BC Boards

I thought I killed Jazz lastnight

bcnewe2

So Jazz turned 13 yesterday. (just realized that as I type) she's been aging quickly lately. A few months ago she blew out her knee, to old for surgery. Then she started dribbling pee on herself. I thought it was old lady bladder so didn't get to worried. Then I saw that it was more than dribbling. So I decided to get her checked out. Even if it is old lady bladder I know there are meds out there that can help. So I did my homework and went to the vet yesterday.

She was diag. with a low grade UTI so she got a shot of Baytril and some to take home. Then the vet told me that she is having old lady bladder too, and there's a decongestant (sp?) that has shown good results of tighting up the muscles and helping the issue. I had read about it last week.

So we buy a huge bottle of Prion and off we go.

Vet said start with 2pills 2xs per day and cut back as we can. I was so happy to have a way to help her that I didn't think much beyond giving the med a try.

I gave her 2 pills as soon as we got home. With in 20 minutes she's snoozing away. I'm not worried, she's good as snoozing. BUt now it's time to get up and go potty. She can't get up without falling over. I figure she's stiff and we'll walk it off. Nope, she can't walk straight.

She stayed passed out all day, wouldn't eat dinner (she NEVER misses a meal) and wouldn't drink any water.

I decided that I wasn't taking her back to the vet and we'd deal with the consiquences as they came, she's old and it's upsetting for her to have to go anywhere much less the vet.

I went to bed worried that she wasn't going to make it. I felt so guility that I had done this to her. I don't blame the vet. It was protocal but I blamed myself for not starting slowly to see what side effects she might have.

I didn't sleep, just laid there worrying about her, finally got up and laid next to her. At about 3:30 she sat up and had a drink of water, so I finally was able to fall alseep. She's much better today but not totally. She wouldn't eat her raw meal this morning either but settled on some warm watered down kibble and a private walk outside to do her business. She's not peeing on herself anymore and is able to stand up again, so I guess it did work but I just feel horrible!

I know 13 isn't that old but she's out of horrible BYB lines. She is the perfect example why dogs should only be bred after proven they can withstand the test of the fields and time. Poor old girl. Her head is on my feet as I type. We're gonna make it but what a lesson I learned at her expense.

Happy Birthday old girl, I pray she gets a few more years to keep me on my toes or pee on my feet. I don't care what she does, as long as she lives a while longer.

Nothing wrong that I can see however Kristen feels the same as I do when I do something I feel is wrong towards one of the dogs.

I understand Kristen *hugs*

My incontinent old (12.5 y.o.; 38 pounds) girl gets *1/2* of a 50 mg Proin tablet twice a day, that is, 50 mg a day total. What the vet prescribed seems awful high to me, unless she's a huge girl. Even when we had Willow on high doses of prednisone and she was having leaking problems as a result, we upped her Proin dose to only 1.5 tablets a day, or 75 mg. I think maybe you should consult with your vet and see if a lower dose wouldn't be more appropriate, or just drop her to a much lower dose and figure out yourself the minimum she needs for control of the incontinence. I've never noticed any side effects from the PPA with Willow.

J.

I didn't do anything but put the 2 pills in her mouth that caused these issues. Or at least that's what I thought I did last night while I was feeling sorry for her and guility and sorry for me.

So they are 50 mg chewable pills. Maybe the vet was confused with the dosage? She weighs about 40lbs right now, give or take depending on her cerealmilk and snack intake. But right now she's at what I feel is a good weight for her.

I didn't even look at the bottle, I just did what the vet said to do.

So I'm thinking that 1/2 pill or even 1/4 pill 2x's per day is what the correct dosage for her might be. But she's still not acting right. So I'm at this moment not wanting to give her anything else (not now but later) if I don't have to. Let's pray it was the UTI causing the leaking and she'll be back to herself soon.

