BC Boards

How to teach a dog to play

Scooter was always up for a game of ball, hide and seek, you name it--we really didn't have to "teach" him. So, when we got Daniel we bought him a few toys that we thought he might like. All dogs like to play, right? Wrong.

Even though he's not a youngster, he has plenty of energy and doesn't seem to have any physical ailments that would keep him from chasing a ball or frisbee.

I've heard that rough collies don't have much prey drive, so is that the problem? I'd like to find something he'd like to do (besides dance). :rolleyes: How do you teach a dog to play? :blink:

I don't think you can, honestly. My Nelly was the same way. She would not play with a ball, a toy, or other dogs. It took a year before she played with another dog - now she'll play with the foster dogs. But only in the back yard, and as long as they aren't chasing a ball...If they're chasing a ball, then the thought of play is completely gone. If I even hold up a tennis ball, she immediately goes into the "crouch" and starts trying to work the foster.

She still won't play with toys, or a ball, or a frisbee, even if it's just the two of us by ourselves.

I don't really think you can teach a dog to play...Although I'll definitely be checking back here to see if anyone has had success trying to teach their dog to play!

Adri

I think a lot is the individual dog, and a lot is how that dog grew and learned as a pup. I've had a couple that had no interest in playing ball as a youngster but turned on to the game as they grew, probably because the other dogs displayed so much interest and fun in playing. One or another just seemed to be "ball dogs" from the get-go.

If you don't have another dog to set the example, maybe you can generate interest by being enthused about the ball (or other toy) yourself.

And maybe you have a dog that thinks that "all play and no work" makes for a dull dog. Either way, ENJOY!

When I rescued black jack he didnt know how to play so I just started trying to play bow with him in the yard and I just had fun with his toys and after about two or three times he started to pick it up.

I am also having the same dilemma. Our shelter dog does not know how to play. He showed no interest in toys or balls. He doesn't even know how to play with other dogs. I think he'd like to join in...but he really doesn't seem to know how. He also will try to "work" the dogs when they chase ball or toy, and we've had to correct him for that. I think it's his way of trying to join in, but the other dogs do not appreciate it...especially when he grabs at them to "bite" them. So it's like we're working against ourselves.

However, I have managed to teach him to retrieve a ball. I found a ball that had a treat hole and unscrewed. Put some treats in there and let him learn to unscrew it and get the treats. Once he was doing that, I tossed the ball and he chased it to bring it back and unscrew it. Once that was down pat, I substituted a treat for relinquishing the ball (before he could unscrew it.) We have now graduated to chasing other balls and bringing them back to receive a treat. However, I don't think we've graduated into "playing" yet. It is more a learned or conditioned action. But he does seem to enjoy it.

I "taught" Secret to play. It was a LOT of work and took a lot of determination on my part. She had NO interest in toys, tugging, fetching, or any other type of playing. If you asked her, "playing" meant chasing other dogs or ripping all of the stuffing out of toys. That was it.

Play means a lot to me. Not only do I find it to be a bonding experience for myself and the dog, but I also prefer to use it as a reward in agility training because training with toys *usually* results in more drive (something else that Secret was sorely lacking).

It took a good year of solid, steady work before Secret really turned on to toys. Now, though, she will tug, chase, fetch & catch pretty much anything I offer her (unless stressed -- play drive is not quite high enough yet to trump stress). Mind you, she was actively playing before that year mark that I mention, but more to please me than because she actually thought it was the best thing ever. Now she's a crackhead about all forms of play.

I achieved this by doing several things. I acquired an ARSENAL of toys of every type imaginable. I got a Tug-It tug trainer that could be stuffed with yummy food to encourage tugging, I got toys that squeaked, fuzzy toys, toys with different textures, bouncing toys, fleece tugs, rope tugs, jolly balls, soft frisbees, hard frisbees, etc. If someone recommended it, I got it. It was a little frustrating because what Secret would play with seemed to depend on the day. One day she would love a toy and the next she wouldn't even look at it, so I was constantly rotating what we played with.

