BC Boards

Border Collie

I have a beautiful border collie whose name is Raven. She is 4 years old and needs a good forever home. I got her with a friend and that friend has disappeared. She needs a more active life than I can give her. If anyone would like to know more about her let me know.

Thanks

I have a beautiful border collie whose name is Raven. She is 4 years old and needs a good forever home. I got her with a friend and that friend has disappeared. She needs a more active life than I can give her. If anyone would like to know more about her let me know.

Thanks

Where are you?

Hi roanne,

Thanks for posting your location and photos of Raven. Is it possible for you to post a copy of her pedigree?

Regards,

nancy

I can't seem to get my scanner working as I just bought a new computer. Some of the titles are Aust/Am Ch Borderhall Soul Mate ROM SIRE, CH Loni Of CTP, CD,NA,CGC and many more. If you or anyone you know wishes to see the pedigree I can fax it to you. She comes from a great line of Champions who were in Agility, Obedience etc.

Hi again roanne,

In reply to my post about Raven's pedigree, you wrote:

Some of the titles are Aust/Am Ch Borderhall Soul Mate ROM SIRE, CH Loni Of CTP, CD,NA,CGC and many more. If you or anyone you know wishes to see the pedigree I can fax it to you. She comes from a great line of Champions who were in Agility, Obedience etc.

Thanks for the information, and it should be very helpful in determining her suitability for potential adopters. I imagine that she would be a wonderful companion, and perhaps be able to participate in "dog sports" (agility or obedience), too.

I agree with those who have suggested contacting Glen Highland Farm to assist in placing her. However, if you purchased Raven from her breeder, then like Eileen, I would advice you to contact them, as well.

Regards,

nancy

Roanne, an easy way to post a pedigree is to take a photo of it. But it looks like from the dogs you mentioned that she is from show lines. My guess is that you probably paid a fair amount of money for her and signed some sort of contract with the breeder, no?

Roanne, where in upstate New York are you? If you are interested in placing your dog through rescue, please contact either us (New England Border Collie Rescue) at info@nebcr.org or Glen Highland Farm www.glenhighlandfarm.com.

Hi again roanne,

In reply to my post about Raven's pedigree, you wrote:

Thanks for the information, and it should be very helpful in determining her suitability for potential adopters. I imagine that she would be a wonderful companion, and perhaps be able to participate in "dog sports" (agility or obedience), too.

I agree with those who have suggested contacting Glen Highland Farm to assist in placing her. However, if you purchased Raven from her breeder, then like Eileen, I would advice you to contact them, as well.

Regards,

nancy

That was the first thing I've done was contact the breeder who co owns her with me and was also her handler. He has disappeared from the face of the earth. I have done everything possible to get him to call me. He moved from where he was. Raven has one big big problem and if I could correct it she would be perfect. She is always barking and we have a mobile home that we rent out on our property and they have a baby who needs sleep as well as they do. I just can't seem to stop the barking. I know she wants to run around the property but that is not possible all the time. any suggestions.

Thanks for all your help

Roanne

Hi Roanne,

Thanks again for the additional information....I didn't realize that it was Raven's breeder (and co-owner) who had "disappeared".

You also wrote:

Raven has one big big problem and if I could correct it she would be perfect. She is always barking and we have a mobile home that we rent out on our property and they have a baby who needs sleep as well as they do. I just can't seem to stop the barking. I know she wants to run around the property but that is not possible all the time. any suggestions.

Regarding Raven's barking, here's my suggestion: put a "bark collar" on her. There are several different kinds, some that deliver an electric shock, and some that spray citronella to correct the dog when it barks. Most dogs respond very well to the use of a bark collar, and if correcting Raven's nuisance barking would allow her to stay with you, everyone wins!

Regards,

nancy

What are the circumstances of Raven's barking? Is she in the house or outside, tied or kenneled or crated, alone or with you, etc. Perhaps people can help if they have more information so they can address the issue more specifically. Barking can often result from boredom or distractions that make a dog anxious, and can sometimes be dealt with by simple management (and perhaps you could tell us what you have tried, just so we can get a better idea of the problem and what hasn't worked for you).

You are understanding in realizing that she should not be running around loose on the property. She may enjoy running for the exercise and fun of it, but she would be much more content and satisfied to be engaged in mental and physical exercise with you, and not just entertaining herself.

Hi Roanne,

Thanks again for the additional information....I didn't realize that it was Raven's breeder (and co-owner) who had "disappeared".

You also wrote:

Regarding Raven's barking, here's my suggestion: put a "bark collar" on her. There are several different kinds, some that deliver an electric shock, and some that spray citronella to correct the dog when it barks. Most dogs respond very well to the use of a bark collar, and if correcting Raven's nuisance barking would allow her to stay with you, everyone wins!

Regards,

nancy

Please don't suggest electric shock....or even the citronella. They do too much psychological damage to the dog. Correct the behavior some other way - find out when the dog is barking and why (lonliness, lack of exercise, boredom) and work from there.

Please don't suggest electric shock....or even the citronella. They do too much psychological damage to the dog. Correct the behavior some other way - find out when the dog is barking and why (lonliness, lack of exercise, boredom) and work from there.

More so than losing the home that she knows and is used to? There may be other means but compared to rehoming (all other things being equal) a bark collar does not sound like an unreasonable or totally inhumane suggestion IMHO. Unless there are other reasons we have not heard that means this is not the best home for the dog.

To the OP - I hope you can find a good solution, either to allow you to keep your dog or to find her the best home possible.

