BC Boards

I *might* be a border collie person

We adopted Bennie from our local shelter last October (2011). He was listed, on Petfinder and on his kennel at the shelter, as a 'lab mix' and, for some reason, it wasn't until I got him home and saw how hyper he was that I recognized that he might have some BC in him. I'll try to attach a photo - though not a great one, it's one I have access to, now. He's furrier than he appears in this photo.

post-13267-032011900 1335970328_thumb.jpg

Just wanted to introduce him, briefly, because I'm starting to come here more for advice - it's getting hot, in Georgia, and I will have questions about grooming, cooling, packs so he can carry his own water, and behavior (oh, YES - behavior!), if I don't find answers that seem to fit him from searching.

Thanks for being here!

Thanks

Cara

IMHO, Bennie definitely looks like he has some BC in his recent ancestry. Welcome to the Boards. In addition to BC-specific advice (behavior, health, herding etc.), I have found that the many dog-savvy members here also provide expert general dog advice. Do not be afraid to ask even if you may not think it is a "BC-specific" problem.

Good Luck,

Jovi

Hmmm, either way, he looks lovely.

I have to admit however, that your post made me giggle. So you "knowingly" adopted a labmix, but yet are surprised by a hyper dog? :)

Yes, I know, there are probably a gazillion labmixes that are not hyper....but I have to admit, I have never met one!!! Please know I write this in good humor with absolutely no bad intend. Just had to smile. Plus you are a wonderful person being that you did adopt one of the thousands of black lab mixes in shelters who so often go unnoticed and get passed up.

Thanks for the welcomes, and yeah, you got me! Actually, Bennie's "kennel card" said 'shepherd mix,' now that I think about it, but that probably doesn't let me off the hook, either! But, c'mon -- I've met lots of mellow (lethargic, even!) labs in my time -- and have not yet met a non-hyper BC, or even heard of one!

His energy level was a bit overwhelming, at first (I'm 50, and I'm the young one in my marriage, AND I'm lazy and sedentary...or WAS) - but I read that BCs are often given up for that very reason, so I vowed to try to give him the exercise that he needed. My husband wanted a walking partner, so it seemed perfect.

Unfortunately, I have a husband who is 12 years old, at times -- and, when Bennie proved to be a bit "leash-spastic," my husband broke his promise to walk him daily.

Then, I was walking him about 6 miles a day (after an 8 hour day at work) but, thankfully, with the heat, he has become less demanding. He no longer chews our stuff when he's got energy to burn, but we always have 'chew toys' or bones on hand so he's got something to do when we're not home. I'm down to about 4 miles a day, now - and it's decreasing as the heat comes one.

Now that he's getting better with me on the leash, my husband seems more interested in walking him more -- but now I kind of enjoy the quality time with Bennie, and am not sure that I want to give it up! He's definitely MY dog...

I really hope he's a swimmer -- he jumps right into our creek, but we have a pool that he's not quite ready for (he has indicated).

Today's visit was to read about people's opinions on (of all things) air conditioning for the dog, and summer grooming. I have had Akitas, in the past, and so am familiar with a 'double-coat,' but I don't really see that same kind of coat on Ben - so am not sure if shaving is a good idea or a bad one. I think I'll follow some moderate advice that I read, and perhaps get him shaved underneath. Right now, we're already turning on the A/C for part days, but I'd love to get him to better handle the heat (at least until mid-June) by acclimating - and swimming!

I'm also looking for a pack that he can comfortably wear in the heat, so he can carry his own water - I can't carry enough for both of us, and would rather he not drink the creek water.

He's the first dog I've had who looks me in the eye, and seems to smile. I'm in love.

Unfortunately, I have a husband who is 12 years old, at times -- and, when Bennie proved to be a bit "leash-spastic," my husband broke his promise to walk him daily.

This made me laugh. :lol:

Have you looked into walking aids that might make life easier for your husband so that he will take Bennie for more walks? Something like an Easy-Walk harness or a Gentle Leader would probably help a lot, as they go a long way to discourage and prevent a dog from pulling.

Maybe consider attending an obedience class together as a family (you, husband & Bennie) -- Not only is training together a bonding experience, but you could get lots of handy tips to help you deal with any issues you might be experiencing at home. Just be sure to shop around for a trainer who uses a positive/reward-based training method. Border Collies (heck, most dogs) don't do well with the old fashioned crank & spank trainers.

Congrats, he's a cutie!

