BC Boards

We've started moving

That's incredible. Congratulations guys!

May I suggest a greywater system for the kitchen sink drainage? It could go straight to the vegetable garden, because my guess is you'll have one.

I love the house but the barns are to die for! Lovely place!

Lana

Now that's a real farm woman/ranch woman for you - forget the house (okay, so you love it) and go whole-hog over the outbuildings!

Based upon the structure the left side of the house was built first in about 1820; the newer side of the house is still really old (plaster & lath).

The bank barn (3200 sqft) was built in two phases. The older right side has hand hewn rafters and the newer left side has rough sawn lumber. All the framing is held together with pegs.

Sue, yes we did get your package. Thanks! We're already using it.

There are several springs on the property (and a 3,000+ gal spring fed pond) that have run for generations; there is no need, at this time, to spend the money on a graywater system (which would require pumping up to likely garden locations.

Out buildings:

3200 sqft bank barn

1800 sqft dairy barn

approx 2500 sqft loafing shed (block wall/metal roof)

equipment shed/hog barn (wood)

equipment shed (block wall/metal roof)

BTW we met one of the current residents of the property: Angelina. She came trotting over to us when we were unloading stuff into the dairy barn. Having never been that close before, a face-to-face meeting with a bottle raised Limousin cow was a bit un-nerving.

BTW we met one of the current residents of the property: Angelina. She came trotting over to us when we were unloading stuff into the dairy barn. Having never been that close before, a face-to-face meeting with a bottle raised Limousin cow was a bit un-nerving.

Don't offend her Mark. It's Adrianna, not Angelina. Yay! We finally have internet service again!

Renee

I'm with Anna- those photos make me want to move back to New England! My old riding trainer's place in Maine looked much like that.

Could you take pics inside the barn? I'm minorly obsessed with old barns- I'd love to see what it looks like. Is there a hatch in the floor to push manure through for the pigs that would live below?

When you guys decide you need a farm manager, I'll be the first to apply... 250 sheep are a lot to keep up with :rolleyes:

MAJOR PROBLEM

Renee called Southern States to fill the fuel oil tanks. The driver could not fill the tanks (splashed back out of the fill pipe) because the fill and vent pipes are too small. Renee called the SS office and she was told that when the system was inspected (as part of the sale) the report indicated that they highly recommended the tanks and pipes be replaced due to corrosion and possible leaks. This information was not disclosed to us. I've called our agent who will be having the listing agent call us.

Mark

We will wait to see how the listing agent and sellers handle this. I think legally they are in a bad spot for not disclosing the problem. I think they could have disclosed the results of the report and then said they would not pay for the fix. At that point we could have cancled or proceeded with the purchase contract.

The listing agent gathered info from the sellers. There was a communications problem between Southern States, teh sellers, and the listing agent; the sellers will be taking care of the oil tanks. This is a load off our minds.

We finally worked a couple of dogs on one of our fields (actually 1/2 of the field). :rolleyes:

Congrats on the new farm ! looks like a beautiful place, cant beat those old Maryland Dairy farms, I wont be showing my wife your pictures !!! she would be insanely jealous LOL, being right off 70 is convienent, let me know when you are ready to give some lessons, Kip, Emma and I will be ready! good luck, Tom and Molly

• 3 weeks later...