Secondly, I began to follow portions of Susan Garrett's "Ruff Love" program. I will admit that following the program in its entirety was not going to work with my lifestyle, but I was able to implement many parts of it and I feel it was very helpful. I removed all free access to toys -- nothing but chew things available in the house -- to up the value of these things when Secret was with me. If she wanted to play with toys, she was only going to get them by interacting with me.

I hand-fed at least one meal per day, usually doing something like trick training. This upped the value of ME and made me the deliverer of good things. All good things come from me -- no free reinforcement.

I kept her crated in the house while I trained or played with the other dogs. When they were done, Secret came out for a solo play session. If she blew me off I put her back in her crate for 15-20 minutes and then tried again, usually with a different toy. In the beginning if we got one or two minutes of good quality play time then that was GREAT. I rewarded her by letting her play with the other dogs then. Solo play went on for a very long time -- It was probably a good year before Secret would play in the company of other dogs, choosing instead to lay down and chew on the ball or frisbee instead of fetching. Now, though, she is able to maintain a game of fetch while trading off with several other dogs.

The other note I should make is that if you want to teach your dog to play, your energy MUST be genuine. You can not go into a play session half-assed and expect your dog to be excited about chasing a ball if they have little to no interest in that activity. You have to put all of your energy into making it the MOST FUN GAME IN THE WORLD. That often involves YOU moving and running around more than the dog at first. I made a complete ass of myself to try to motivate Secret into playing -- thank goodness for 6' privacy fences, right? :P

Are all dogs going to be this difficult to teach to play and require such effort? Thank god, no -- But that's what I went through with Secret and the results were great. There were times when I thought she was just going to be a dud her entire life and never find joy in playing, but she has completely turned around. It was a lot of work and most people probably don't feel that play is THAT important to put that much effort into it, but I felt it was. I'm pretty sure most people just think I'm nuts.

The other note I should make is that if you want to teach your dog to play, your energy MUST be genuine. You can not go into a play session half-assed and expect your dog to be excited about chasing a ball if they have little to no interest in that activity. You have to put all of your energy into making it the MOST FUN GAME IN THE WORLD. That often involves YOU moving and running around more than the dog at first. I made a complete ass of myself to try to motivate Secret into playing -- thank goodness for 6' privacy fences, right?

That is a great post on teaching play! I especially agree with the above and for me at least, I find that most difficult because I'm a pretty low key person.

I have five dogs and a few years ago, I got the first dog I've ever had that doesn't play with toys - at least with people, and it's been a bit frustrating trying to figure him out. It's not lack of prey drive (you should see him on chipmunks) - it's not lack of interest because he will play by himself every now and then and toss a toy or a rawhide chip around. But trying to engage him in a game with the toy and me usually ends up with him just watching me or interacting with me. He will even occassionally chase someting and bring it but - any energy on my part shuts him down. In fact his default behavior is to watch me for some clue as to what to do. His first two years are a mystery but I suspect due to certain behviors he's had a lot of punishment. It gets a bit frustrating though he will work avidly for treats - there are times when playing would be so good and would get his mind off worrying about what's going on around him. I did order a mesh tug that you can fill with food (haven't tried it yet) - I'll have to see where we end up with that :)

Hope :)

Thanks everyone. Good suggestions, all. We're still trying to coax him to play, but not giving up. I too feel that play time is an important part of bonding with a dog.

I've been doing my share of acting like an idiot, trying to get him excited about recess (unfortunately, we don't have a privacy fence!) :rolleyes: LOL.

