How far up do you wrap it on his leg? I wonder if you wrapped it like half way up his leg if it would stay on better?

Try wrapping the top of the vet wrap with hockey tape, adhered to Ches's fur on his hock. That's what kept them in place for Meg (who has spent much of the summer dealing with this as well). Then get some of Vickie Close's Tuff N Up to, well, toughen up Chesney's pads. That stuff is amazing!

Thanks. This believe it or not is not the worst his feet have been. I don't wrap it and let him deal with it as he will. That way air gets to it and it can heal. Surprisingly, for as soft as his feet are, they heal within a week and he is usually not limping after two or so days.

I should have figured you knew that, being a seasoned dog person (sorry :rolleyes: ). Looking at the pictures, it isn't as bad as I've seen either. My whippet tore his paw to about the same extent, and he did fine without wrap, particularly since he had that sighthound snooze thing going on when he was finished zooming. My GSD had a laceration as well though, so wrapping worked for her. I'm sorry I couldn't be of any help, but he's in good hands :)

Try wrapping the top of the vet wrap with hockey tape, adhered to Ches's fur on his hock. That's what kept them in place for Meg (who has spent much of the summer dealing with this as well).

Agreed. I also will use the sports tape over the Vetrap on the foot to give it a longer life (that is, the sports tapes stands up to running much better than just vetrap).

I've not found a boot that a dog wouldn't lose while working, but vetrap and sports tape does seem to work. I leave them on only for work and otherwise let the dog go without bandages.

J.

I edited my post (heavily) because I did some research into providone iodine. It looks like veterinarians are getting away from using it for these types of skin injuries due to possible further skin irritation and allergic reaction. Sorry about the recommendation. I really need to keep more current...

ETA: I see some on this board have recommended it in the past under its name, Betadine, so maybe this will have some positive outcome :rolleyes: Maralynn, I fear this one counts as me being proud of my ignorance (now where's the mea culpa emoticon?) :lol:

Edited by terrecar

Terrecar,

FWIW I think it would be okay to use Betadine for the initial cleaning of a wound, but I wouldn't keep using it because irritation could occur, with the end result being slowing of healing. The same is true for things like peroxide. A little might be good; too much can be bad!

J.

Both of my Border Collies have this same issue. I usually wash twice daily with Chlorahexadine surgical scrub (can get cheap from any vet) and then depending on the injury I will either wrap or leave it open to air. The type the original poster pictured I usually wash as above then cover with a few heavy layers of liquid bandage and leave it be. If the pad is sliced I wash and wrap it as best possible. I have in the past super glued a sliced pad back together for a competition (after washing it well)which worked beautifully (old sled dog trick.) Musher's secret is a great product for preventing pad injury but I wouldn't put it on a deep open wound.

I attached a picture of my rescue BC Jokers last pad injury, he was less than amused!

post-12493-005297200 1344323639_thumb.jpg

It has been so dry here that a lot of dogs have been tearing pads. This is how I learned how to put boots on (Credit to Jenny Glen for showing me how):

Supplies:

Triple Antibiotic

Small square of gauze

4 pieces of vet wrap (about 4" - 6" inches long)

1 piece of hockey tape

Put a small amount of triple antibiotic on sore. Put small square of gauze over it. The triple antibiotic is to keep the gauze from sticking to the pad and the gauze is for a little bit of cushion and to keep the vet wrap off the sore. Put first piece of vet wrap on the long way (up and down) to the dew claw. Put the next piece of vet wrap on around the paw. 3rd piece of vet wrap goes the long way again and the 4th piece goes around. Make sure all of the strips of vet wrap are as snug/tight as comfortably possible. Secure top just under dew claw with hockey tape.

I lost one boot - the first one I did. I don't think I made the hockey tape tight enough but haven't lost a boot since! And Devon had torn feet for a few weeks. The only bummer about them as soon as they hop in water they should come off. And it has been so hot that I should have invested some $$ in vet wrap stock! :P I now have a "boot" making kit in my trunk.

ETA: I also have Vicki Closes's Tuff N Up for their feet and have been using it regularly now. Works really well!

Thanks everyone for all the tips.

