BC Boards

We've started moving

Ouch........... DIY moving hurts. With the help of Renee's mother and brother this weekend we've moved the stuff from our basement (4 loads with our cargo van and stock trailer). Tools, gardening stuff, t-posts, gates, old woven wire, partial rolls of high tensel woven wire, sheep stuff, unused dog crates, etc..... have been moved to locations on the new farm. It's gone slowly becasue of having to figure out where to put our stuff on the new place; the basement of the farm house is more a cellar than a basement. Closing is this Friday (on both places).

An owner's son is running cows on the property until the fall. He has asked us several times how many sheep we're bringing. He told us that the fields we're buying will support 45 cows!!!

Mark

Oh Mark

I feel your pain.

With our last move, DH had to let hundreds of things stay at the old place. We didn't get to bring old gates, fencing or t-posts (well, I did put t-posts on the trailer that DH hauled last) but we had only been on that farm for 3 years, lots of the "old stuff" had come from the place before. Old gates are what I'm missing most.

Be grateful that you have your "stuff" to haul. you'll settle in once you get there.

The worst part about getting here was that there is no where for us to put barn or garage stuff. It was still on the tralier till last Sat when we had to unload it to go get hay. Now it sits on the side of the barn that's full of someone elses crap waiting till I get a find or build a place to put it.

The worstest worst part is we moved here in March, my new house will be put in anyday. The trailer that we're living in has to go (it's where the new house will be set) so I have to pack up once again for another move. I do have one room that will turn into a storage area that I will try and stuff everything into but it's def. moving again.

Good luck on your new place...45 cows = enough sheep to keep anyone happy! Do you have to re-fence the new place?

Most of the exsisting fencing is 3 stands of old barbed wire on t-posts. The is one small field with box wire on t-posts and other that is a mix of box wire and barbed. We should be able to get at least 3 acres secured by this fall. Our electronet will be getting lots of use.

Ouch! I know what you all are going through!! I moved last November and am still "unpacking"..I have no clue where some stuff is still. All though while packing I did find lots of things I had forgotten about :rolleyes: I am jealous that you have closings, congrats! My place in Florida is "still" for sale, though leased at the moment.

Julie, Renee and I had already go through all our stuff and elimiated what we were willing to let go. You should see all the "stuff" we're getting with the farm in the 3200sqft bank barn, loafing shed, spring house, 2 equipment sheds, and a dairy barn complex.

I want my "stuff" back!

How lucky that you're going to get someone elses stuff...unless you have to move anytime in the near future.

The "stuff" I moved into is all junk, nothing I really get to re-use, guess there are a few panels that I'll get to reuse but that's about it.

WOW....

3200sqft bank barn, loafing shed, spring house, 2 equipment sheds, and a dairy barn complex.

That's one heck of allot of storage spots to put your "stuff"!

Sounds wonderful!

I am just so glad to hear that all is coming along, and hope those head colds are gone!

I think the cow to sheep conversion is about 1 to 6, so you will have room for over 250 sheep! Yippee!!!

That means that your awesome little place is either for sale or sold. What's going to become of it? For anyone who doesn't know it is an idyllic farmette with a beautiful new-built house that is minutes from some pretty great hiking and the Potomac (I think) River.

Congrats - it's a long time coming! Bleh, we just went through the moving thing. We'd only been at the last place three years and we were really, really careful not to accumulate the usual junk - we took a load to the "Big dump" every six months. And yet when it came down to it - we ended up 1) taking FOUR loads to the Big Dump of stuff that turned out to be not so vital when we went from three large storage areas to none 2) giving away a good bit of stuff 3) turning my pride and joy here - a Real Covered Patio - into a dumping ground :D and 4) renting a storage building.

The previous move was from the farm where we'd spent eleven years. That was a nightmare. It took four months. I know you don't want to hear that! :rolleyes: Even if you think you are getting bunches of junk at the new place, load up all the gates you have and take them, first thing. Believe me you will regret every gate you leave behind. Also any kind of solid panel or moveable pen.

It sounds so nice there - hope to visit someday when things settle down for you! I know that won't be for a while though!

Melanie,

Our current place is under contract to an engaged couple (first time home buyers); she has 1 or 2 horses. It is within walking distance of the C&O Canal Trail (to the south), Appalachian Trail (to the east), Harpers Ferry NHP (to the west), and confluence of the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers (to the south).

The new place is on the eastern side of the AT; but we'll be farther north of the rivers. We can barely see or hear our neighbors or any road traffic; while only 1.5 miles off I70.

We will be looking for farm sitters in the future so we can take a vacation.

Mark

Wait, what's that barking noise? I think it's Ted volunteering for a vacation!! How soon? How about the end of July? Patrick and I are looking for a getaway. Of course, then we'll need a farm sitter ourselves - easy work though because the neighbors have a troop of kids to help with chores, plus my own kids will be next door too for technical advice. :rolleyes:

Renee's mother and brother came up the weekend prior to settlemet to help us pack and start moving. My parents came out last Wednesday to help us move and settle in.

The house had 2 kitchens and we've decided to remodel this one. We've started getting quotes for updating the electical panel, rewiring the kitchen, and remodeling the kitchen. It'll be a while until we have our new kitchen.

We do have a fridge (we needed to buy one) and we'll be getting a washer and dryer in a few days.

I've spent several mornings putting escaped sheep back into their areas and plugging holes in the old fences. I know this will continue for months or until I have the money and energy to replace the old fences one field at a time.

My father (retired plumber) and I have several plumbing projects to do before they head home this weekend. The kitchen sink drains into a ditch not the septic system. BTW the pond in front of the house was the septic system when the bathroom was first added to this house. :rolleyes:

post-7348-1246446154_thumb.jpg

Oh how lovely! And it will be just gorgeous when you two work your magic on it!

Now that you are in, when can I come visit with Mr. Dan-Man?

PS - Did you get what I sent? I'm not worried about you, I'm worried about the dependability of the postal service.

What an absolutely gorgeous place!!! How old are the buildings, including house?

Seeing these pics makes me realize I've been in California WAY too long--there's just nothing out here that comes close to having that kind of character and feel. Makes me want all the more to get out of here and back to where life is real (this is just some other overcrowded, everything-looks-the-same, nasty-attitude planet).

Good for you guys!! Enjoy it,

A

I'd been wondering how you guys were getting along! That's such a cool place and i know you and Renee will be transforming it into a picture perfect showplace. I love it and it's so "you guys".

Let me know when you're ready to start the fencing party - i'll be there!