I suspect part of the problem may be his first few years. I was told when we adopted him that he came from a breeder/puppy mill in Eastern Ohio that was eventually shut down. From the paperwork I received, it looks like he might have been about two years old when he was first taken in. Sometimes he'll walk past his bone, pretending to ignore it, then turn around and pounce, doing a play bow and messing with it for a few seconds, so I think he has potential. ;)

On another note, he was barking a few days ago and wouldn't stop, so I followed him down the hall, arms folded, not yelling, but telling him sternly "No bark." He sat down in front of the door and as I unfolded my arms, he pulled back and flinched, like he was expecting to get hit. It broke my heart. I know we've never gotten physical with him since we've had him and never will. I don't think he'd react that way if he hadn't experienced some form of physical punishment before. :( That may explain why he sometimes shies away from being petted; he follows us around constantly and wants to be in the same room with us, but lying a few feet away.

So, we're obviously still learning about one another; learning to trust, learning who we are and what we're about. I wish he could talk! :rolleyes:

But trying to engage him in a game with the toy and me usually ends up with him just watching me or interacting with me. He will even occassionally chase someting and bring it but - any energy on my part shuts him down. In fact his default behavior is to watch me for some clue as to what to do. His first two years are a mystery but I suspect due to certain behviors he's had a lot of punishment. It gets a bit frustrating though he will work avidly for treats - there are times when playing would be so good and would get his mind off worrying about what's going on around him. I did order a mesh tug that you can fill with food (haven't tried it yet) - I'll have to see where we end up with that :)

Tessa is similar. She plays with toys with the dogs, but when I get involved, she stops. I haven't really gotten into trying to teach her to play with me yet - we have been focusing on things that are easier for her, like heelwork and basic sport skills (LOL!! :D But actually, that is easier for her!)

I am taking a tricks class right now and one thing that we are working on a lot is the dog picking stuff up. She wouldn't put her mouth on anything at first. Nose touch, yes. Pick up, no.

Anyway, I have one of those mesh things and I brought it along with a meatball. This week I just sat with her and held the mesh with the meatball in it and let her sniff it and she did finally start to mouth it, trying to get to the meatball. I clicked and gave her some meatball (I had more in a bag). By the end of the class she was not only putting her mouth on the mesh when it was offered, but she was putting her mouth on a plush toy! I was very proud of her progress!!

I think once she gets past some of her initial inhibitions, she will start to play. At least that's where I think we are going!! I'd like for her to learn both retrieve and tug.

I'm taking it slow with the mesh toy, but I think it is going to do the job. The key with Tessa seems to be to go one step at a time. When she is good and ready to actually play, she will. Until then, little pieces like mouthing it are good progress.

I hope it works out for you, too!!

Seeka wouldn't play when we first got her. While we were at a dog event I noticed she really fixated on the lure from the lure course. We tried her and she went 13 seconds her first go (well below average for this course). When we got home DD busted out one of Cerb's tuggies and started wiggling it on the floor. After about five minutes, she was dragging DD across the floor. Take home for us: If you notice something the dog likes, try to build on it.

When I was 10 years old, we adopted a young adult mutt Lucy (1-2 yrs old when we brought her home). Prior to joining our family, she had been a stray that was likely hit by a car. She had the good fortune of ending up with a vet who did rescue who fixed her up and adopted her to us. In the 14 years we had her, the only 'toy' she ever showed the slightest interest in was aluminum cans. She loved to run around the yard crunching them in her teeth and batting them around with her paws. She'd wouldn't fetch, cared nothing for real toys or other objects, and she wasn't big on doing tricks for fun either.

We played in other ways though. She would rough house with me a little bit when she was young and we did our own backyard version of agility (though I knew nothing of agility at the time). We'd run around the yard together and she'd jump over and go under things. She liked to play chase/'catch me if you can', complete with fake-outs where she'd let me get within 1-2 feet of her and then she'd take off running with a big smile.

Don't give up on toys and pay close attention to what objects do interest your dog (even if they aren't toys...its a start), but also don't push the issue too much. Find other ways that you can play (not necessarily with a toy). Also, if you haven't already and if you can, find other dogs that like toys that your boy can learn from (play date).

