BC Boards

Is this a normal price?!?

We looked into a BC female from a rescue the other day via email. The woman who runs the rescue finally got back to me. She wants $400 for a BC cross!!! Is this a normal price for a rescue?? I can get a pb BC for $120 or so at the pound!!

Dianne

Hondo (BC)

Tango (BC)

Riata ( Catahoula cross)

Diane,

I work with BC Rescue, so thought I would take a stab at replying. It sounds like a lot of money, but please remember that you are not buying a dog for that price. That is an adoption fee. Rescue groups are always overloaded with dogs they have saved from death, always stretched to the max for money. Some dogs come into the rescue, need no medical care, and go right back out quickly to new homes. Others stay for months, and/or need very expensive surgery, and a lot of care. All are fed and cared for, and there is website maintenance, transport (at today's gas prices!!), driving all over the place to do home checks, and myriad other expenses. If they are charging $400 that means they need to, in order to keep running and keep saving dogs. It makes no difference if the dog is purebred or not, they take the same care and expense. Rescue groups never make any money, and the people who do the work usually put in a lot of their own money to make it all happen. The fee is not a purchase price, but a donation to the rescue group so that they can get more dogs good homes instead of letting them die. I would encourage you to get the dog that appeals to you, mix or purebred, and not let the price be a determining factor. Remember, if I may repeat myself without being offensive, you are not buying a comodity; this isn't about price-comparison shopping.

Good luck finding the dog you want.

Remember, if I may repeat myself without being offensive, you are not buying a comodity; this isn't about price-comparison shopping.

I think it offends the average consumer though if you charge out of market prices. It might be better to fund raise than charge 3 1/2 times your local humane society. esp since there is a strict criteria to adopt already. I think it encourages people to think about pups. JMHO

There are reputable rescues and there are some so-called "rescues" that are little more than shady folks making a profit from gullible and caring individuals. Perhaps someone on these boards could help you (through PM) in determining if this particular individual runs a recognized, reputable rescue.

Many rescues do put endless resources of time and care to save dogs and prepare them for forever homes. Even with helpful vets keeping the costs to a minimum, such rehabilitation is costly.

I think (along with D'Elle) that it's a matter of it being the right dog and not the right price that is of prime concern. That said, you don't want to be taken for a ride and you just might not have the financial resources to pay that kind of money.

Whatever happens, I also hope you find the right dog.

Diane,

I am a foster home for BC rescue. We are not subsidized by taxes or dog licensing fees. We also go to pick up the dogs ourselves most of the time. I'll grant you that the spay/neuters are reduced as are the vaccinations, but the other reasons for seeing a vet usually aren't.

I wouldn't balk at a $400 price if the dog is what I want and from a rescue, you'd already have an idea of what the dog's personality is like. Remember your purchase price or rescue fee is only a small percentage of what you will pay over the lifetime of the dog.

I wouldn't think that it is too high. The dog is already fixed right? So that cost would be in there already.

I payed $400 for Dazzle, but would have payed way more because she was a great pup and just what I wanted.

How old is the dog? Is she spayed and up to date on shots?

Sam (18 months old) expenses so far

250. breeder

35. dhlpp pup shot

10. bordetella vaccine

13. rabies for 1yr

27.50 heartguard

30.00 vet office visit *

8. neobacimy eye ointment (* vet visit and this med due to cat scratched eye)

35. dhpp pup shot

3.50 interceptor tab

37. Dhlpp

15. 3yr rabies shot

14. dog liscense yr 2005

14. dog liscense yr 2006

27.50 heartguard

15. one dose of frontline ( to remove ticks due to going camping)

105. neuter ( female typically higher to spay)

That isn't counting dog food, bowls, toys, treats, tie outs, leashes, collars, crate, bedding, grooming ( only done twice), and the occassional broading.

Pound fee here is 64. and they come neutered/spayed and with their liscense for the yr.

So that price isn't outrageous.

Is the dog a pup (or young), or is she an adult? If she's an adult, in this area at least that is more than what everyone else charges for an adoption fee. I paid $350 for Zoe from a rescue, because she was a pup - they do tend to charge a lot more for puppies (because they're in high demand). I flinched only because I knew my hubby would be ticked.

Shelters tend to charge a lot less for dogs because they don't do the extensive behavioral testing, foster home, etc.

I would verify that this rescue lady is reputable if all you know her from is email. Can you visit the dog?

One thing I'd do is ask the vet to whom I'd be taking the dog about this rescue. Mine works with several rescue groups and can vouch for them. Might even call a few other vets you or your neighbors trust.

While the real rescue groups are nothing short of angels, there are enough who call themselves rescue but are businesses. And rather shoddy ones at that.

There are 4 females she has available. All spayed, up to date on shots, and microchipped.

It sure seems that prices vary. But then they do in horse rescue as well. I do horse rescue. I charge only a minimum payment when a horse is adopted from us. We recently placed a 24 y/o gelding who was up to date on everything, perfect horse for a child age 2 and up, and only charged $350. When I got Trigger he was a bag of bones, lame etc. We spent a lot more money than $350 , but I don't rescue for money, I do it for the horse. Granted..I only can afford 1 rescue a year..so maybe that is the difference.

We won't be adopting from this particular rescue as I found another who only charges $150 and for the same things, BUT I'll only be getting a pup when we find the one for us. Like you all say, not every dog and person mesh and it needs to be a good match.

We don't have $400 laying around. We live job to job, or horse sale to horse sale. We have NEVER run out of food, or not had money for vet etc., but the $400 just isn't laying around.

Thanks ladies and gents, for replying.

