BC Boards

Dogs and raisins

Just made some oatmeal raisin cookies (yeah, its cold and snowing AGAIN!!!)...and was getting ready to share the bounty with the pups when my husband said that he'd seen a sign in the vet's office that raisins are harmful to dogs...

Has anyone heard of this?

Liz

Just made some oatmeal raisin cookies (yeah, its cold and snowing AGAIN!!!)...and was getting ready to share the bounty with the pups when my husband said that he'd seen a sign in the vet's office that raisins are harmful to dogs...

Yes, though I don't know how much is needed to have a harmful effect. Unlike some other things (e.g. chocolate) they apparently don't know the cause, but it is generally stated that both grapes and raisins are harmful and I just avoid both.

Yeah , its true . Raisins , grapes , onions etc....All depends on quantity though. But why take a chance when there is so many other things to give them for variety. Yogi LOVES apple , kiwi , baby carrots , pretty much everything I eat , he will eat , but the others wont even touch apples , let alone a kiwi. :rolleyes:

Yes, though I don't know how much is needed to have a harmful effect. Unlike some other things (e.g. chocolate) they apparently don't know the cause, but it is generally stated that both grapes and raisins are harmful and I just avoid both.

I thought it was the tannin in the skin.

Here is a link to a good thread on what can be fatal to your dog...

http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.p...24&hl=toxic

ETA: link info

I had just gotten done reading an article about that when Maya was about 12wks old. A couple weeks later I gave my 2yr old a box of raisins and one minutes later he was in the living room with the box and they were all eaten (by the puppy). I admit I just induced vomiting (she emptied her tummy fully) and monitored her (I was a vet tech in college) probably should have taken her to the vet but I tend to wait on that sort of thing unless I really know there is a good reason.

No more raisins in this house, with young kids it is just too risky. I worry more about raisins than I do chocolate.

I had never heard that. I also had a dog that ate grapes apparent never with an ill effect. Still beter safe than sorry. No more grapes, chocolate too.

I do wonder about this though. My mom had a Komondore when she was young that adored grapes. They would eat them by the pound, and no harm ever came to him, he lived to 14. Of course he only liked them peeled, so maybe it is something in the skin. The vets that I talked to didn't seem to know why they were poisonous either, but that just seems bizarre to me. I mean, it's a grape, not a moon rock. We should be able to id every compound in it and determine the msd of each. I guess nobody bothers, no money in it.

I hope everything is ok Liz. I have heard that raisins, chocolate, etc. are bad for dogs. Although my vet has told me that only dark chocolate is bad for dogs, not milk chocolate, because dark speeds up their heart to much. Not that either one is good for them. I know because of an experience where a certain BC (black jack) :rolleyes: got into a cup cake package and ate both of them. Thankfully they were just cheap chocolate ones and not the expensive dark chocolate ones.

Hmmm, I gave Bess 2 cherry tomatoes the other night while reading this board... she is ok today. Guess that's a no no, although my cocker spaniel did, and my sisters dogs all steal cherry tomatoes off the vine...but only the very best and ripest ones of course...stick their noses right in between the slats of the fence and select the most select! Course, my cocker spaniel also stole peppers from the garden too...solved that by planting a bell variety(the kind he liked) that was called mexi-bell...outside was plain bell...but the ribs and seeds had fire in them! Well, Bessie babie... no more cherry tomatoes for you girlie!

There are so many new pesticides and chemicals out there now , I wont eat any fruit unless its scrubbed clean.

My Granny lived till 86 and ate whatever she wanted whenever she wanted. had beautiful skin up till the day she died , not a wrinkle on her face. What do you think has changed in the world ?

This generation must carry a alcohol skin disenfectant in his/her pocket where ever they go.

I remember the dogs back when I was real young , they ate whatever they found or were fed and never bloated or had a bone lodged in their throat.

Its all the water some people say , maybe it is , maybe its not the food at all. :D

Pets can contract the H1N1 form us, the poor things ! :D

And people say, look how far we've come , but really they should say , look how close we are to self extermination. :D

How the heck did I get on this subject ? :D

I used to feed my horse garlic as a natural fly repellant and gave some to the dogs for a flea repellant back when I had a horse. Now its right next to grapes and raisens on the "toxic to pets" list.

Whats next ? :D

Babble babble babble... :rolleyes:

The vets that I talked to didn't seem to know why they were poisonous either, but that just seems bizarre to me. I mean, it's a grape, not a moon rock. We should be able to id every compound in it and determine the msd of each. I guess nobody bothers, no money in it.

No - noone does know why at the present level of knowledge, nor is it certain why some dogs are unaffected by large quantities and some killed by a very few. Best not to take the risk IMO.

Google the subject and you'll see that there is some research on it but it is inconclusive at the moment.

Pam

Tomatoes are a reg part of my dogs diet, espcially my older dog. I mix canned diced tomatoes in with brown rice and collards and other green veggies. The canned tomatoes are very high in vit. C. I started doing this with a dog that had cancer, and have continued with my other dogs. Believe it or not, I can really tell a diff. when I feed the tomatoes and the greens to my old girl, she seems to be able to get around a lot better (at first I thought it was my imagination) but I took her off of it for a bit, and then put her back on, and even my husband could tell a marked diff. in her ability to get around. I also feed garlic, and that was actually reccomended by our vet. oncologist.....

Betty

Although there has been no scientific study that raisins are toxic, most veterinarians have found that grapes and raisins may cause acute renal failure. Depending on the pet would depend on the quantity and level of kidney damage it may cause. It may be reversed but in my opinion 3-5 days of costly hospital bills is just too much to let my pup enjoy any raisins or grapes.