Earlier I had posted how our shelter dog does not know how to play...with dogs or toys. The closest we got was him running after and "working" the dogs and when we corrected that, it stopped all his momentum. We've had him six months and it seemed that we'd never get past the "conditioning" of retrieving the ball for food. However, last night the dogs were having a round of ball playing and once -- just once -- he actually went and picked up the ball and brought it back. Well, we hooped and hollered and we all got excited. Now, it never happened again last night, but it gives me great hope that it can still happen again in the future. So don't give up.

I agree with the post re a play date and having Daniel around dogs that are playing. Rusty watches and you can tell he wants to join in, but he just doesn't know how to do it yet. I now think that laying the foundation of retrieving the ball with food is actually helping him to sort this out.

I liked art2184's post regarding other ways to play, and I plan on working on some of those play behaviors.

Tessa is similar. She plays with toys with the dogs, but when I get involved, she stops. I haven't really gotten into trying to teach her to play with me yet - we have been focusing on things that are easier for her, like heelwork and basic sport skills (LOL!! :D But actually, that is easier for her!)

I am taking a tricks class right now and one thing that we are working on a lot is the dog picking stuff up. She wouldn't put her mouth on anything at first. Nose touch, yes. Pick up, no.

Anyway, I have one of those mesh things and I brought it along with a meatball. This week I just sat with her and held the mesh with the meatball in it and let her sniff it and she did finally start to mouth it, trying to get to the meatball. I clicked and gave her some meatball (I had more in a bag). By the end of the class she was not only putting her mouth on the mesh when it was offered, but she was putting her mouth on a plush toy! I was very proud of her progress!!

I think once she gets past some of her initial inhibitions, she will start to play. At least that's where I think we are going!! I'd like for her to learn both retrieve and tug.

I'm taking it slow with the mesh toy, but I think it is going to do the job. The key with Tessa seems to be to go one step at a time. When she is good and ready to actually play, she will. Until then, little pieces like mouthing it are good progress.

I hope it works out for you, too!!

I hadn't thought of using a clicker for tugging - that might be interesting. The only thing I worry about is the click marks the end of a behavior. I may fool around with this. Currently I'm doing clicker training with Ruger anyway and he's slowly picking up on it. (it's great indoor winter training)

I do have to go slow with him because he easily gives up and defaults to watching me if he's at all stressed. It's kind of sad because at the same time, I'm working with my 1 yr old Akita mix (a most interesting girl) and she is beside herself trying to get the clicker to "work" for her. Unlike Rue, Rosalee has never had anything bad happen to her - the world is her oyster. She's never been punished for trying and she likes to problem solve. Rue needs low stress, quiet training - if I try to jolly him - he gets worried! Go figure :) I'm going to get some meatballs though - that might work better in the mesh than the hotdogs I was thinking of.

I hadn't thought of using a clicker for tugging - that might be interesting. The only thing I worry about is the click marks the end of a behavior. I may fool around with this. Currently I'm doing clicker training with Ruger anyway and he's slowly picking up on it. (it's great indoor winter training)

So, to build the duration of the hold, and later the actual tug, you delay the click until after the duration. Tessa's next step, which we started working on last night, is to keep her teeth on the object for a full second. I will then build up to two seconds, etc. I click when she has had it in her mouth as long as I want her to. She lets go immediately after I click.

It's the same principle that you use to build any duration with the clicker.

I do have to go slow with him because he easily gives up and defaults to watching me if he's at all stressed.

I would probably work with simpler shaping exercises before moving to putting teeth on something. Tessa really wasn't ready for it until recently. I started with things like Doggie Zen and whiplash turns - things where she didn't have to put much effort into getting the idea. I waited until she was offering things confidently before I started working on things where she really had to come up with something different to try.

Oh, and targeting (hand targets, target stick, wooden spoon, round targets, etc)!! Targeting was actually the first thing she got the hang of and I find it a really nice thing to start with a dog who is unsure about shaping.

