BC Boards

How to de-mud 5 border collies w/o a bath!

So the snow has melted, replaced by squishy mud that gets everywhere.

It's a losing battle.

BUT....

a 15 gallon stocktank on the deck with a heater. take the heater out put a dog in and clean just the feet!

I haven't seen cleaner feet in months!

Looks really funny to have clean feet but dirty dogs.

I forgot Mick isn't a tri foot. he's a b/w with clean feet now!

I even climbed in with my muck boots on...now they're clean from the bottom up!

Plus it didn't put Raven into a seizure so we WIN! Maybe a whole bath in the tank will do for Raven.

She has been seizure free for over a year but hasn't had a bath since the last one. (she had 3 seizures close together down in AR and they all seemed related to the bathtub)

She did start into one, the other day. Got tangled up in a towel. I grabbed her stood her up and held her tight. Her eyes rolled back into her head and she was starting to go all stiff and jerky but then all of a sudden she came back around before it got full fledge.

Can't figure out what the deal is. So it's stocktank baths for her from now on!

So the snow has melted, replaced by squishy mud that gets everywhere.

It's a losing battle.

BUT....

a 15 gallon stocktank on the deck with a heater. take the heater out put a dog in and clean just the feet!

I haven't seen cleaner feet in months!

Looks really funny to have clean feet but dirty dogs.

I forgot Mick isn't a tri foot. he's a b/w with clean feet now!

I even climbed in with my muck boots on...now they're clean from the bottom up!

Plus it didn't put Raven into a seizure so we WIN! Maybe a whole bath in the tank will do for Raven.

She has been seizure free for over a year but hasn't had a bath since the last one. (she had 3 seizures close together down in AR and they all seemed related to the bathtub)

She did start into one, the other day. Got tangled up in a towel. I grabbed her stood her up and held her tight. Her eyes rolled back into her head and she was starting to go all stiff and jerky but then all of a sudden she came back around before it got full fledge.

Can't figure out what the deal is. So it's stocktank baths for her from now on!

I just let mine dry off and the mud just falls off.

During mud season I put a kiddie pool in front of the back door. Dogs have to walk through it to get into the kitchen, where they then encounter a trail of towels. :rolleyes: The backyard is for potty breaks only, so they don't get super filthy, just a little muddy on their feet.

I like that idea....but feet aren't my only problem....:rolleyes:

robinmud.jpg

Robin has discovered that the pond is now free of ice, so if I catch him after his first or second cannonball and lead him to the house he's pretty clean.

He's also gotten so used to getting sprayed off, he's jumping into the bathtub on his own now >) Of course, he likes water in all its forms. Brodie does well too....

Liz

A kiddie pool won't work for us. It's still really cold here at night so I need the stock tank heater to keep the ice out. Since it's on the deck I can keep their feet mud free till we go in.

Yes they look just like Robin but at least it falls off in one place instead of big mud prints all over the house.

Dew LOVES water but bathing is not the same. Neither is the stocktank but she's dealing.

It's so funny to see them with clean feet and muddy bodies.

I just love the mud crumbles that Raven saves in my bed. SO gald I'm not phobic about getting in a crumbly bed. I just brush them out and voila it's almost clean. Helps to have brown sheets allot!

IF it's for summer bathing or cooling off get a bigger one. Probably 30 gallons(same size I use for the sheep) would be good but this is on the deck and I'm not filling it real full. In the bigger one they can lie down and they're almost neck deep!

Yeah...I have a creek right down the field, the muddy field which we'd have to climb back up to get home. Plus it's pure snow melt and we're at the top so that's pretty darn cold for bathing right now! But's it's the best in the summer. Nice and shady, runs all year.

A few years ago I bought the scrub-a-dub tub from Foster and Smith. Its easy entry for the dogs, came with a hose and shower head, plus has a drain. I have it down stairs and when in use I let it drain into the sump pump well. It works great and my dogs don't mind getting into it. They all get an undercarriage wash and dry off in the basement and come up stairs when they are nice and dry.

A heated stock tank sounds like it works just as well.