Another question with wrapping feet for those that have seen torn feet being a problem this year, do you wrap as a preventative when you know your dog will be working in conditions conducive to torn pads, or do you only wrap once the pad is torn?

If you are wrapping as a preventative, do you notice your dogs heating up faster than when their feet are not wrapped?

I've never wrapped as a preventive and I never leave wraps on after working. I make them fairly tight so they'll stay on and won't leave them on for fear of them being overtight and doing damage.

In your case, I can't see that it would hurt to wrap preventively if you know he's likely to do damage.

J.

I haven't been wrapping as a preventative--since I started using the Tuff N Up, we haven't had any more blown pads. And though I know you probably know this, Danielle, I also wanted to mention to anyone reading this thread who may not know, vet wrap shouldn't be kept on indefinitely, as it tightens up around the paw as it's being worn.

I've wrapped as a preventative when I knew we were working in an area that was highly likely to be a problem. I've used something close to the gauze and vet wrap method mentioned above. You do have to check regularly to make sure you don't has any issues pop up and I've never had to leave the wraps on all day.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to dredge up/hijack this thread. But I’m having a pad issue with Tex. Almost three weeks ago I came home from work and he greeted me at the door on three legs. I flipped him over and main pad on his rear left foot was torn up. Not like Chesney’s blown pad. Tex has had plenty of those and recovers pretty quick. This time he wouldn’t put any weight on it. I kept it clean and wrapped it up for when I wasn’t home. As of that Friday he still wouldn’t bear any weight on it so we went to the vet to rule out something being wrong with the hip, knee or foot. Tex is an all or nothing kind of dog. He has no regard for his safety. He’s not careful and physically he’s pretty tough. At the vet’s he had x-rays & a thorough physical exam and all was well, except the pads, of course. I kept cleaning, drying and wrapping it. The vet game me some Predef powder for the pads and some Previcox for pain, should he need it. I bought a Cone of Shame and crated him during the day. I started taking a couple pics every day just so I could see what if any progress there was. (And clearly I have nothing else to do with my time.) About a week later he looked quite a bit better (see the 9/3 pic). I was getting excited, he was doing so much better, putting weight on the foot, wanting to play. He just seemed to be feeling so much better. Wednesday I came home from work, let Tex out of his crate and he’d managed to contort himself enough (with the cone on) that he was able to rip off his bandages and chew the hell out of his foot. Back to square one. And back to the vet. She gave us 10 days worth of Cephalexin and orders to continue to wrap the foot nearly up his thigh to make pulling bandages off more difficult. We also have a bite not collar. I’m not convinced that he won’t still be able to contort himself and chew. My agility instructor has started keeping him for me during the day so that someone can keep an eye on him to stop him from chewing if attempts to. So we’re micro-managing him. But this is getting ridiculous. It’s a pad, it should be getting better by now. Very frustrating…for me and for Tex.

About a week ago I ordered Tuff n Up after reading this thread. From what I’ve read this looks like it should really help. It arrived today. As you can see from the pics below, Tex’s pads are pretty raw. Will the Tuff n Up sting or cause discomfort when I apply it? If this stuff does the trick, that’s fine. I just want to be prepared for the reaction. Also, should I wait until it’s dry before wrapping the foot back up?

A friend of mine suggested something called Scarlett Oil. Has anyone heard of it?

I really want him to get better. We’re all so over it. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

Danielle, I hope Chesney recovered quickly!

Thursday 8/30

2012-08-29_19-22-13_542.jpg

Friday 8/31

2012-08-30_18-20-39_40.jpg

Saturday 9/1

2012-09-02_09-48-54_301.jpg

Monday 9/3

IMG_20120903_184016.jpg

Wednesday 9/5

2012-09-05_17-41-00_899.jpg

Not exactly the same, but worth a shot. Annie had a dew claw removed and she tore open the incision and it wouldn't heal. The vet gave us honey to put on it. So we put the honey on the wound and wrapped it. I noticed a difference within 12 hours. Every day it's got noticeably better. They gave us a tube at the vet but told us that if we ran out or the tube got gummed up to just go buy some honey at the store. I had no idea honey could do that and I'm so impressed with how well it worked that I will try it on myself if I ever have a cut that needs healing.