It's kind of sad because at the same time, I'm working with my 1 yr old Akita mix (a most interesting girl) and she is beside herself trying to get the clicker to "work" for her.

Although, sometimes different dogs do have a different style of offering things. Some do like to take more time to think. Some need more reinforcement before they start to get into it. Some need very low stimulation while working on shaping. Some benefit from shaping with props.

When I consider the four dogs I've done a lot of clicker work with, they each have their own style.

I know what you mean about the effects that their background has on them being sad. When I think of the incredible temperament that Tessa has and I think about how extreme her treatment must have been to have had the effect that it had on her must have been, I feel horrible for her.

But on the other hand, it is what it is and I can't change it. And I thoroughly enjoy watching those effects slowly fall away as she gains confidence and, for lack of a better way of saying it, as she finds herself and who she is supposed to be.

I do tend to think, though, that her style of thought and offering in shaping would have been similar to what it is even with a good background. She likes to think, then think, and then think some more, and then try something. She gets reinforced and she thinks about it. She likes some time. When she gets the hang of something and doesn't need to think about it any more, she works quickly. That's just her.

Unlike Rue, Rosalee has never had anything bad happen to her - the world is her oyster. She's never been punished for trying and she likes to problem solve. Rue needs low stress, quiet training - if I try to jolly him - he gets worried! Go figure :)

Actually, none of my dogs like to be "jollied" while they train. They like well timed markers and reinforcers. They like sincere praise (they can all tell the difference between sincere praise and "put on" praise).

I'm going to get some meatballs though - that might work better in the mesh than the hotdogs I was thinking of.

It might. As she worked on the meatball, a little came through the mesh and I think that motivated her to keep trying. Unless you smash a hotdog, it won't do that.

You definitely can teach a dog to play.

How much work it is depends on the dog, but it can be done. When Jester came to me he did not know what a toy was and had no play energy at all. I started out with a rag tied into a ball with very yummy smelly things inside. I tossed it to another person, a few feet away. She caught it, and called Jes to her, and gave him a good treat when he came. Then she handed him the "ball", which he took because it smelled good, and I immediately called him to me. When he came, I gave him a treat, which caused him to drop the "ball", and then I immediately picked it up and tossed it back to the other person.

We repeated this a few dozen times and Jes of course started bringing the "ball" back to me. Then we graduated to a real ball. I kept this up for about 2 months. Twice a day we would go somewhere open and I would throw the ball and every time he brought it back he'd get a treat. One day the lightbulb went off in his head, and from that day forward his reward was just for me to throw the ball again. He has been in love with the game of fetch ever since; it's his favorite thing, and he will bring back anything you throw. He has been known to bring me a leaf, lay it at my feet, and stand back expectantly. :lol:

I taught my foster dog, Kelso, to tug. He came from a puppy mill and had spent his first 2 years in a cage with virtually no human contact. It took months, but now he loves to tug.

I think it just takes patience and persistence. Every dog has the "play gene", in my opinion. It just has to be awakened.

:-)

D'Elle

• 3 weeks later...

So, to build the duration of the hold, and later the actual tug, you delay the click until after the duration. Tessa's next step, which we started working on last night, is to keep her teeth on the object for a full second. I will then build up to two seconds, etc. I click when she has had it in her mouth as long as I want her to. She lets go immediately after I click.

It's the same principle that you use to build any duration with the clicker.

We ended up with unexpected results on the tugging so I'm not sure where I am going to go with it...

in fact, teaching Rue to play tug with a hotdog stuffed mesh tug toy might better be termed an "abysmal failure" :( . Did he tug? Oh yes. In fact, it took little time to get his interest and to clamp down on it.

Then came the first problem.

"It's mine" (sez Rue) "Give" say I.

His eyes get hard.

I offered Rue a trade...upped the anti and sprinkled food on his muzzle. That seemed to break the spell and he "remembered" how to give. I should have learned from that...but oh no - had to try again. We kept it to short enthusiastic sessions...until the toy started to tear and we had a mash of mesh and hotdog slosh in his mouth half torn off....and was he going to "give"?