One suggestion is to brush him out a lot instead of shaving. Chances are he has a double coat and shaving him is not going to make him cooler. Dogs don't sweat from their skin as I am sure you know and with no fur to protect his skin he is more likely to have damage from the sun plus his coat will not grow back nicely at the end of summer. I have worked in a grooming shop and people always want their dogs shaved thinking it is helping the dog when it is not. If you use a groomer, chances are they use a high power dryer (we call it a blaster) which will get a lot of that coat off of him plus you can ask for a good brush out. Then you can continue to maintain it at home (we love the furminator, you wouldn't believe the hair it gets out). I can't imagine having a dog in the south, I felt bad for my guy last summer and our summers in NY are not nearly like yours. We did a whole lot of swimming and many short outings for exercise.

and have not yet met a non-hyper BC, or even heard of one!

I have two!!!

He's the first dog I've had who looks me in the eye, and seems to smile. I'm in love.

yep...that says it all....he got Border Collie in him!! :lol:

I have two!!!

And I have one as well! Quinn may be intense and always ready to do something, but he is actually a very calm and well mannered boy to have around. He comes to the office with me a couple days a week, and people frequently comment on how laidback he is. He didn't arrive that way, however, but with training, management as a youngster and lots of attention, he grew into a fabulous companion. Good luck with your cutie!

I know shaving can go either way, but 2 years ago I shaved my BC and haven't looked back. He doesnt do well in the heat, and i heard so many mixed views on shaving before i did it. But it worked! I shave him as soon as it gets nice in the spring an throughout the summer. Always grows back normally. And I know 100% he is cooler without the fur. He tolerates the heat much better.

Both my girls got haircuts every summer. They were visibly and immediately more relaxed and slept better. Their coats grew in just fine by October or so.

If you do let Bennie swim frequently, he'll dry off faster and more thoroughly with less coat.

AC - hmm. Keeping a breeze going with fans works for us, but I live in the San Francisco area, and we've got nightly natural cooling fog most evenings. The problem with AC is that humans and dogs get accustomed to it, and I think have a harder time in the outside heat. You'll get opinions from others, I'm sure, but you might lean towards minimizing AC and making sure Bennie has a cool slab of linoleum to chill out on.

Welcome!

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

One suggestion is to brush him out a lot instead of shaving. Chances are he has a double coat and shaving him is not going to make him cooler. Dogs don't sweat from their skin as I am sure you know and with no fur to protect his skin he is more likely to have damage from the sun plus his coat will not grow back nicely at the end of summer.

And the physics of the matters says that the heat of the sun is conducted to the skin much more efficiently with short hair so shaving is counterproductive.

I have 4 short coated dogs and 1 woolly bear. Guess which one suffers least in the heat. All it needs is for me to make sure that the air circulates freely through his coat by ensuring that his dead undercoat is removed and doesn't get felted.

This is pretty good and along the lines of what you said.

http://groomblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/shaving-dogs-for-summer-consider-this.html#!/2012/03/shaving-dogs-for-summer-consider-this.html

I will shave only bellies in summer so that my working dogs can cool off faster when they get in water. Look at desert cultures--they don't go around nekkid because it's cooler; they wrap themselves up, even in black clothing, to protect themselves from the sun. It may seem counterintuitive, but apparently it works.

The only dog I've ever had shaved was done because he gets badly matted and won't tolerate grooming. But I'd never shave one with the idea that it will be cooler. And I don't use the a/c; we acclimate to the hot, humid summers here and it makes it more bearable when we have to be out in it working.

J.

Thanks, everyone!

I am leaning toward

1) keeping the A/C where we would have it, if he didn't live with us, which is not on until very hot, and then quite warm -- because we have the pool to cool off in. Hopefully, he will adjust (he's panting a lot, now).

2) starting with a professional brushing to remove as much dead undercoat as possible, asking the groomer for advice on the best tool to maintain that at home, and NOT shaving him, this summer, unless he doesn't improve. I figure, this way, no harm/no foul. I won't be doing anything that I shouldn't do anyway. I hope to "home groom" him, but will start with a pro.

3) teaching him that, when we're home, the pool is NOT scarier than the creek (and it's cleaner!).

Now that I've determined my plan of action for summer, I move on to food. Bennie's turning out to be a bit picky. I have a husband who thinks that the answer to getting him to finish his bowl is to "enhance" the food with table scraps (despite me telling him repeatedly to NOT do that - did I mention that my husband is a 12 year old?). So, in reality, I will have to buy Bennie what is good for him that he will eat.

I have other topics, but will start other threads!

Thanks

Cara

My woolly bear dog had one side of his hindquarters shaved 8 months ago for an op and it's just stopped looking weird now.

Superficially it looks OK but closer examination shows that the guard hairs are only just starting to grow back and they are much shorter than the other side, while there is plenty of undercoat.

Normally the guard hairs do a brilliant job - he can be soaking wet on top with bone dry undercoat and skin. And in sun I'm sure the fact that his outer coat is shiny helps reflect its rays.

Archived