BC Boards

Sam is missing

Do I tell them that I "think" he was stolen or taken?

If you choose to report it, you can say he is missing - possibly stolen. From there I would gather that they have protocols to follow that would determine if and how they look into it.

Plus, I live in a rural area. I know you are supposed to register your dogs if you live in town but I assume (that being the issue) that since I don't live in town I don't have to reg. the dogs. If I'm wrong, I could be in violation of not reg. the dogs, and if that's the case then I'm also probably in voilation of to many dogs.

I'd try to find out about those things first. Could you make a call to someone (without going into details about yourself) just to find out what the laws are for your area?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kristen, I don't know what to tell you about reporting him 'missing'. Do you have a recent photo of Sam? If you put one of the gallery, I'm sure a lot of us would cross post his photo to other boards we are involved in. Who knows, the more exposure to his being 'missing' the better.

I'm still hoping he shows up - none the worse for wear - with an adventure he can't tell you about.

Personally, I'd risk it. I'd also check at local vets to see if they'd had a stray brought in that matched your pup. Maybe leave them with a picture and a contact number.

ETA: Stray meaning, someone brought in the pup for shots and what not thinking it was a stray

Kristen, I've been watching this thread with growing concern.

Personally, I say "screw any laws/ordinances I may be in violation of", and report Sam as missing.

Getting him back is paramount. Deal with any legal issues after he's safe and home again.

Best wishes that he is found well and happy.

Especially with him being a pup (if I remember correctly), I would report him missing to shelter and dog warden/police and so on. Also, put up posters everywhere! I keep posters for all my dogs (and take them on trips) in case something like this happens, and I can quickly make copies at a copy center and post them.

In many communities/counties, pups don't require registration until six months of age or so, and I would think that any repercussions from him being unregistered would hopefully be very minor because he is a pup.

Very best wishes!

I've already reported him missing and gave all the shelters the flyer with his recent picture. So now it's more a waiting game with walks/hunts and still calling him. The police or shelters said nothing about any regs so I don't think that's gonna be an issue. The shelter gave me hell for not having him neutered yet. BUt I don't blame them. I plan(ned )on getting him neutered soon but was trying to put it off for growth factors. He is really just a baby and didn't need it yet. Lil will be spayed as soon as I see her growing some and looking more like a young dog instead of such a puppy.

SO I will keep you all posted and please keep sending the mojo, it's all I have left to help find him.

Kristen, don't assume that the shelters will call you if they get him. Even if you left the info and talked to them, they may not bother to call you if he shows up (speaking of personal experience here). Call them every day or every other day and remind them. Also, try shelters out of your area and keep checking petfinder. I know someone who lost a dog and the dog showed up a couple month later at an SPCA some 40miles away -- he was lucky the dog was posted on petfinder... Oh, and try breed rescues if you haven't already so they can keep an eye out... Good luck! Petra

Kristen, I've been following this daily, hoping to see an update with news that Sam's back home safe and sound. My heart breaks for you--I know how terrible it feels when a beloved dog goes missing. The one thing that resulted in a successful outcome when my friend's dogs went missing was a network of Emails forwarded to everyone who lived in that corridor of the area with a recent photo of the dogs. I'm still holding onto the hope of Sam's safe return.

Dear Kristen,

Love & mojo for Sam from South Carolina too.

I have a sister in Denver. I think that is probably pretty far from you, but if you want to start an email I will forward it to her. She has lived there for a long time & has lots of contacts. She's a dog person, so I know she'll help.

Cherrie, Bella & Jody