BC Boards

lap dogs

When I researched the border breed everything I read said if you would like a lap dog do not get a border. I have had my girls for 3 years they are both 37 pounds and are on our laps every night. We can't sit down in the evening without a border in our laps. We love it but other that come to the house not so much. The regulars know its going to happen. They just lay there all night as happy as can be.

I think the lap dogs wording isn't meant to be literal, as in a little tiny dog that just like to lay about on a human or in the human's purse, etc., but rather to point out that many border collies are not the type to be content to behave like a typical lap dog most of the time, if that makes sense. In other words, people who have an affinity for lap dog types aren't likely to enjoy a border collie's energy, but border collies themselves may well like to sit in a person's lap. I have several who do....

J.

I think the lap dogs wording isn't meant to be literal, as in a little tiny dog that just like to lay about on a human or in the human's purse, etc., but rather to point out that many border collies are not the type to be content to behave like a typical lap dog most of the time, if that makes sense. In other words, people who have an affinity for lap dog types aren't likely to enjoy a border collie's energy, but border collies themselves may well like to sit in a person's lap. I have several who do....

J.

Yes, this. When people say, "Border Collies aren't lap dogs" it's not because they aren't affectionate or want to be by us -- it's so that people don't get the impression that BC will be satisfied to sit in your lap all day and do nothing else. That is what most people mean by the term lap dog -- low energy breeds that don't need much in the way of exercise.

Secret and all of my foster borders that have come through have been huge lap dogs in the sense of crawling into my lap at the end of a long day when we are crashing on the couch. Not a chance of that happening earlier in the day when we are full of energy, though! B)

• 2 weeks later...

^ Love the "run-by licks"!

My Kit, AKA Roo, has an uncanny way of knowing whenever I get down on the ground, in any room of the house, or any part of the property, and will come trotting up and shove her nose in my face. You're right. Border collies are the best.

D'Elle

yes, they are lap dogs (in the literal sense)...Dex is the most affectionate dog I have owned (or been owned by). TV time in the evening always means time to sit in someone's lap. If I lay down on the floor he will sit on me until I get up...or lay beside me with his feet in the air (belly rub please).

If there is a storm he tries to climb behind my back or on my shoulders on the back of the couch and bury his head. "Protect me Dad!".

never a dull moment :D

Archived