BC Boards

Toby's back leg

He is 4 years old, will be 5 in July. He is super active, very agile with springs in his legs. Like most BC's he can jump about 5 feet straight up with no trouble (glad I have 6.5' high fencing). This morning he had trouble just going up the stairs. When he tried to jump on our bed he couldn't get up, the bed is about 2.5 ft off the ground. He made it down the stairs but even had trouble getting on the couch.

He seems off, almost depressed. Maybe he's upset that he hurt himself? He was totally fine last night and yesterday we played normally just like everyday. When he is lying down he is on his left side, like he is favoring is right like. I palpated his whole leg to see if something was sensitive, but didn't get a reaction.

This is the first time he's had any sort of injury in the 2.5 years we've had him. What is your time frame on bringing him to the vet? I know this could resolve itself in a day or two, but I don't want him uncomfortable.

Sorry for the essay. Thanks gang!!

Aw...poor guy!

I typically wait a day to see if there's improvement before calling the vet, but since this was so sudden and clearly causing him serious mobility issues, it probably wouldn't hurt to call your vet and see if they think they need to see him right away. It also sounds like you're seeing a behavior change which can indicate something more than a soft tissue injury. Not trying to scare you, but if I were you, I'd call my vet and get some professional advice.

Please keep us updated. I hope it is nothing serious.

If it is only mobility issues (vs. an internal issue), I would wonder if he strained his ileopsoas muscle (i.e. a groin muscle) since he sounds like he can really push his body. I agree with testing for TBDs, but since his problem was sudden onset (overnight), TBDs wouldn't be high on my list.

Jovi

I disagree -- TBD are classic for coming on out of the blue. At least in my experience.

That is the frustrating thing about TBDs. The symptoms can be so variable and can present differently. And because of this, it is always a good idea to test.

Jovi

I got home a bit ago and he seems more stiff now than this morning :(

He did want to eat though which is good, he's one of the biggest chow hounds I've ever met, but I had to bring the food to him. I didn't give much, just enough to see if he wanted to eat.

The vet seemed to think TBD as well. We shall know soon.

Thanks for letting us know. I know he will be fine.

This was a learning experience for me. Over the past 20 years, I have had 2 dogs with Lyme and one with erlichiosis. Their symptoms came on gradually in the sense that once a diagnosis was reached, I thought back to their behavior in the preceding weeks and could pinpoint some symptoms that were not obvious at the time, but in hindsight, were indicators of a TBD. In fact, with one dog who was only slightly 'off', the vet was sure it was something else, but ran the TBD test at my request.

I also have had Lyme and remember that even though I had some slight symptoms at first, there was nothing significant. It was only after 7-10 days that I became sick enough to see a doctor.

Jovi

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Buster bounced back in just a few days. Like Toby, he was great in the morning and screaming in pain in the evening. Our Work and Family Time (Time OOO -up to 5 days) is also good for pet emergencies, I think I use most on the animals.

I'll take a look into that. Y'all weren't kidding about bouncing back quickly. Just now he was up in my office on the 2nd floor asking for dinner. He didn't even attempt to go up the stairs yesterday and he already has about 75% of his energy back.

Archived