Hell. No.

I was frantic thinking he's trying to swallow the mesh and it's almost ripped off. Finally, I very calmly convinced him to give (gave him a jackpot)and chucked the half ripped off mash of mesh into the trash. Two lessons: the toy is meant for timid tuggers and two, food-tugs are not a good idea for potential resource guarders. Oh, and three - we probably need to work on trade some more. Sigh....

I would probably work with simpler shaping exercises before moving to putting teeth on something. Tessa really wasn't ready for it until recently. I started with things like Doggie Zen and whiplash turns - things where she didn't have to put much effort into getting the idea. I waited until she was offering things confidently before I started working on things where she really had to come up with something different to try.

Oh, and targeting (hand targets, target stick, wooden spoon, round targets, etc)!! Targeting was actually the first thing she got the hang of and I find it a really nice thing to start with a dog who is unsure about shaping.

That is a really good idea - I backed up with Rue and simplified, and it seems to be helping a good bit in developing his confidence. We've been able to do a target and he rapidly offered and continued a paw touch (pounce) on it (a 4" ceramic tile). We've got spin and a palm touch. I can also get him picking up a dumbell now - but it's not "play" to him. I found some soft stuffed balls we're going to try.

Although, sometimes different dogs do have a different style of offering things. Some do like to take more time to think. Some need more reinforcement before they start to get into it. Some need very low stimulation while working on shaping. Some benefit from shaping with props.

That's interesting you should say that about props. One of my other dogs is very prop-oriented. We have a wooden box they can hop onto and sit, and I'm using it to teach her to wave (because she can't quite reach me so she stretches out a foot and I can c&t). Right now the prop is the cue but we're adding a hand signal and then will transition off the box.

When I consider the four dogs I've done a lot of clicker work with, they each have their own style.

I know what you mean about the effects that their background has on them being sad. When I think of the incredible temperament that Tessa has and I think about how extreme her treatment must have been to have had the effect that it had on her must have been, I feel horrible for her.

But on the other hand, it is what it is and I can't change it. And I thoroughly enjoy watching those effects slowly fall away as she gains confidence and, for lack of a better way of saying it, as she finds herself and who she is supposed to be.

I do tend to think, though, that her style of thought and offering in shaping would have been similar to what it is even with a good background. She likes to think, then think, and then think some more, and then try something. She gets reinforced and she thinks about it. She likes some time. When she gets the hang of something and doesn't need to think about it any more, she works quickly. That's just her.

That is such a good way to put it. We have to work with the dogs we have and appreciate what they have to offer. I love watching Rugers confidence develop over the almost two years I've had him now :) One thing I found is he likes gentle praise - not overwelming body contact (he shrinks away, his tail goes down). It also works best if we have short sessions interspersed with games like "touch" or "spin" or jump up on my arm. He's a worrywart - convinced the sky is going to fall on him if he's wrong.

We ended up with unexpected results on the tugging so I'm not sure where I am going to go with it...

in fact, teaching Rue to play tug with a hotdog stuffed mesh tug toy might better be termed an "abysmal failure" :( . Did he tug? Oh yes. In fact, it took little time to get his interest and to clamp down on it.

Then came the first problem.

"It's mine" (sez Rue) "Give" say I.

His eyes get hard.

I offered Rue a trade...upped the anti and sprinkled food on his muzzle. That seemed to break the spell and he "remembered" how to give. I should have learned from that...but oh no - had to try again. We kept it to short enthusiastic sessions...until the toy started to tear and we had a mash of mesh and hotdog slosh in his mouth half torn off....and was he going to "give"?

Hell. No.

I was frantic thinking he's trying to swallow the mesh and it's almost ripped off. Finally, I very calmly convinced him to give (gave him a jackpot)and chucked the half ripped off mash of mesh into the trash. Two lessons: the toy is meant for timid tuggers and two, food-tugs are not a good idea for potential resource guarders. Oh, and three - we probably need to work on trade some more. Sigh....

