BC Boards

The Collie Walk

BUAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Oh, my gosh, I am laughing so hard I've got TEARS in my eyes!!! BUAHAHAHAHA! :D :D :D :D :D

Okay, I need a video camera. My dogs when they're with a friend's dogs do something ... sort of similar, only not so much of the slow-mo.

I love this! May I share this on my Facebook? Too, tooooo funny!

Cheers ~

Gloria

P.S.

What song/album is your music from? I really like it!

It's funny, yes but are you sure it's a game? At our house, that stalking behavior at our house starts hard feelings between the boys. I don't allow it.

Liz

I can't say for sure, but they way the break away and run off it seems like some game. I don't allow it either, I know what you mean.

I can't say for sure, but they way the break away and run off it seems like some game. I don't allow it either, I know what you mean.

JMO but it looked to me like the 3 on the left were in a down-stay (put there by the camera person?), and then were released. Dogs can learn to stalk other dogs who are in a controlled position, about to be released. The anticipation builds as they wait for the human to create, with the release cue, that burst of energy from the dogs being released.

I don't allow that either, but I did think the tri's expression at around :40 was pretty priceless.

B.

I haven't owned multiple dogs to comment on the social dynamics, but it really cracked me up how the second dog got up and started stalking in time with the first, without looking back or showing any other sign he knew someone was right behind him.

It's funny, yes but are you sure it's a game? At our house, that stalking behavior at our house starts hard feelings between the boys. I don't allow it.

Liz

My dogs do it when visiting a friend's dogs. It looks almost exactly like this, (minus the slo-mo) and it's always in fun. As someone described below, it's the building tension of a release that usually creates that. ;)

Cheers ~

Gloria

This is how my dogs normally play(unless a toy is involved)! Its always like they are waiting to see who will break first under pressue. And Troy-boy will follow step for step with Cressa when stalking my sister border collie. Who is in turn stalking back. Then they release themselves into a racing game which then become the stalking game again. How they all stay in-sync(know its the worng spelling but brain isn't working right) with each other is beyond me.

I did almost die of laughter when watching it.

Just curious why wouldn't you let your border collies stalk each other?

This is how my dogs normally play(unless a toy is involved)! Its always like they are waiting to see who will break first under pressue. And Troy-boy will follow step for step with Cressa when stalking my sister border collie. Who is in turn stalking back. Then they release themselves into a racing game which then become the stalking game again. How they all stay in-sync(know its the worng spelling but brain isn't working right) with each other is beyond me.

I did almost die of laughter when watching it.

Just curious why wouldn't you let your border collies stalk each other?

I have two male pups - littermates - who are now twenty months old and have no scars between them :). I learned very early on (thanks to help from this board) to not allow them to do anything that would raise competition levels between them.

They can romp and chase all they want, as long as their tails are up and wagging and they're happy but when their tails go down and their necks flatten out in that particular posture, it's a whole different sort of behavior - they're in "working" mode and neither likes being worked and they're quite serious in their attempts to direct the other, though it's never come to a fight.

I'm hoping once they get some more training hours, they'll give up this particular hobby all together as boring now that they've seen the real thing (sheep). I've seen Ladybug interrupt them and collect Brodie (who is more prone to this behavior) as if to say, "Look it! Forget that nonsense. THIS is how you play!" And then she'll lead him around on a romp.

Ladybug and and my late Scotty used to play what we called "Sheep and Wolf" all the time -- sadly he was always the sheep, though he was twice her size. :). There was never any harm or foul between them, but it was an entirely different dynamic. He was a rescue BC from pet lines.

Liz

Archived