BC Boards

BC mixed with ?

I frequently visit the boards but don't usually post. Ive had my Fame since she was 10 weeks and she now just turned 1 on the 22nd. I rescued her from the SPCA so dont know anything about her mom and dad. Ive posted on here before when she was a few months old to see if you guys knew what she was mixed with but i think she was still a bit young to tell. Ive heard from people that she could be Aussie, Queesland heeler, and even terrier. Maybe shes just a mix of herding dogs. I live in central CA so their arent many herding dogs around and you guys probably know a bit more than I do.

She definitely has the personality of a border collie!

Shes about 38 lbs and 19-20''

Thanks for your help!

167.jpg

177.png

126.jpg

179.jpg

057.jpg

172.png

I love her no matter what she is. I just would like to know :-D

What a really neat-looking dog she is! Cute, shiny, spunky, mischievous, and obviously loved!

Kudos to you for adopting her and giving her a lovely life.

As for central CA, there probably more Border Collies of all persuasions than you might guess - some working on farms and ranches, others as pets and performance sports dogs.

I'm in central CA, and there are quite a few BC's here, especially in the Agility arena. She looks like she may have some australian cattle dog to me, but she couldnt be any cuter! Love the water fountain pic, it really shows her personality! ;)

Just looked up a picture of the austrlian cattle dog and her face and ears look like them!

Im in the central valley in CA. Are there agility arenas in this area? Ive always wanted to try that with her plus its difficult to find another dog that can match her crazyness. It would be nice for her to meet other BCs!

Thanks everyone for the response! She loves to jump up onto that drinking fountain. Its in the park right by my house and we go there pretty much every day. I dont think my neighbors really like her doing that but i think its hilarious!

I'm in central CA, and there are quite a few BC's here, especially in the Agility arena. She looks like she may have some australian cattle dog to me, but she couldnt be any cuter! Love the water fountain pic, it really shows her personality! ;)

I too wondered about a possibility of Australian Cattle Dog I looked at a few of your pictures--but agree she could easily be 100% Border Collie. She is absolutely beautiful! LOVE the drinking fountain picture!

I sure wouldn't have doubted you if you'd said she was a purebred Border Collie. Does she seem to have a BC herding instinct? Crouch, using her "eye", etc? To me, that tends to be something that's more BC than any other trait and often doesn't seem to transfer to mixes--of course many "purebred" BCs these days aren't bred from working stock and have dilute instincts.

She sure is beautiful!

I would think that if she had ACD in her she would be more square in build. Most ACDs I've met are short and, well, square. She looks like she could be purebred to me. Of course you'll never know for sure, but I think you're safe calling her a border collie if anyone asks. If the big, pointy ears are reminding people of ACDs, just check out the dogs in my sig photo, all purebred border collies.

J.

I've seen quite a few cattle dogs and none have had the lean build of your dog. They are heavier, thicker dogs. To me I don't see anything but border collie in her.

I think Fame is just beautiful. And she looks like she has a great personality to go with her looks!

If ears are a definition of cattle dog then 2 of my 3 would qualify as they have ears that I'm sure they can pick up radio stations with.

Wow, she is really cute. I don't see cattle dog in her. They're usually stocky, blocky dogs and Fame has the leggy, thin build I associate with border collies. I wouldn't guess there's anything but border collie there!

If she were mixed with a cattle dog, odds are a) she'd be smooth coated (since short is dominant to long hair, and cattle dogs don't have long hair and B) she would have spots. In fact, I believe it was here that a geneticist told us that all first generation cattle dog mixes have spots.

Anyway, I'm not sure why you think she is mixed with anything at all. She looks exactly like a border collie to me, and nothing else. In fact, she looks an awful lot like Jenny, an ABCA registered TDBCR alumni:

2561504784_78d5e0938f_z.jpg

And yes, "big ears" don't mean cattle dog. Right, Dexter?

5483238192_2e1e15cf69_z.jpg

ETA - for some reason, I can never remember that the letter 'b' followed by a bracket means a smiley face wearing sunglasses on these boards. So please ignore the bespectacled smiley.

RDM

If she were mixed with a cattle dog, odds are a) she'd be smooth coated (since short is dominant to long hair, and cattle dogs don't have long hair and B) she would have spots. In fact, I believe it was here that a geneticist told us that all first generation cattle dog mixes have spots.

The short coat does make sense. I'm not convinced on the spots though--my dog's a first generation ACDxBC cross and didn't inherit the spots from the purebred ACD father. Well, actually, she does have one spot--one black spot on the white on her under-belly, only visible when she rolls over, so maybe that does prove the rule?

Here's my ACDxBorder Collie first generation cross (4 months old, so hard to guess on adult build, and she's still experiencing ear confusion, gay tail and such):

1196652472_TpKvw-M-1.jpg

Again, I think the lovely dog in the original post could well be purebred BC... but I'm just not sure about all ACD mixes having spots first gen.

Not posting to argue, but more to learn. :) My genetic knowledge is very, very finite.

My guess would be all BC, though I'm no expert. There are quite a few cattle and sheep operations in central CA, and at least from my browsing of Merced/Modesto/Stockton/etc. animal control websites, there are lots of Border Collies in the shelter system :( In any case, she's gorgeous, and I love that water fountain photo!

#1: theres lots of herding dogs in central California

#2: she could be all BC, she could be a mix, but I say shes 100% adorable regardless

#3: do you live in Bakersfield? That park with the fountain looks very familiar to me (I used to live there)

Anyway, I'm not sure why you think she is mixed with anything at all. She looks exactly like a border collie to me, and nothing else. In fact, she looks an awful lot like Jenny, an ABCA registered TDBCR alumni:

2561504784_78d5e0938f_z.jpg

ETA - for some reason, I can never remember that the letter 'b' followed by a bracket means a smiley face wearing sunglasses on these boards. So please ignore the bespectacled smiley.

RDM

Wow, Fame really looks like Jenny in that picture! The pose, the look shes giving, and her coloring!

Just looks like a Border Collie to me. You know how to find out for sure? Start her on sheep. :D If it works like a Border Collie it is a Border Collie...

I live in Manteca. Its a town in the central valley. I would love to get her around sheep!! I just dont know anyone in that kind of farming. Ive thought about calling different sheep farmers to see if they would let her run around but thought it would be an awkward phone call ending with a NO.

If any of you know anyone in my area that would let my little one do that, please let me know!

Thanks everyone for responding! Im now going to call fame a border collie instead of a border collie mix.

If any of you know anyone in my area that would let my little one do that, please let me know!

Check San Joaquin Valley Border Collie Association, Northern California Working Sheepdog Association and Redwood Empire Sheepdog Association. Suzy Applegate and Anne Mock are in Plymouth, the Spencers are in Elk Grove, and Bill Berhow is in Zamora. I'm sure are quite a few more I don't know of. Good luck!

Check San Joaquin Valley Border Collie Association, Northern California Working Sheepdog Association and Redwood Empire Sheepdog Association. Suzy Applegate and Anne Mock are in Plymouth, the Spencers are in Elk Grove, and Bill Berhow is in Zamora. I'm sure are quite a few more I don't know of. Good luck!

Excellent, someone beat me to it. :) Check out those folks, they are all in your general area and any of them could do an instinct test and give an honest opinion of your dog. I know Suzy Applegate personally, and take occasional lessons with her.

As for me, I think Fame looks all BC! The refinement she shows just doesn't suggest much of anything else, in my book. Both Aussies and Cattle Dogs tend to be blockier and she actually looks much like my little Gael, in build, except with a rough coat.

And she's entirely adorable! :)

~ Gloria

Archived