That is a really good idea - I backed up with Rue and simplified, and it seems to be helping a good bit in developing his confidence. We've been able to do a target and he rapidly offered and continued a paw touch (pounce) on it (a 4" ceramic tile). We've got spin and a palm touch. I can also get him picking up a dumbell now - but it's not "play" to him. I found some soft stuffed balls we're going to try.

That's interesting you should say that about props. One of my other dogs is very prop-oriented. We have a wooden box they can hop onto and sit, and I'm using it to teach her to wave (because she can't quite reach me so she stretches out a foot and I can c&t). Right now the prop is the cue but we're adding a hand signal and then will transition off the box.

That is such a good way to put it. We have to work with the dogs we have and appreciate what they have to offer. I love watching Rugers confidence develop over the almost two years I've had him now :) One thing I found is he likes gentle praise - not overwelming body contact (he shrinks away, his tail goes down). It also works best if we have short sessions interspersed with games like "touch" or "spin" or jump up on my arm. He's a worrywart - convinced the sky is going to fall on him if he's wrong.

I just realized I know you IRL! LOL...I'll send you PM.

Have you ever seen Denise Fenzi's stuff on playing? She has some great stuff using various types of toys like the Frenzy to develop interest. I saw her get some "won't play ever" dogs at a seminar to chase it. She makes it move like prey (wiggles on the floor, moving erratically) and this turns on the chase for many dogs. She has a good article on her site and sells toys.

link

Two lessons: the toy is meant for timid tuggers and two, food-tugs are not a good idea for potential resource guarders. Oh, and three - we probably need to work on trade some more. Sigh....

Knowing that you need to work on trade isn't a bad thing. It will be important to have that down before toys become high value items.

Sometime else that we did just the other day was to teach our dogs to push something. It was easy to teach. We just put a treat under a container and let the dog offer pushing the container out of the way to get the treat. I clicked that a couple of times, allowing the treat under the container to be the treat for the click. Once Tessa was pushing the container aside, I would toss a different treat for her to get her away from it and then let her run to the container and push it out of the way. She found it to be a fun game.

I'm thinking it would be fun to teach her to push a ball to me as a game. Eventually I could roll it away, she could run out and stop it and roll it back.

I just realized I know you IRL! LOL...I'll send you PM.

Have you ever seen Denise Fenzi's stuff on playing? She has some great stuff using various types of toys like the Frenzy to develop interest. I saw her get some "won't play ever" dogs at a seminar to chase it. She makes it move like prey (wiggles on the floor, moving erratically) and this turns on the chase for many dogs. She has a good article on her site and sells toys.

link

Thanks! No, I have not seen her stuff on playing - thanks for the link, it sounds very intriguing. This is the same person who did the video you posted on FB isn't it?

Knowing that you need to work on trade isn't a bad thing. It will be important to have that down before toys become high value items.

Sometime else that we did just the other day was to teach our dogs to push something. It was easy to teach. We just put a treat under a container and let the dog offer pushing the container out of the way to get the treat. I clicked that a couple of times, allowing the treat under the container to be the treat for the click. Once Tessa was pushing the container aside, I would toss a different treat for her to get her away from it and then let her run to the container and push it out of the way. She found it to be a fun game.

I'm thinking it would be fun to teach her to push a ball to me as a game. Eventually I could roll it away, she could run out and stop it and roll it back.

Teaching push sounds interesting - I can see how that could lead to some fun stuff with balls....hmmmm.....I like that idea :D

Thanks! No, I have not seen her stuff on playing - thanks for the link, it sounds very intriguing. This is the same person who did the video you posted on FB isn't it?

Yep. She is really someone who I enjoy learning from. She has a great blog, and also posts on a couple of obedience lists. She comes to my area regularly for seminars.

You should come visit and go to one soon!

B)

Archived