BC Boards

Met My First Foster Today

I met my first foster bc today, a two-year-old female. The foster owner had warned me that she would be protective at first. When I showed up at his house, which is in a rural area, she barked a lot (along with his other four dogs). But she soon accepted me and we went on a 1.5-mile walk to get the mail. I was able to pet her and have her come to me when I called her name. Back at the house, she fully accepted me and while I was scratching her ears, she reached up and gave me a kiss.

She's obviously very smart and I believe would make a great agility competitor, which I'm very interested in doing. But, I have two questions. When we walked, she was off a leash, which is no problem on a dirt road in a rural area. The foster owner told me that if you want a dog to walk on a leash, you shouldn't get a border collie. Where I live, dogs have to be leashed. Granted, I'll get a long line so she can run and go ahead of me, but she will have to be leashed. Is it really a problem to have a bc on a leash?

The other question I have is that she entertains herself by focusing on bugs and blowing bits of dust. She focuses intently as she circles and then pounces on them stiff-legged. Is this normal bc behavior or is this OCD?

Another problem that she has, which will only take time and love, is that her original owners never did any brushing. When she went to her foster home, her coat was terribly tangled and she still fights a comb. She's starting to accept the brush, however.

She is a very sweet dog, and depending on my outcome with meeting another foster tomorrow, may be the one I pick. Oh, this is Erica on the ABCR website.

Everything I read in your post seems to be just the behavior of a smart dog. I question a little about the advice from the foster owner - I have a BC from rescue (got him when he was a year and a half - picked up as a stray, nervous with very little or no training). He is great on the leash. We live in a leash law community during the winter, but he can be off leash in the summer. We have had him one year now - I went for a run with him this morning on leash. You would think I am a brilliant trainer ( I am not). He trotted next to me for four miles on a trail run. Other distractions on the trail - mountain bikes and other hikers - he immediately sits and waits for them to pass - then on we go. In New Mexico he runs with me off leash. If he is not where I want him - I call his name, snap my finger, and point to where I want him - he immediately moves down to that trail. I keep on shaking my head - how did I get so lucky. He loves to run just as much as l do.

My dog likes lizards and squirrels. He trots around the yard all day keeping the squirrels off the fence and the lizards off the bushes. Is he OCD? I don't think so - he will come to me immediately when called - and will always prefer jolly ball over anything else. He just like to keep busy. Unfortunately - he does not have cattle or sheep for a job - so when he is not running, hiking or playing jolly ball this is something he does to entertain himself. He jumps like a kangaroo into the bushes - it is really amazing. He leaps around the yard after the squirrels - his athleticism is amazing.

Cody loves to be brushed - he tongue falls out the side of his month and his eyelids droop.

Getting a dog from rescue is sometimes a hard task. When we went to get Cody - the Jerri at SEBCR said he was the best dog to work with our other dog. They brought him out - he was huge ( I wanted a dog around 30#). The next four hours we looked at dogs. Finally we settled on Cody - because he did seem a good fit for Duchess and two - he was so big and goofy, I was concerned that he would be hard to place for the rescue. From the day that dog pranced into our life he has been amazing. Duchess loves him. My husband adores him, and I feel blessed everyday to have him a part of our family. Did I know when I was visiting him that he was going to be my heart dog? No - thank goodness sometimes we just get lucky. Good luck on your journey.

First off there is absolutely no reason that a border collie can't be taught to walk on a lead. It may take time if she is not used to it, but it can be done. The behavior with the bugs and dust sounds like OCD, but she could just like bugs. Lot's of excercise and mental excercises should help alleviate this. As far as grooming, if she will accept a brush, by all means keep using that. Just work the comb in while brushing if it is really needed. Good luck with her!

If those are the only issues with that dog I say go for it. My dog would hunt criquets all day if I let him. Big deal, they must be yummy. I think in a stable home with regular activities, a lot of those things you mentioned will go away. Also agree with the others, BCs are fine leash dogs. And you don't even have to get her a long one to let her run infront of you. She will probably just enjoy the bonding time.

Good luck!

Is it really a problem to have a bc on a leash?

No.

Granted, I don't do try to do loose leash or obedience style heeling, because I want my dogs to enjoy their walk, but I have no problems at all walking border collies on a leash. I use a standard 6ft leash -- with a coupler now I am walking two. You can use a long line for trails, but for daily walk, just a standard leash is enough.

My Senneca is OK with brushing until I get to her rear end. Then she suddenly decides that there is something much more important to do the other end of the room. It took a while before she would tolerate me brushing her britches and tail. Oddly, my foster, Rhys, never had any issues with grooming at all; he closes his eyes and enjoys every minute of it.

Great, thank you! I really think this is the dog for me. When she reached up and kissed me, that did it. I'll know tomorrow after seeing the other dog. Choosing can be so very hard!

Just to chime in on leashes, both of my dogs do very well on leashes. We haven't worked on the heel command yet, but neither of them try to pull my arm off when we walk.

