BC Boards

Last American Cowboy, update

I've been taping it and it's facinating to watch the big ranches. Last night they were all putting up hay. I loved watching the hay slide. Never seen anything like it.

As far as the dogs go, you rarely see them working then when you do it doesn't really look like any training at all. mostly just run with the horses. Last week it looked like they were using a few to help gather some cows but really doesn't look like trained dogs, just dogs doing their thing.

I love being able to tape it for later!

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that they really don't use their dogs ... at least while the cameras are rolling. Maybe these dogs have to bite to move cattle and the producers are scared that PETA might go crazy if a dog even as much as touch cattle.

What has me thinking is the dogs just walking along with the people and/or horses while cattle is near. All my dogs are focused on stock when they are near. It takes everything I have to have them NOT work stock. Is this because my dogs don't get to run around all day around stock ? Is it bad breeding ? Is it bad training ?

Dave S

www.outrun.co

I've been taping it and it's facinating to watch the big ranches. .......t really doesn't look like trained dogs, just dogs doing their thing.

I love being able to tape it for later!

I bet they have been discouraged from messing with the stock unless needed, which is good :rolleyes:

I agree that they really don't use their dogs ... at least while the cameras are rolling. Maybe these dogs have to bite to move cattle and the producers are scared that PETA might go crazy if a dog even as much as touch cattle.

What has me thinking is the dogs just walking along with the people and/or horses while cattle is near. All my dogs are focused on stock when they are near. It takes everything I have to have them NOT work stock. Is this because my dogs don't get to run around all day around stock ? Is it bad breeding ? Is it bad training ?

Dave S

www.outrun.co

I've seen the Stucky dogs working but they don't seem to be formally trained. There was the scene where they were moving cows across a road and one decided to turn back. The dogs were trying to head the cow. There were other scenes where they were moving the herd and the dogs were on the perimeters tucking cows.

Yes I saw some work out of the dogs but mostly on the Galt Ranch they are riding around on the back of the 4 wheeler. I don't think there's any formal training either but they are using them for some stuff.

I am impressed with how they are doing this reality show. When the guy had a truck wreck they talked about it but never said what exactly happened. Kept the show on target. THen when the had the auction they never gave totals. I think this is rare form for reality shows.

I watch thinking how I"d love to do somthing like that then realize how much work it is and change my mind.

I'd love to send my son to the Galt ranch. He is a good worker but needs to learn how hard work can be so he appricates how good he has it. Secretly I'd love to see him fall in love with the life.

...or are they worked so much that they are calm and relaxed. I think my dogs are OCD because they only get a little bit of work every day .. not enough to calm them down.

Dave S

I bet they have been discouraged from messing with the stock unless needed, which is good :rolleyes:

Archived