BC Boards

weird eating habits

Hi All!

My 3.5 Y/O Francisca has had an unique eating habit since we got her: She just eats in the night. I was always told that we should have her eat in the morning, so that she wouldn't have low sugar issues, but that has been impossible. We give her 2 servings per day: The first one she eats it at 8-9 pm, and the second one 3-4 am! I had never had a dog with such habits.

We have tried already skipping the late night serving, and giving it to her instead at 7am. Well, she sniffs it, and ignores it... until 7pm! doesn't matter how much exercise she gets, or what we do. She doesn't eat during the day! I read here that many of your dogs eat right after the bowl is served. Mine doesnt.

She is a healthy dog, shiny hair, normal weight, fairly active... but still I'd like to hear opinions on this issue.

We have also tried varying the food, but that is not the problem either. Whatever the brand, same schedule.

ETA: Same behavior with treats. She was never trained with them, so when she gets a cookie, or whatever treat, she takes it to a corner, leaves it there for a couple of hours, and then eat it without any rush. :rolleyes:

My opinion, for what little it's worth is - no problems with her health and so on, then don't worry.

Some ranch folks only feed in the evening because a day's work on a full stomach for very hard-working dogs can cause vomiting (I've been told). I feed morning and evening, some folks feed once a day. I've heard of some folks that feed every two days. Dogs are built to eat when eating is available and they are ready, and it sounds like she's not ready until she's ready.

My friend has two border collies- half brothers by the same sire. They are just not into food. She (well, one of her kids) puts food out in the morning, and the dogs are so busy running around, working stock, etc that they generally eat sometime in the middle of the night. These dogs are perfectly happy & healthy. Oddly enough, their sire was a chow-hound who inhaled every bit of food he could find up to the day he died.

I wouldn't worry about it, so long as she's eating & staying healthy.

I have a similar situation with my BC Sam, he's not especially interested in food, is not at all motivated by it. It's frustrating as he's actually a bit under weight.. I now mix in some extra lean ground beef or chicken into his meals so he eats a bit more!! Occasionally some cheese to make it more interesting.

Annie will not eat unless one of us is in the room with her. If we leave her alone, she will simply lie down and refuse to eat until one of us comes back into the room; and then we have to verbally encourage her to get her to start eating again. Neurotic? I don't know; I've given up trying to figure out what constitutes "normal" dog behavior ever since I got Annie...

Annie will not eat unless one of us is in the room with her. If we leave her alone, she will simply lie down and refuse to eat until one of us comes back into the room; and then we have to verbally encourage her to get her to start eating again. Neurotic? I don't know; I've given up trying to figure out what constitutes "normal" dog behavior ever since I got Annie...

Ahhhh... this sounds so much like Francisca. I see now mine is not the only anorexic one :rolleyes:

My dog has been doing this lately - we've always struggled to get him to eat but ever since switching him to Taste Of the Wild at the begining of this year, it hasn't been that much of an issue. But he would still sometimes just eat half of his breakfast. So often, in the afternoon, when one of us gets home, Ouzo hurries to the kitchen and finishes the food. It's like he had to wait for us to get back in order for him to finish eatting, silly dog. And no, he's never crated - so he always has free access to the kitchen if he wants to...

A friend's Saint Bernard's does this with her water, too - and she usually needs to drink GALLONS of water - so they need to make sure they're not leaving her alone for too long - regardless if they leave food and water for her - because she just wouldn't touch it until they arrive home - then swallows about 4 bowls of water :rolleyes:

I have one very finicky eater. She eats mostly at night too, I'm not sure why. If she eats that day it's usually around 1 am. But she sometimes will go two days without eating on her own accord. Other days she'll eat twice or even more. On the other hand she's somehow very treat motivated and will gobble those down with gusto. Her treat amount doesn't change over the days but her regular food consumption sure does. I've given up trying to force her. She seems very good at regulating her own weight. She's always been on the lean side and never a hair overweight. It seems to work for us.

Ahhhh... this sounds so much like Francisca. I see now mine is not the only anorexic one :rolleyes:

Suka also, until Dakota joined us. Now, the two of them race to the finish line, each keeping an eye on the other.

*shrug*

Either way is fine with me, so long as they don't start any crap with each other, and are staying in good flesh.

• 7 years later...

Zoee, our 5 year old BC, just started a weird eating "habit". She and Racer (our 8 year old Aussie/Blue Heeler mix) eat 2 x's day .. typically 6AM and 5 PM. 1 cup of food each, separate bowels, 1 shared water bowl, all on 1 large plastic mat. The norm has been to let them out to pee and then they come in and eat both in AM/PM. Zoee has a new "thing". I let them out and she lays in the snow and doesn't want to come in to eat. If I leave the door wide open she will sometimes come in or if I show her a leash (not even put it on her) she will come in.Then she stands over her bowl and won't eat until I encourage her to. Meanwhile, Racer has gobbled up his food and I have to have him go upstairs so he won't "stare" at Zoee while she eats. Zoee has NEVER be a finicky eater or weird. She has always just eaten with Racer.

Now, let me add in a couple more things ..... she will stop eating if I walk away and I have to stay in the room to encourage her to finish. Also, she had a crate (previous owner, we adopted her when she was 1). The weird eating business started when I took her crate away. She was would go into it at night when we got ready for bed so we would close the door and the crate was covered with a light sheet. She started giving us grief about being put in about 2 months ago so we just let her stay out and she and Racer would sleep on their beds or the floor (or the couch). Now, with the eating issue, I am wondering if that change flipped something in her? I have put the crate back out this morning and will what she does tonight at dinner time. She is a healthy weight and a happy dog. She gets a ton of walks and runs and outside time so I know she is hungry. Guess I am looking for reassurance that my Zoee is just a "normal" weird BC!