Samantha

scrub-a-dub tub from Foster and Smith

Sound expensive!

The little stock tank only cost 20 bucks and I had the heater so it was a cheap way to go.

But I'd love to have a walk in type thing, poor old dogs don't like it when I have to pick them up.

What do you connect up to on the scrub tub?

I just bought a tub attachment cause the shower attachment is to short to reach Pach, old guy who doesn't like me wiggling him around in the tub.

Pach goes home this thursday to my daughters back in MO

I love the old guy but Mick and him are such a pain together, I'll be happy to see him go home!

He get's his "real" bath Wed. night, we leave the next am early so things will be frozen in the morning and he won't have a chance to get dirty before he goes home to his real momma!

Of course I haven't told him any of this, cause he and Mick have to ride in my small car for 15+ hours together. It's not going to be a fun ride. Cept for Dew, who's a poo disturber and will enjoy seeing the boys not get along!

I'm seeing the solution to my evolving plan to get some kind of a shower for the dogs in the mud room....as it is now, I've got to traipse them from the mudroom halfway through the downstairs to the bath If I got a stock tank from Tractor Supply, with the drain fitting...I could set it up like the expensive Foster and Smith tub.... all I need now is a cooperative DH...but for about $50 he might do it.....just to get the critters out of his whirlpool tub! He's already agreed to send hot water to the outdoor faucet.....

Liz

yes the tub was a bit pricey and I went back and forth about getting it. I decided with five dogs, one having bad hips and another one who wasn't getting any younger that I would get it. I think it was about $120. when I bought it, I'm sure the price has since gone up, but I have used it so much that its been worth it. I no longer have to towl dry off in the garage, and then run one dog in at a time through the house to the bathroom and lift them into the tub. All my dogs hated the house bathtub. It is so much easier for Belle and Annie to get in the doggie tub.

As for a hose hook up, the drain has a regular hose connection, I just took an old hose and shortened it up. The shower hose that it came with, hooks up to the sink faucet above the sump pump. As long as you have a water spiget or faucet to hook up to you're good to go.

Samantha

We spray with the hose year-round. They love it when they are hot and don't like it when it's cold out, but it works for us. I got a horse stall mat to put down by the outside spigot to give a good surface with traction and without mud, and use a spray head that gives a pretty firm shower for hosing off. They know the routine - Celt goes right there when I say it's time to clean up, Megan is a bit dainty about it, and Dan is getting the hang of it (but this southern California surfer dude dog is still not sure about the whole idea).

I'd like a hot/cold adjustable frost-proof spigot at the house to make it easier on all concerned, but it hasn't happened yet.

Has anyone seen this? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvideo/...t-cleaning.html

I think it's cruel to the dog. Poor thing.

Didn't look cruel to me. Other then the dog obviously wasn't trained to stand nicely in the 'box' it's like sending your dog outside to potty in pouring down rain - not that big of a deal. However, that said, I don't see how in the world that would get any of my dogs clean. It seems very superficial when dogs really need deep cleaning.

Didn't look cruel to me. Other then the dog obviously wasn't trained to stand nicely in the 'box' it's like sending your dog outside to potty in pouring down rain - not that big of a deal. However, that said, I don't see how in the world that would get any of my dogs clean. It seems very superficial when dogs really need deep cleaning.

Maybe not cruel...Ijust know it would probably scar Lacee for life! She hates water as it is, I can't imagine putting her in something like that. :rolleyes:

I'm so glad I read this thread.

I thought I was the only one who ( a) had a trail of muddy paw prints from the back door to the water bowl to the crates, ( b ) had a house full of back-yard dust (it's covered), and ( c) had sand/grit in the bed.

I feel better now :rolleyes:

I'm so glad I read this thread.

I thought I was the only one who ( a) had a trail of muddy paw prints from the back door to the water bowl to the crates, ( b ) had a house full of back-yard dust (it's covered), and ( c) had sand/grit in the bed.

I feel better now :rolleyes:

No, it's not just you. My backyard is pretty much just dirt. Too many trees for grass to grow.

Archived