I tried to like this vet. He's the only "farm" vet around these parts that is even somewhat affordable. But I've decided he's not cheap (I spent 175.00 for yesterdays visit) so I'm going to change vets to someone I feel might be more expensive but better for the dogs. I will keep this guy for the sheep but I'm changing to a vet I feel that I can talk to a bit more than this guy. He keeps acting like it's money that is making me treat Jazz in the manner that I have been but that's not it. I have charge cards for emergencies and have never balked at using them but I also am not into running to the vet for every little thing. Or huge heroic measures to keep an old dog living. Does that make sence? He wanted me to keep Jazz on Deramaxx for the rest of her life for her blown out knee. Only pay his price for the drug. When I asked about him giving me a prescription as I found it way cheaper on line his tech told me he has a 15$ prescription charge...WTF....I think that's just outragous! No I don't want to put Jazz though surgery that happens to be expensive but it's not the price, it's her age and the ability I have or don't have to rehab her. I've also choosen to take her off the dermaxx as I never saw improvement but I have her on glucosomine and see a huge difference. When I told him that he just made a face at me like that really couldn't be the case. It is. It's the dif between her walking all limpy or her walking almost normal. And I've experiemented with not giving it to her and then giving it to her. I really do see that much a difference.

Ok so now I'm just ranting...sorry but she's still not really moving around but she can at least get up if she wants.

It's dinner time now. I'm going to make hers candle lit on the good china. The rest can have a picnic outside!

Thanks for the hugs DR and thanks KelpieJulie for not understanding, it's what my family says but I'm still feeling stupidly guility.

And Thanks Julie P for the proper dosage information...if I choose to give it to her again, it'll def. be at a lower dose. It did work.....

OK so DH just had some icecream...he brought her in the lid of the container...she's feeling good enough to lick that! Clean clean clean...she lives!

I didn't do anything but put the 2 pills in her mouth that caused these issues. Or at least that's what I thought I did last night while I was feeling sorry for her and guility and sorry for me.

So they are 50 mg chewable pills. Maybe the vet was confused with the dosage? She weighs about 40lbs right now, give or take depending on her cerealmilk and snack intake. But right now she's at what I feel is a good weight for her.

I didn't even look at the bottle, I just did what the vet said to do.

I also have a dog on Proin, 40 lbs and getting the same dose as Julie's dog. I would DEFINITELY let your vet know about it, it may be a tech filled it for him and made a mistake and it's very important to make them aware.

I'd keep the Deramaxx on hand for bad days but if the glucosamine is working, great! I have two 15 year olds right now- Rhett is deaf and incontinent, Leary hears fine but is senile and having major hind end coordination issues. But for the most part, they are happy dogs. I give Leary Metacam when she's having a bad day, one big bottle has lasted me 3-4 months.

It's dinner time now. I'm going to make hers candle lit on the good china. The rest can have a picnic outside!

:rolleyes: Thank doG she's responding. So hard to see them in distress. Prayers for continued improvement.

Pam

What does the Metacam do for her? I do and will keep the Deramaxx but only for when we need it.

It was the vet that told me the dosage and I asked 2x's about the right amount and for how long so I'm pretty sure I didn't make a mistake on what I heard. I will callt him but not now...I think someone would end up yelling and I don't need to do that right now.

ETA...we were posting at the same time Pam...thanks for the prayers

Here's what a website says:

"Proin is available in 25 mg, 50 mg and 75 mg chewable tablets. Dosage of proin generally depends on the body weight of the animal. However, a dose of 12.5 mg to 50 mg can be administered three times daily, depending on weight. The usual dose of Proin in dogs is 0.4-0.8 mg/pound every 12 hours. Over dosage can bring about symptoms of high blood pressure, increased heart rate, seizures or coma. Do not increase or reduce the dosage without veterinary prescription."

So... yeah... 100 mg 2X per day seems to be about 3 to 6 times the normal dosage. A 40-lb dog would need between 16 and 32 mg 2X per day. I'd seriously call this vet. Yikes.

Mary, who trusts NO ONE

Holy cow, Kristen! I'm so sorry to hear you and Jazz have had a rough 24 hours! It sounds like it wasn't your mistake at all, it was your vet's. You're such a good mom to stay with Jazz throughout the night, and I'm so glad to hear she's doing a bit better now. I'll be thinking good thoughts for her to get completely back to normal quickly.