BC Boards

New to the board -- what do you think of my boy?

Hi, I've been a longtime lurker and since I finally got a BC I figured I should join! I have 2 other dogs, an 11 year old Lab mix named Anna and a 6 year old Sheltie/BC mix named Sadie.

Three months ago, I adopted Ripley from the SPCA in a rural area northwest of Philadelphia. He's young, probably under 2, and since he was a stray I don't know much about him. The funny thing was, in the shelter he was listed as an Aussie, and supposedly Aussie rescue was in there and said he was an Aussie. When I first brought him home, I too thought he was probably an Aussie mix. He had a very thick winter coat, giving him a stocky appearance.

I believe he's either a purebred border collie or at least a good majority BC. His personality is that of a BC. I have put him on sheep and I think he works more like a BC. Most BC people I know think he's all BC, though some folks disagree. A lot of people around town think he's an Aussie, I guess because of his coloring. He's not a merle though, he is just heavily ticked.

He's a sweet boy and I'm having a great time with him so far. I got him to play agility with, but I am also enjoying the sheep so would like to pursue that to some degree as long as he continues to do well. I can't believe a dog like this ended up at the shelter as an unclaimed stray. He loves all people including children, gets along well with other dogs. He's toy crazy too. He could have run away from a farm. He was not neutered. Or a foreclosure dog? My herding trainer thinks he may have been on sheep before too.

Here's a video of the first time I put him on sheep (was also the first time I was on sheep, so don't mind me looking silly in the middle):

What do you all think?

Heather

post-10099-1242664063_thumb.jpg

post-10099-1242664206_thumb.jpg

post-10099-1242664235_thumb.jpg

Welcome to you both, what a handsome chap he is.

I volunteer at a shelter. You would not believe the most incredible dogs that end up needing a home. Most of the time they end up looking for a new home through no fault of their own. Thank you so much for opening up your heart and home to Mr. Ripley.

Thanks all! I don't really care WHAT he is, it's just that people ask, I want to know what to say :rolleyes:

I get funny looks sometimes when I say he's a BC, but only from people that are unfamiliar with BC's.

Anyway, he's a great guy and I know we're going to have fun together.

I get funny looks sometimes when I say he's a BC, but only from people that are unfamiliar with BC's.

Might as well get used to it. You can have a border collie with a known pedigree going straight back to Wiston Cap, and people will still come up at random to tell you what its breeding "really" is.

Lauren, twist my arm :rolleyes:

Hope it's ok that I'm posting these here rather than under the Photo section on the site, but here are some photos of Sadie, my sheltie mix. I actually did that DNA test on her, and the results came back as mostly sheltie, some border collie and a little malamute! She is tiny -- 16" and 23 lbs. I'd describe her personality as 100% sheltie. Smart as a whip, but quirky as hell.

post-10099-1242844618_thumb.jpg

post-10099-1242844625_thumb.jpg

post-10099-1242844632_thumb.jpg

I know Sadie. Sadie is ADORABLE. I totally wanted to steal her back in the day!

Ripley is very handsome, but you know I am partial to red. Did you know that Rip is the name Solo came with?

OMG, small world. Just joined, too. Also just realized that the lucky owner of the gorgeous red BC and the lady who I talk to about building rentals are one and the same person. And you are incredibly lucky, finding such a smart and beautiful boy at a shelter...I tried to find another BC to do agility with, on account of Mer's hips and other medical problems, but had an unfortunate experience with rescue and decided maybe it was not meant to be right now. Oh well. Mer's having a good spell right now, and we have our first trial this weekend (yippee!).

Nice to meet you and Rip.