I only feed my boys once a day. My two eldest will only eat if they are hungry, so I used to leave food out all day, but my youngest will eat everything he can find, and got quite pudgy. So I reduced the meals to twice a day, and then once. I find they eat very quickly when fed once a day, and it is easy to monitor their food intake and manage their weight. They do get treats during the day, and sometimes a bone or turkey neck in the morning. When I did this, my youngest dropped three kilograms, and now looks lean and healthy.

Amy467 - Let me ask you what you do after you feed them in the evening. Is it walk time, playtime, your dinnertime? If it's walk time or playtime, she may just not be that into food and anticipating the activity more (I have one dog like that). If nothing "exciting" happens for her after her dinner (because she's been out beforehand) is she waiting and hoping for something fun to happen?

I have three dogs - one gobbler who absolutely inhales his food and is always done eating first; one who (in days gone by, before she began a diet made up for a dog with renal failure) ate pretty quickly and efficiently but not so gobbly; and one who is a slow and deliberate eater, who chews his kibble slowly and carefully, and who is easily distracted if he thinks something might be going out - and then he stops eating because he really would rather go out or do something other than just eat.

There is a lot of variability in these dogs and that includes eating habits. If she remains at a healthy weight and is full of energy, I would not be too concerned.

Amy467 - Let me ask you what you do after you feed them in the evening. Is it walk time, playtime, your dinnertime? If it's walk time or playtime, she may just not be that into food and anticipating the activity more (I have one dog like that). If nothing "exciting" happens for her after her dinner (because she's been out beforehand) is she waiting and hoping for something fun to happen?

I have three dogs - one gobbler who absolutely inhales his food and is always done eating first; one who (in days gone by, before she began a diet made up for a dog with renal failure) ate pretty quickly and efficiently but not so gobbly; and one who is a slow and deliberate eater, who chews his kibble slowly and carefully, and who is easily distracted if he thinks something might be going out - and then he stops eating because he really would rather go out or do something other than just eat.

There is a lot of variability in these dogs and that includes eating habits. If she remains at a healthy weight and is full of energy, I would not be too concerned.

Hi Sue!

Well, it has been weird .... we adopted Zoee when she was 1 and have had her 4 years now .... for the past 3.5 years, eating was normal ... 2x's a day and she ate slowly but never was never distracted (even when our other dog, Racer, had inhaled his food and was just staring at her watching her eat. It has been over the past 4 - 5 weeks that we had a few things occur. Zoee got into some sort of dead animal and had a rowdy case of diarrhea ... vet and some meds took care of that but she did have some pooping in the house incidents (we NEVER scold and Zoee is so smart that if she does have an accident or puke, it is always in our son's bathroom on his bath mat!). It was right after this that she started being weird about eating. She would prefer to sit outside in the morning on her lump of snow then come in and eat. She will come in eventually or if I show her a leash. I then have to encourage her to eat and hang out for a few minutes until she gets a rhythm going. This is happening both in the morning and at night ... however, she still rests her head in our laps during dinner hoping for a bite and when I clean up the dishes she cocks her little head and makes "hoping eyes" for a bit of potato or what not. She still eats her treats and chewies ... it really is just about mealtime. She is a very healthy weight, super active, bright eyes ... nothing there has changed. I did put her crate back out (see my original post) and it has only been 1 day since she has had it back so we need to wait and see if that changes anything. I feel so much better after reading all these posts about weird eating habits and that some seem to come out of nowhere! Zoee has been such a blessing to us and Racer (even though he probably would have been happy being an "only dog") but my goodness, BC's are a trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I only feed my boys once a day. My two eldest will only eat if they are hungry, so I used to leave food out all day, but my youngest will eat everything he can find, and got quite pudgy. So I reduced the meals to twice a day, and then once. I find they eat very quickly when fed once a day, and it is easy to monitor their food intake and manage their weight. They do get treats during the day, and sometimes a bone or turkey neck in the morning. When I did this, my youngest dropped three kilograms, and now looks lean and healthy.

Lawgirl ..... I feel so much better knowing that once a day could be a potential option for us for a bit to see if that changes her behaviors ... maybe we'll keep Racer at 2x's a day and see if Zoee prefers a mid-day meal ...... BCs are incredible for sure! Zoee had been such a blessing to us and I am so happy we were able to adopt her form her rather poor living condition 4 years ago .... she really is nothing like our Racer (he is predictable and tried and true) and she, well, certainly marches to her own drumstick!!!!

My Kit dog (female, 15 years old) has her own eccentricities about eating. Sometimes she won't eat, whether it is morning or evening. sometimes she doesn't want plain kibble, sometimes that is all she will eat. Sometimes she wants the home cooked topper of chicken and vegetables, sometimes she only wants the canned dog food topper. Of course, I always wish she could tell me what she wants today because I'd give her whatever she wanted. But I can't keep opening cans and thawing out food until I hit the right thing; there'd be too much waste, and sometimes she just won't eat at all for one or three meals.

When she does eat she has her own ritual. Push at the bowl with nose, as if covering it with dirt. Lick the outside of the bowl. Push the bowl around the room a bit. Lick the bowl some more. Lick at the food. Taste it and think about it. Eat a little. Push the bowl around a bit more.

And so on. It can take her a half hour to eat a bowl of food, and she will stop completely if something interrupts her, so she gets the bedroom to herself until she finishes.

Many dogs have weird eating habits. I say it doesn't matter how weird it is as long as the dog is getting good quality food in, and is healthy.