BC Boards

Clicker outrun

sheeptramp

Wasn't there some Barbie Collie trainer who tied tennis balls to sheep to get her dog to look at them?

I'd say be careful about that - I've spoken to a couple of older folks with walkers who use tennis balls on the bottoms of the walker legs - causes all sorts of issues around Border Collies.

Back to the topic at hand, instead of peanut butter, mint jelly, dog treats, and corn, you could get an outrun by tossing a tennis ball to the other side of the sheep. You'd get a fetch, one way or the other.

Hmmm Julie do you think the pb would would work? I've got a head hunting pup I'm working with :rolleyes::D

To answer the op - I use a wool coated clicker that self operates and even moves of it's own accord. I can ship you 3 for a rare deal of $999.99 each. Sorry no credit, cash only.

And don't forget to add peanut butter or other treats to the backsides of the sheep to make sure the dog follows 'em on down on the fetch.... :D

J.

Can you imagine what might happen if you have a really ball obsessed working BC and really tie a tennisball to a sheep's butt?

Shudder....brain fry

I doubt a working dog would even see it - even if you said "look, Ball, *here*".

A couple years back I had a guy show up with a really ball obsessed border collie that had cattle and wanted help getting his dog to work. After getting totally frustrated with his dogs lack of ability to even see the sheep he pulled a ball out of his pocket, chucked it through the sheep, the dog was off, ran right through the flock to get her ball, never saw the sheep. He finally got her working when he chucked the ball into the herd of cattle, the cows did not move, she grabbed a nose when one sniffed her ball. I'm told that the expession on her face when she suddenly "saw" the cow was priceless, light bulb went on in a big way. From that day on she was a working dog, and she's tough too, she is used daily on his cattle operation, all the ball obsession has now been transferred to livestock. She still is ball obsessed (stick too), but give her a flank command and the ball is dropped and she is off around the cattle....she still don't see sheep though...kinda weird.

Deb

LOL...You guys are very funny. You use operant conditioning in training your stockdogs all of the time. Many of you just don't know it.

I am a clicker trainer. My dogs will do a 600 yd. outrun and then go get me a cold Beer out of the ice chest. :0)

Suzanne

Sure we use it. We use all *4* parts of operant conditioning every single day. It works so much better than just using the 1 part that's sweet and pretty in print.

LOL...You guys are very funny. You use operant conditioning in training your stockdogs all of the time. Many of you just don't know it.

I am a clicker trainer. My dogs will do a 600 yd. outrun and then go get me a cold Beer out of the ice chest. :0)

Suzanne

Suzanne

Ah, so that's how it's done. The ice chest is behind the sheep, he grabs the beer and while he's returning to you (recall) he pushes the sheep your way (aka fetching)!

How do you train a "Clicker"

Ah, so that's how it's done. The ice chest is behind the sheep, he grabs the beer and while he's returning to you (recall) he pushes the sheep your way (aka fetching)!

How do you train a "Clicker"

You put it in one hand and every time an involuntarily movement creates a 'click' the other hand feeds you a piece of cheese.

You put it in one hand and every time an involuntarily movement creates a 'click' the other hand feeds you a piece of cheese.

Dang...if that's the way it's done I will require a "hi value treat" say Chocolate instead of cheese :rolleyes: That may persuade me to clicker train!