Dianne

In my geographic area rescue dog adoption fees tend to be in the $150-$200 range, so this does seem high to me. If the dog had to be treated for heartworm or had some large medical expenses, it could be why they are asking for a higher fee. I have mixed feelings regarding fluctuating or generally high adoption fees. On one hand, you want rescue dogs to be adopted and high adoption fees may be discouraging for some good adopters. On the other hand, you do want to recoup some of the expenses associated with preparing a dog for adoption. On the OTHER other hand, I would be concerned with a rescue that depends upon adoption fees to recoup expenses on the dogs. There should be other fundraising in place. With the group I worked with most, we set the fees to remain constant, regardless of how much it cost to get each dog adoption ready. Some dogs came in with heartworm or needing dentals or other pricey procedures on top of spay or neuter. Others came in ready to go, already spayed or neutered and in great shape. They still were adopted out at the regular fee even if they only wound up needing a rabies and distemper shot. Also, the dogs with sad medical stories were good fundraising dogs, frequently their stories would build up the medical fund in excess of their treatment costs and the excess helped other animals. When adopting out a dog that had racked up the expenses, we would advise the adopter of it and invite them to donate at a higher level, but it was optional. Some folks did, some didn't. I personally don't think sticking it to the adopter is the best way to handle the money issue. More assertive or inventive fundraising is better.

Originally posted by AWQH:

We recently placed a 24 y/o gelding who was up to date on everything, perfect horse for a child age 2 and up, and only charged $350.

Dianne,

Realistically speaking, though, if Trigger were half that age might you not have asked more? Someone willing to take on a 24-y.o. horse is probably expecting to incur, sooner rather than later, the sorts of expenses that go with keeping a somewhat geriatric horse. I know that a number of dog rescues will also offer older or hard-to-place dogs at lower fees, and charge more for the ones everyone wants (especially puppies). I see nothing wrong with that. I don't know that I'd pay $400 for a rescue when I can get a well-bred working pup for that price, but the price doesn't necessarily mean the person is trying to rip an adopter off either.

Just my opinion.

J.

I previously served on a BOB for a German Shepherd Rescue.....there was such a high demand for puppies and very few came through rescue, mostly adolescents and older dogs. We considered raising the adoption fee on pups to supplement rescue income and support the special needs of older dogs that usually cost us alot more to rehab. We never implemented the plan but there were some very valid benefits to it. Our standard adoption fee was $150 and our average rescue cost/dog was $410 (calculating all overhead and averaging costs of special needs dogs over all dogs adopted). All dogs adopted out were Spay/Neutered, shots and vet checked.

The rescue I volunteer for charges $250 to $350 per dog. For senior dogs, the fee is reduced and for senior dogs adopted by senior citizens the fee is waived. Even volunteers who adopt have to pay the fee (ie - if a foster home falls for one of the dogs and decides to keep him/her, they pay the adoption fee).

The rescue pays for all vet costs (s/n, shots, chips, individual health issues, etc) and boarding if the foster home needs it (for example Mick will be boarded for three days next week when I am on a business trip at a cost of $75). The foster home pays for the food and is not reimbursed for that.

Overhead costs include travel for transport and evals, equip like crates, leashes, collars, etc and training for the volunteers.

Recently we spent thousands of dollars each on a dog that has severe seizures, one that had major dental issues and another one that had heart problems. Sadly the last dog didn't make it.

It is easy to say the rescues should do fund-raisers (and we do) but it is hardly a major money-maker and certainly not enough to make up for the many costs involved. We have booths at events (which usually involve a fee to have the booth, so that cuts into the profits) and we do direct mailings. Another drawback to keep in mind is that rescues are run by volunteers, and even one as organized as ours still involved relatively few volunteers when you consider we are spread over 8 states.

It is easy to say the rescues should do fund-raisers (and we do) but it is hardly a major money-maker and certainly not enough to make up for the many costs involved.

I dont think anyone will argue rescuing is expensive but, when a person gets the fees to adopt too high they wont.

Your rescue does a Great job and is price in line with everyone but, for an example you started to charge 500 and GH still charged 300 where would people go? KWIM

I spent $350 each for Kate and Darby, from a back yard breeder who had North American Sheep Dog Association papers on her dogs, whatever that accounts for. This was 8 years ago, they were pups, 8 weeks old, I think they had their first shots, and that was it. I'd say that's a fair price for knowing the dog's history and tempermant, along with everything else that was done for her.

$250-275 US is now usual. That's about $275-$305 CA. $400 CA would be about $360 US - some rescues are going almost that high now with gas prices and vet prices going sky high. I would definitely want to know what I was getting for that - but I'd sure pay it for at least one rescue org I know based in CA. :rolleyes:

The purpose of this fee is to spread the pain of providing for the needs of every rescue, over each adoption. Rescues need to stay solvent or they cannot serve dogs, period. Sometimes you get a dog with serious needs, a major surgery, HW treatment, and there's no time to raise funds.

You can't count on case by case fundraising - people are wonderfully generous but I can't remember a single instance where the needs of a single major problem were addressed successfully with a fundraising program. Maybe 75% max. The rest must come from rescue coffers, where normal expenses must also come from.

I'd say fundraising typically raises around 10% of real expenses, based on my own experience (and we were VERY good at raising money). Some very well established rescues in urban areas may do better, but most BC rescues are very small.

Being altruistic is all very well, but responsible rescues will take as much of the financial burden off their volunteers as possible, by ensuring a regular cash flow through reasonable adoption fees.

I definitely agree that it is imperative to determine whether a rescue you are dealing with is legit. They should arrange a meeting in person with the animal you are adopting (don't adopt via the internet unless you are very familiar with the organization), should do a home visit, should have a return policy and absolutely do not deal with rescues that don't have a spay/neuter policy.