BC Boards

Where to go to meet people with quality border collies?

Hello! New to the board, and have been seriously considering adding a border collie to the family. I don't have livestock, but I run and hike and compete in agility with my younger dog (labrador retriever) and my older rescue mixed breed is mostly retired from all of that and is a queen couch potato. I've purchased a purebred puppy (the labrador retriever) in the past from a breeder, and am familiar with the standard red flags and concerns. This board has been great for learning about some border collie specific concerns; I had no idea sport-bred and working-bred dogs were so different before I came here.

I've been searching the forums and reading through old threads and frequently see the suggestion to attend herding trials to see border collies at work and try talking to their handlers if one is potentially looking for a puppy. Does anyone have any suggestions of good herding trials in the central North Carolina area for a first-timer like me? Ideally, I am hoping for something that I could see from the Triangle area of NC without needing a hotel stay.

I'm not 100% decided I want an 8-week old puppy, and am actually leaning toward rescue of an adolescent or youngster. I'm aware of Carolina Border Collie Rescue and hope to be approved to adopt through them if the right dog came along. I am a bit worried that finding a smooth-coated young dog that is energetic yet biddable, has no health or major behavioral issues, and also cat-friendly (or at least cat-safe) may be a tall order. However, you never know, and I'm not in a hurry; finding the right dog is most important.

If anyone has other suggestions specific to the North Carolina area, I'd be very appreciative. Thank you!

edit - apologies, I should have put North Carolina in the subject line, but am not able to edit it now.

Lucky you - you're in a GREAT area for attending trials! But I'll let one of the North Carolinians on these Boards fill you in on some specifics, as (alas) I live too far away to make it easily. (A lot of the North Carolina members are off at one trial or another this weekend, so be patient if you don't hear back from someone right away).

don't forget phoenix rising bc rescue in s.c. i was on both sites this morning ( cbcr and prbcr) and they might have just the dog for you. i've been ogling smoothies also!

I am a bit worried that finding a smooth-coated young dog that is energetic yet biddable, has no health or major behavioral issues, and also cat-friendly (or at least cat-safe) may be a tall order. However, you never know, and I'm not in a hurry; finding the right dog is most important.

Hehe - have you seen my 'qualifications'? Yours seem like you'll accept any old dog when we compare :)

But I'm holding out, when your willing to wait you'll be sure to find the best dog for you!

Welcome! :) Lots of NC people here, so hopefully one of them will be along soon to talk about the local trialing scene.

I am a bit worried that finding a smooth-coated young dog that is energetic yet biddable, has no health or major behavioral issues, and also cat-friendly (or at least cat-safe) may be a tall order.

Thank you for considering rescue. What you're looking for may, or may not, be a tall order. I venture to guess not as tall as you think. I just happen to have two such dogs in my house right now! One rescued at 3-4 months and the other just under a year. Thought I'd give you some encouragement that you can find what you're looking for. :)

Hi eajones,

Welcome to the boards! And thank you for considering a rescue!

If you don't mind me suggesting, you should go ahead and fill out the applications for CBCR & PRBCR now instead of waiting until you see a dog you think might fit. Both organizations require a home visit but because rescues 'share', you will only have to have one HV done. And don't be afraid of stating what you are looking for in a dog on the application and during the HV. Finding the right match is important for both you and for the dog.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, there aren't a large number of USBCHA trials in NC. The two big ones are Ben Ousley's NC State Championship, which is held over Memorial Day weekend, and Dean Holcomb's trial at Rural Hill in November, for which Mark has posted a link. You can certainly meet some great handlers if you go to Rural Hill. If you're willing to travel a little farther (sorry, but the Triangle isn't a hotbed of trialing), you can drive up into VA and find several trials next month. The Fall Fiber Festival and Montpelier SDT takes place the first weekend in October in Orange, VA (and you have the fiber festival as a bonus activity). The following weekend is Edgeworth, one of the most prestigious trials in the east, and certain to be well attended by local handlers and those from further afield. It's in Gordonsville, VA. The third weekend in October has the Lexington SDT, held at Broadview Ranch in Lexington. All of these could be a day trip--it'll just be a sort of long day! Then again, they may not be that much further than driving to Huntersville from the Triangle.

Welcome to the boards. You're also welcome to make your way up to Oxford if you just want to visit a farm or two, see dogs working, and talk dogs!

J.

Rural Hill is easy to find and not far off I-77 at the Huntersville exit. It's a very enjoyable trial. Dean is always gracious and walks up and down the fence answering any questions "newbies" may have. Well-mannered dogs are welcome and I always take Jack----he sits frozen in one place, intently studying what's going on on the field, not making a sound. I think he gets more out of it than I do!

Jody and I went to Rural Hill last year and I'm planning on going again this year. It is fun to watch the spectator dogs. Jody watches so intently! It is like he's the scorekeeper at the last round of the World Cup. He was exhausted last year and slept all the way home.

Archived