BC Boards

Both dogs took off today

Got to the same area that we always go to, and let Tobey off like always but this time the leash slipped out of my hands and Izzy got free as well. They disappeared over the hill and didn't come back for over 30 minutes. When I got a hold of Izzy, Tobey ran away again. This has never happened and both have been responding to the whistle extremely well and I whistled till I was out of breath.

I never let Izzy go for fear her recall isn't strong enough and she proved me right.

Does anyone want to add a BC and a BC/Mix to their household?

Tim

Sorry to hear of the mishap. Glad they are both ok. No, don't want another dog. Are you just venting or looking for suggestions? :rolleyes: If it helps any, Quinn is the first dog I haven't been able to get a rock solid recall on and he's 4. His recall is good but not great and I need to do regular tune-ups.

Got to the same area that we always go to, and let Tobey off like always but this time the leash slipped out of my hands and Izzy got free as well. They disappeared over the hill and didn't come back for over 30 minutes. When I got a hold of Izzy, Tobey ran away again. This has never happened and both have been responding to the whistle extremely well and I whistled till I was out of breath.

I never let Izzy go for fear her recall isn't strong enough and she proved me right.

Tim

Awwwww, C'mon.... You know you don't mean it. It happens to everybody sometimes. My push-button trained Doberwoman who never put a foot wrong once broke a down-stay next to me to go after a cat. She ran across the street not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES in pursuit of that cat. I was doing a get-acquainted session with a potential training client at the time. Needless to say, I didn't get the job. It was the one and only time that the (5 year old) dog broke a down-stay and refused a recall. But I could cheerfully have ground her up and fed her to the hogs.

Awwwww, C'mon.... You know you don't mean it. It happens to everybody sometimes. My push-button trained Doberwoman who never put a foot wrong once broke a down-stay next to me to go after a cat. She ran across the street not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES in pursuit of that cat. I was doing a get-acquainted session with a potential training client at the time. Needless to say, I didn't get the job. It was the one and only time that the (5 year old) dog broke a down-stay and refused a recall. But I could cheerfully have ground her up and fed her to the hogs.

No, I don't mean it. I was being sarcastic. :rolleyes: It was pretty funny though how dirty the were. Tobey has white legs and they were a deep brown....I can only imagine where they went.

Part of my frustration was that there is a main road not far from where they went out of site, by not far I mean about 600 yards give or take and there are horse stalls just off the road so my fear was they were heading for that and they got hit.

Instead they went the other way and were romping around in about 80 acres of forrest.

My other concern was Izzy getting her leash caught on something and being able to get free. She wears a front connect harness which gave me some relief but I thought she might get caught where I could never see her.

Tim

Tim

They just need more training with distractions added in. All of a sudden it was more rewarding for them to run off then come (and maybe the light bulb clicked that could run) - in fact they may have been so engrossed in chasing each other that they hardly heard you.

It took about 2 years to get a very reliable recall on Kipp.

Oy! That's frustrating, but when I saw that you were the poster, I was afraid they got out on route 113! The park is much better. :D

Glad they're fine. That is an incredibly irritating thing, just waiting and hoping your dogs will come back. Embarrassing, too, if anyone else sees yoU! :rolleyes:

I once had a beagle come with me and Buddy on a walk at the Mill Pond woods - he must have been with me for 45 minute to an hour. When we got back to the entrance, there was a man patiently standing there, waiting, with a leash. Apparently, he was well-familiar with how his dog joined other people's tromps through the woods.

Mary

Oy! That's frustrating, but when I saw that you were the poster, I was afraid they got out on route 113! The park is much better. :D

Glad they're fine. That is an incredibly irritating thing, just waiting and hoping your dogs will come back. Embarrassing, too, if anyone else sees yoU! :rolleyes:

I once had a beagle come with me and Buddy on a walk at the Mill Pond woods - he must have been with me for 45 minute to an hour. When we got back to the entrance, there was a man patiently standing there, waiting, with a leash. Apparently, he was well-familiar with how his dog joined other people's tromps through the woods.

Mary

Beagles tend to teach patience....or endless frustration. They eventually circle around back where they began but it can take a long time.

Liz

More than once, I've threatened to sell the dogs, (or give them away, some days I don't care if they go to a good home, as long as they GO!) and buy a picture of a dog.

But, I get over it, remind myself that they are mostly very lovable and loving and that it's more an operator malfunction than anything.

Ruth

I used to think Cody was the best behaved dog there ever was- but put a foot of snow on the ground and he totally blows me off. This dog that I could easily move around to my wish, keep within defined boundries - galloped off into the foot and half snow like a maniac. Thank goodness no cars around- but he thought running top speed in the snow was the coolest. :rolleyes: Good luck!

Exactly Mary. I thought they would try and go play with the horses up by 113 and then run in the road. I kept looking for the flashing blues so I could go collect the remains. They actually went the other way and were on the trail that goes behind all those soccer fields.

Oh, right I left out the part that a woman with a BC grabbed Izzy's leash for me. No lie.

Tim

WHAT, ARE THE STARS IMPROPERLY ALIGNED OR SOMETHING?!!! This morning Vala left the field where we always go (only two very small 2 foot holes in fence - she went through one). She came back when she saw how upset I got for leaving the fenced area, but it completely freaked me out. She has never done that before. We had to stop our usual routine and do some serious boundary training (thanks, Desertranger! it works great, she gets it) and then go home. It's back to the long line again for a while.