I can't wait to find out which dog you choose! It's like reality TV... only better! :rolleyes:

I'll 8th the leash issue. All dogs need to be lead broke, or taught to walk on a leash. If you are truely worried, take a light leash back with you to where she lives now, place it on her and let her drag it around a little bit. Don't hold it, just let it hang. See how she responds to that. If that's OK, then pick it up and see what you got. If that's not ok, then I'd let her drag it around or sit(some dogs think they can't move when they get exposed to a leash for the first time) with it on till she got used to something being on her collar. After she's used to that, then you can go to step 2 and pick the leash up. It might take a while (like a few days) if she's never had a leash on but I truely don't know any dog that didn't get used to a leash after a while.

I would also think that as you got involved with agility her bug thing would fade to something normal. She'll have better things to do with her body and her brain so bugs won't seem so interesting. If not, and she is obsessed with them, as you get a handle on her (meaning you start to do training with her and get used to each other) you can train her to "leave it" and control the bug chasing.

The first foster I took in came with so many more issues, he's almost 13 now and you'd never know he had issues. btw, his issues were way worse that leash walking and bugs. He's one of the most lovingest dogs I've had though my door.

Good luck and welcome to the world of border collies, once you walk though the door, you won't want to walk back out!

I agree, the leash thing isn't an issue, may take some time but she will be fine.

Boots loves attacking bugs, especially flies and bees, we try to keep him from getting the bees, I can't imagine a sting in the mouth is a good thing. I think you will find that as you give her jobs, she'll forget about the bugs when you guys are working on something else, but may still play with them if you are just hanging around. Boots likes to guard the bbq area from any small buzzing, flying creatures. But as was stated above a quick 'leave it' command will shut him off immediately :rolleyes:

Keep us posted :D

Really, I'm surprised that the foster hasn't tried to leash train her. Part of fostering includes increasing the odds that the dog will successfully adapt to their new family. This includes trying to work out any behavioral issues the dog may have, as well as instilling basic obedience skills. As for brushing, pick up a bottle of Show Sheen from your local feed and tack store. It's a spray mane and tail detangler and works great on furry dog coats.

ETA Is your search going to include any of the charming boy dogs currently available with ABCR?

Just a quickie

I wouldn't do the brushing thing right away, if she need leash training and some basic ob. adding a brush is an awful lot for a dog to handle all at once. But I do agree a brush is way better than a comb and any detangler will make it easier.

For that problem here...I make sure to visit a pond, lake or creek where they can swim and the dirt washes off without real effort on my part. Plus the dogs havingfun so it's not a training issues at this time.

Really, I'm surprised that the foster hasn't tried to leash train her. Part of fostering includes increasing the odds that the dog will successfully adapt to their new family.
That's what I was thinking.

Don't worry about the leash, BC's do fine. Like any dog, leash training and acceptablility may vary. My Poke was loose on the streets for the first 6-7 months of his life. While he would love to be able to go leash-less and was difficult to train(not for pulling- he doesn't like being restrained around new dogs), my boy basically drags the leash next to me now and is fine. These dogs love consistency, and if Erica has to wear a leash every time you take her on a walk she will learn to love the leash for sake of the walk.

Good luck on meeting other dogs, just beware that the feeling of love at first sight will be hard to top. :D We knew from the start Poke was our boy, but met other dogs to be sure. Those other pups had no chance after watching Poke's whole hearted pathedic attempts at catching a frisbee. :rolleyes:

I should have mentioned, she does walk on a leash but he doesn't need to use one where he lives. He said he's taken her in the truck to places and had her on a leash. It just seemed a funny comment that bc's shouldn't be on a leash. Also, when she was into her bug thing, she did respond immediately when called.

I'm headed to Phoenix in a couple of hours to check out Siobhan, but I'm really thinking that Erica is the dog for me. There are a couple of males on the website that have potential for me, but this dog is really special. I'll put some pictures up tonight on my website.

I should have mentioned, she does walk on a leash but he doesn't need to use one where he lives. He said he's taken her in the truck to places and had her on a leash. It just seemed a funny comment that bc's shouldn't be on a leash.

Maybe it was meant in the context of the area where he lives. In Maricopa county, where I live, there is a leash law; all dogs must be on a leash or kept within an enclosure.

He's in Cochise County, in the Hereford area and it is very rural there. He was telling me how Erica is a typical bc in that she walks about 50 feet ahead and will stop if you get too far behind. It was interesting to watch and he did have her trained to stop at crossroads. I never got to see her walk on a leash. I asked him if she did, and he said yes, but that if you want a dog to walk on a leash, you should get a different breed.

I never got to see her walk on a leash. I asked him if she did, and he said yes, but that if you want a dog to walk on a leash, you should get a different breed.

Well, all I know is that the sheepdogs back home in Wales walk perfectly well on leash, when they're in town, even when they are hardly ever on leash out on the hills. I have a feeling that perhaps the hidden meaning behind the statement was that if you are getting a border collie, you should be planning to do more than leash walking; i.e. working sheep, agility, flyball or whatever.