Not to hijack, but have you ever used a bark collar? I used to be very against them. I am certain they can in some cases create pychological damage, as can many other methods of physical punishment, but in some situations they are a wonderful solution to a barking problem. I would not recommend a bark collar as a first resort, and if there is an underlying cause of the barking (stress, boredom, etc.) I would address that first. However, I have learned never to say never in dog training. I use a bark collar on my deaf dog who demand barks. She gets plenty of exercise and stimulation, but ignoring her doesn't work, positive reinforcement for being quiet doesn't work and also, I can't always sit next to her crate and treat her for quiet behavior. Sometimes, she is content just to bark her extremely loud and high pitched bark (she can't hear herself) for long periods of time. This stresses me out and stresses out my other dog. For those times, I have found that a bark collar stops her and saves my sanity. It only took one shock for her to learn and she is completely in control of whether or not she gets punished. Also, unlike a human-controlled shock collar, the timing of the correction is always perfect. The level of shock is mild. And the collar is self-correcting, so there is no damage of the punishment being associated with the owner. Furthermore, for my dog, other means of punishment that would generally be considered much less harsh, like a squirt bottle, are for her obviously far more traumatic than having her bark collar put on. She is very afraid of the bottle, she is fine with the collar. I personally would not recommend any type of punishment as a first resort, and a bark collar may not be appropriate in this case, but then again, it may.

More so than losing the home that she knows and is used to? There may be other means but compared to rehoming (all other things being equal) a bark collar does not sound like an unreasonable or totally inhumane suggestion IMHO. Unless there are other reasons we have not heard that means this is not the best home for the dog.

To the OP - I hope you can find a good solution, either to allow you to keep your dog or to find her the best home possible.

Raven has been shown in conformation. She has also taken advanced obedience and I started her in agility but never finished. I have a large fenced in yard and a pen where she is kept when I am gone. She runs the fence line whenever someone pulls in the driveway or comes out of their house at which she barks constant. I yell at her to stop and it helps momentarily but then continues. She is kept in at night. She just loves frizzbee and I keep her busy with that for a while. I don't know what to do. I raise English Mastiffs and Bulldogs and took Raven from my handler because he was supposed to show her for me. You can see more pictures of her on my site at www.rockeetopmastiffs.com if you like. Any help to stop the barking would be soooooo appreciated. I would love to keep her she is a wonderful dog and beside the barking is great.

Thanks for the help I wanted to place her because she would love a place where she could be busy.

Roanne

I would also recommend a bark collar. I tried every single method to train Taz to not bark incessantly when the neighbors brought their dogs for the weekend and nothing worked. She now has a bark collar and there has been no psychological damage to her due to wearing it. She is still a happy, loving and very stable dog. She just doesn't bark constantly.

Not to hijack, but have you ever used a bark collar? I used to be very against them. I am certain they can in some cases create pychological damage, as can many other methods of physical punishment, but in some situations they are a wonderful solution to a barking problem. I would not recommend a bark collar as a first resort, and if there is an underlying cause of the barking (stress, boredom, etc.) I would address that first. However, I have learned never to say never in dog training. I use a bark collar on my deaf dog who demand barks. She gets plenty of exercise and stimulation, but ignoring her doesn't work, positive reinforcement for being quiet doesn't work and also, I can't always sit next to her crate and treat her for quiet behavior. Sometimes, she is content just to bark her extremely loud and high pitched bark (she can't hear herself) for long periods of time. This stresses me out and stresses out my other dog. For those times, I have found that a bark collar stops her and saves my sanity. It only took one shock for her to learn and she is completely in control of whether or not she gets punished. Also, unlike a human-controlled shock collar, the timing of the correction is always perfect. The level of shock is mild. And the collar is self-correcting, so there is no damage of the punishment being associated with the owner. Furthermore, for my dog, other means of punishment that would generally be considered much less harsh, like a squirt bottle, are for her obviously far more traumatic than having her bark collar put on. She is very afraid of the bottle, she is fine with the collar. I personally would not recommend any type of punishment as a first resort, and a bark collar may not be appropriate in this case, but then again, it may.

Thanks for all the information......She is very loud and near scares the death out of me and whoever else is around. I'm sure she's barking because she wants to play or herd but it still doesn't make it any easier. There's got to be something I can do. If I leave her out in the yard she is running back and forth the fence line. If she is in her pen she is barking at anyone who is playing in the yard. HELP is needed.

Thanks again, I will try the shock collar and anything else people offer. :rolleyes:

I'm a great believer that a dog, particularly and active and intelligent one, should not just be out in a yard to amuse herself. That is where problem behaviors like fence-running and barking originate, in boredom and nothing mentally or physically stimulating and satisfying.

She's not "barking because she wants to play or herd" - she's barking because it is self-rewarding, like many undesirable (to us) behaviors that animals do when they don't have anything else to occupy their minds and bodies.

Does she have to be in the yard/pen when you are gone? Can she be kept in the house or crated with the type of toys that can keep her occupied for part of the day? After you play with her, couldn't you bring her inside, either loose or crated for some quiet time, where there won't be the same stimulation of seeing cars or people coming and going?

Many animals that are doing something that we don't want, will momentarily stop when "yelled at" but, without a change in the situation/environment or real training, just yelling changes nothing. In fact, for some animals, it means they have gotten your attention (this is seen in children, too) and that in itself can be a reward and reinforcement for the unwanted behavior.

I'm tending to think that, with other things you have on your plate and seemingly not much time for this dog, she might well be better off if rehomed where she can have sufficient time and attention from her owner and family. I'm not meaning to be negative, just practical.